Syndicator Threatens LPs for Negative Comment about them On BP

Syndicator Threatens LPs for Negative Comment about them On BP

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes

I don't know who needs to read this, but I feel it needs to be posted, publicly.

 Recently the following happened:

- BP Member posts negative statement about syndicator to these forums, involving lost money, poor communication, etc.

- Syndicator is radio silent, apparently pretending not to notice dozens or hundreds of discussions about their business. Syndicator does not respond to thread.

- Syndicator intimidates investor (who just lost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars investing with said syndicator) with legal threat

- Terrified LP, already having lost money, now is scared that wealthy syndicator could ruin them, and asks me to remove the forum post discussing the company

While I am in no position to verify the truth or falsity of claims made on these forums by LPs or GPs, to me, it seems like a special hell is emerging for investors where the following reality is possible:

- Invest tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars with a syndicator

- Lose all or most of this investment

- Get ghosted/poor communication from sponsor

- When they complain or ask for help, get threatened with legal action

I told the person with the original post the following: 

- Name the syndicator, and I will publicly call them out for their threat, if they confirm who it is. I will invite the syndicator to confirm or deny the threat publicly. The member who messaged me has not confirmed who it was and named two people in their post. Otherwise, I'd be naming them right now.

- If the syndicator actually sues this member, we will make the litigation a headline issue in every major BiggerPockets content channel, including YouTube, Blog, Podcast, and these forums. We will cover the story in detail, with regular updates, through to resolution. 

After all, Investors need to know which sponsors sue their own investors after allegedly losing their money and ghosting them.

- If the OP is lying, we will expose that and call out the syndicator's innocence, of course.

- If the OP is generally telling the truth, we will expose the syndicator's performance and behavior in threatening and suing their own investor as far and wide as we possibly can. We will evaluate their portfolio, estimating the purchase price and current value of every deal they've done from the beginning of time. We will research occupancy rates, and report on outcomes.

I am disgusted by the accusation, if true, made by this recent member, and while this is the most egregious situation to date, it's part of a disturbing pattern. The power dynamic between GP and LP is out of control. I have received multiple DMs from terrified members intimidated by wealthy sponsors, asking them to pull down their forum posts, even though they claim they posted truthful information.

We will rectify that power dynamic. 

Maybe some GPs can intimidate their own LPs in private. But, not here on BiggerPockets. If you do that, we will come after you.

Syndicators - by all means, defend your reputation and set the record straight. If someone says something untrue about your business, respond and tell us what's really going on. 

But, be warned, GPs - if you threaten your LPs for posting generally accurate negative stuff about you on BiggerPockets, we will make a public example of you for all to see.

119Reply
525 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian BurkePro Member
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
2y

@Scott Trench good on you for taking this position.  If the statements made in the post that seeded this are true, and what you said in this OP are true, this is one of the most disgusting things I’ve seen in my multiple decades in this industry, and gives the entire industry a black eye.

If this company pursues litigation, I would love to be on that jury.  Foreperson: “your honor, let me get this straight, the plaintiff lost the defendant’s money, didn’t tell them, ignored their calls, and left their voice mail box full so no one could reach them, and now the plaintiff is asking me to award them damages because the defendant complained about it?”  Good luck with that one—I doubt any syndicators would find a sympathetic jury in such a case.

Scott, you and I have debated the concept of “skin in the game” for years. I preached in “The Hands-Off Investor”, as well as on stage every year in my presentations at BPCON, that one of the strongest forms of “skin in the game” is “does the sponsor have a brand to protect?”  I think this is the strongest example I’ve seen illustrating what I mean by that statement.

A sponsor that has a strong brand to protect (meaning not only are they well known, but have a positive track record and a long time in business) will go to the end of the earth to protect their investor’s interest.  If things aren’t going well, they will clearly and transparently communicate with the investors.  They will answer every question and respond quickly to every inquiry. If they got called out publicly, they would tell their side, even if that means admitting they messed up.  They would do all this because if they didn’t, people would find out and then their career as a syndicator is over. Because of their strong brand, they couldn’t just resurface the next day with a new name and new logo and continue on, because people would know and not trust them.  Weak brands can just change name and logo and start over, and most people wouldn’t know the difference.

See this reply in the discussion

94 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:

    Investors bear responsibility for doing their due diligence on any investment they make - or being willing to suffer the consequences IF the sponsor/syndicator did the following and possessed the following 

    1. Laid out all the risks beforehand

    2. Vetted the investors so that it was reasonable to belief that each investor understood the risks and could afford to lose their investment

    3. Had the ability, experience, and knowledge to succeed

    4. Disclosed all fees, compensation and incentives

    5. Operated on a fiduciary capacity


    in other words if the above was done and the investment still went south, then that’s just x% outcome (risk) occurring, and a natural part of the investment process.  We’ve got to separate this type of loss from those in which the 5 items listed above weren’t followed. 


     I cannot agree with this more.   Every LP should realize there is risk even if the sponsor does a good job.  In the recent times it was easy to forget this when many/most syndications were achieving 20%+ annual returns.   Did LPs believe such returns were being achieved at zero risk?

    I am an LP in a syndication that I believe is struggling.   The sponsors continue to state an all is good sentiment, but distributions do not lie.   If the distributions do not start when they were projected, that is an early indicator that things may not be going well.   I would like more frank communication.

    My other syndications appear to be doing fine but one was a conservative offering (lower risk but also lower upside).  The other is a non-traditional offering (higher risk and ideally higher return that even with some large issues seems likely to hit the high returns and is very frank about the problems they have encountered).  

  • Investor · Passiveadvantage.com · Member since 2019 · 166 posts · 91 votes
    1y

    The nature of the limited partner and syndicator relationship is at best "holding information back" and at worst "deceptive or untruthful".  This dynamic needs to change and hopefully difficult times like we are currently in will force limited partners to demands more transparency.  Some of us in the industry are fighting to help with that for the limited partner, and hopefully that comes to fruition in the near future.  

  • Investor · UT · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 26 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Scott Trench:
    Quote from @Cheryl A.:
    Quote from @Scott Trench:

    I don't know who needs to read this, but I feel it needs to be posted, publicly.

     Recently the following happened:

    - BP Member posts negative statement about syndicator to these forums, involving lost money, poor communication, etc.

    - Syndicator is radio silent, apparently pretending not to notice dozens or hundreds of discussions about their business. Syndicator does not respond to thread.

    - Syndicator intimidates investor (who just lost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars investing with said syndicator) with legal threat

    - Terrified LP, already having lost money, now is scared that wealthy syndicator could ruin them, and asks me to remove the forum post discussing the company

    While I am in no position to verify the truth or falsity of claims made on these forums by LPs or GPs, to me, it seems like a special hell is emerging for investors where the following reality is possible:

    - Invest tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars with a syndicator

    - Lose all or most of this investment

    - Get ghosted/poor communication from sponsor

    - When they complain or ask for help, get threatened with legal action

    I told the person with the original post the following: 

    - Name the syndicator, and I will publicly call them out for their threat, if they confirm who it is. I will invite the syndicator to confirm or deny the threat publicly. The member who messaged me has not confirmed who it was and named two people in their post. Otherwise, I'd be naming them right now.

    - If the syndicator actually sues this member, we will make the litigation a headline issue in every major BiggerPockets content channel, including YouTube, Blog, Podcast, and these forums. We will cover the story in detail, with regular updates, through to resolution. 

    After all, Investors need to know which sponsors sue their own investors after allegedly losing their money and ghosting them.

    - If the OP is lying, we will expose that and call out the syndicator's innocence, of course.

    - If the OP is generally telling the truth, we will expose the syndicator's performance and behavior in threatening and suing their own investor as far and wide as we possibly can. We will evaluate their portfolio, estimating the purchase price and current value of every deal they've done from the beginning of time. We will research occupancy rates, and report on outcomes.

    I am disgusted by the accusation, if true, made by this recent member, and while this is the most egregious situation to date, it's part of a disturbing pattern. The power dynamic between GP and LP is out of control. I have received multiple DMs from terrified members intimidated by wealthy sponsors, asking them to pull down their forum posts, even though they claim they posted truthful information.

    We will rectify that power dynamic. 

    Maybe some GPs can intimidate their own LPs in private. But, not here on BiggerPockets. If you do that, we will come after you.

    Syndicators - by all means, defend your reputation and set the record straight. If someone says something untrue about your business, respond and tell us what's really going on. 

    But, be warned, GPs - if you threaten your LPs for posting generally accurate negative stuff about you on BiggerPockets, we will make a public example of you for all to see.

    Hi Scott, thanks for starting this thread. This happened to me recently. I invested two deals with Djuric Family Office (DFO) also know as Blake Capital Group. When the first deal failed I turned to BP to get answers to questions I had that were not being answered by DFO and share my experience with other LPs.

    Within a few days I received an email DFO stating:

    "I will be sending you a legal letter in the mail and email tomorrow regarding your false and misleading internet comments."

    To date no letter has been received.

    The second deal just failed with complete loss of all investments. I'll be updating my experience on BP, so who knows what will happen next.



     Cheryl - I am facing a VERY interesting situation (not with Djuric family office / Blake Capital Group but with another sponsor). 

    Basically, it is clear that this sponsor lost all of their investor's money, and multiple investors claim that the sponsor lost their money, ghosted them, and behaved inappropriately. 

    But, none of them are willing to discuss the matter on the record. We put a journalist on a particular story, and no source is willing to discuss the situation publicly. 

    To me, THAT is the story. LPs who feel mistreated/robbed/lied to are too scared to say anything. 

    You are an extremely rare breed in being willing to discuss a sponsor in a negatively light publicly. 

    How do we change this dynamic? We want people to discuss sponsors like they'd discuss plumbers - the good, the bad, and the ugly, with 5 star ratings. 

    The only place we can get some semblance of this is on PassivePockets.com, where some sponsors are reviewed by LPs behind an LP-only wall. 

    Why do you think folks are so afraid to speak up?


     I agree. I think one thing people who do not want to go public is they can shift the story but focus on truth not opinions.  When you go blasting people for ponzi etc without proof I would never do that, but if you lost money in a deal a way to shape it was?

    Wow - did you see XYZ syndicator who owned 123 Main St was foreclosed on the deal and the property was taken back by the lender? This must be very unfortunate for the investors because they had only sourced 70% debt so 30% of the equity from investors went poof..

    Re: threat of legal letter, personally I would post that online and say "wow, see the response I finally get"... (Not legal advice or noting you should do this, just what I would do" and then ask "happy to let this play out in court and go to discovery - love to see how you financially handled this... and oh by the way, please refrain from destroying any documents, emails etc. as it relates to this deal for discovery purposes..."

    The US has consumer protection rights that should apply to this space. 

    The Federal Trade Consumer’s Bureau of Consumer Protection stops unfair, deceptive and fraudulent business practices by collecting reports from consumers and conducting investigations, suing companies and people that break the law, developing rules to maintain a fair marketplace, and educating consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities.

    In all other industries consumers are able to rate the performance of service providers and potential investors have a right to have these insights. For some of us the $$$ we invest is very significant. 

    How you share your feedback does matter. I share my experience based on truths and facts and have evidence to support them should this end up in court. 

    I'm speaking up because the Djuric Family Office failed to operate the deal according to the promises they made to investors.

    Promised -> Received
    - Quarterly investor reports -> were either not received unless I asked for them, or they were received 2-3 months late.
    - K-1s by end Q1 -> K-1s received Sept-Oct every year.
    - Robust investor portal -> portal not actively used.
    - Direct investment in the deals -> one of the deals turned out to be a fund of funds investment.
    - Prompt & transparent communications -> very poor, e.g. in Apr 2024 I was informed the property had been foreclosed in Dec 2023. 
    - Lead operator in the deals -> well not really. 

    Had this information been available to me before I invested with DFO I would have passed. 

    • Don KonipolBusiness Member
      Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Cheryl A.:
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      Quote from @Scott Trench:
      Quote from @Cheryl A.:
      Quote from @Scott Trench:

      I don't know who needs to read this, but I feel it needs to be posted, publicly.

       Recently the following happened:

      - BP Member posts negative statement about syndicator to these forums, involving lost money, poor communication, etc.

      - Syndicator is radio silent, apparently pretending not to notice dozens or hundreds of discussions about their business. Syndicator does not respond to thread.

      - Syndicator intimidates investor (who just lost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars investing with said syndicator) with legal threat

      - Terrified LP, already having lost money, now is scared that wealthy syndicator could ruin them, and asks me to remove the forum post discussing the company

      While I am in no position to verify the truth or falsity of claims made on these forums by LPs or GPs, to me, it seems like a special hell is emerging for investors where the following reality is possible:

      - Invest tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars with a syndicator

      - Lose all or most of this investment

      - Get ghosted/poor communication from sponsor

      - When they complain or ask for help, get threatened with legal action

      I told the person with the original post the following: 

      - Name the syndicator, and I will publicly call them out for their threat, if they confirm who it is. I will invite the syndicator to confirm or deny the threat publicly. The member who messaged me has not confirmed who it was and named two people in their post. Otherwise, I'd be naming them right now.

      - If the syndicator actually sues this member, we will make the litigation a headline issue in every major BiggerPockets content channel, including YouTube, Blog, Podcast, and these forums. We will cover the story in detail, with regular updates, through to resolution. 

      After all, Investors need to know which sponsors sue their own investors after allegedly losing their money and ghosting them.

      - If the OP is lying, we will expose that and call out the syndicator's innocence, of course.

      - If the OP is generally telling the truth, we will expose the syndicator's performance and behavior in threatening and suing their own investor as far and wide as we possibly can. We will evaluate their portfolio, estimating the purchase price and current value of every deal they've done from the beginning of time. We will research occupancy rates, and report on outcomes.

      I am disgusted by the accusation, if true, made by this recent member, and while this is the most egregious situation to date, it's part of a disturbing pattern. The power dynamic between GP and LP is out of control. I have received multiple DMs from terrified members intimidated by wealthy sponsors, asking them to pull down their forum posts, even though they claim they posted truthful information.

      We will rectify that power dynamic. 

      Maybe some GPs can intimidate their own LPs in private. But, not here on BiggerPockets. If you do that, we will come after you.

      Syndicators - by all means, defend your reputation and set the record straight. If someone says something untrue about your business, respond and tell us what's really going on. 

      But, be warned, GPs - if you threaten your LPs for posting generally accurate negative stuff about you on BiggerPockets, we will make a public example of you for all to see.

      Hi Scott, thanks for starting this thread. This happened to me recently. I invested two deals with Djuric Family Office (DFO) also know as Blake Capital Group. When the first deal failed I turned to BP to get answers to questions I had that were not being answered by DFO and share my experience with other LPs.

      Within a few days I received an email DFO stating:

      "I will be sending you a legal letter in the mail and email tomorrow regarding your false and misleading internet comments."

      To date no letter has been received.

      The second deal just failed with complete loss of all investments. I'll be updating my experience on BP, so who knows what will happen next.



       Cheryl - I am facing a VERY interesting situation (not with Djuric family office / Blake Capital Group but with another sponsor). 

      Basically, it is clear that this sponsor lost all of their investor's money, and multiple investors claim that the sponsor lost their money, ghosted them, and behaved inappropriately. 

      But, none of them are willing to discuss the matter on the record. We put a journalist on a particular story, and no source is willing to discuss the situation publicly. 

      To me, THAT is the story. LPs who feel mistreated/robbed/lied to are too scared to say anything. 

      You are an extremely rare breed in being willing to discuss a sponsor in a negatively light publicly. 

      How do we change this dynamic? We want people to discuss sponsors like they'd discuss plumbers - the good, the bad, and the ugly, with 5 star ratings. 

      The only place we can get some semblance of this is on PassivePockets.com, where some sponsors are reviewed by LPs behind an LP-only wall. 

      Why do you think folks are so afraid to speak up?


       I agree. I think one thing people who do not want to go public is they can shift the story but focus on truth not opinions.  When you go blasting people for ponzi etc without proof I would never do that, but if you lost money in a deal a way to shape it was?

      Wow - did you see XYZ syndicator who owned 123 Main St was foreclosed on the deal and the property was taken back by the lender? This must be very unfortunate for the investors because they had only sourced 70% debt so 30% of the equity from investors went poof..

      Re: threat of legal letter, personally I would post that online and say "wow, see the response I finally get"... (Not legal advice or noting you should do this, just what I would do" and then ask "happy to let this play out in court and go to discovery - love to see how you financially handled this... and oh by the way, please refrain from destroying any documents, emails etc. as it relates to this deal for discovery purposes..."

      The US has consumer protection rights that should apply to this space. 

      The Federal Trade Consumer’s Bureau of Consumer Protection stops unfair, deceptive and fraudulent business practices by collecting reports from consumers and conducting investigations, suing companies and people that break the law, developing rules to maintain a fair marketplace, and educating consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities.

      In all other industries consumers are able to rate the performance of service providers and potential investors have a right to have these insights. For some of us the $$$ we invest is very significant. 

      How you share your feedback does matter. I share my experience based on truths and facts and have evidence to support them should this end up in court. 

      I'm speaking up because the Djuric Family Office failed to operate the deal according to the promises they made to investors.

      Promised -> Received
      - Quarterly investor reports -> were either not received unless I asked for them, or they were received 2-3 months late.
      - K-1s by end Q1 -> K-1s received Sept-Oct every year.
      - Robust investor portal -> portal not actively used.
      - Direct investment in the deals -> one of the deals turned out to be a fund of funds investment.
      - Prompt & transparent communications -> very poor, e.g. in Apr 2024 I was informed the property had been foreclosed in Dec 2023. 
      - Lead operator in the deals -> well not really. 

      Had this information been available to me before I invested with DFO I would have passed. 

        Your points are precise, and show an obvious disregard for the investors by the sponsor.  There is absolutely no excuse for the tardiness of financial reports, or information to investors, UNLESS the sponsor has run out of money to pay account/attorney, or employees; the sponsor is trying to come up with a way to “creatively” deliver misleading information, or the sponsor just doesn’t want to acknowledge reality.  None of these reasons are sufficient to justify a failure of fiduciary responsibility. 

        IF investors are advised before making their investment that there are risks and problems can occur, then the sponsor should be able to keep investors informed of problems without “shame of failure”.  As we tell our investors who participate in the commercial loans we originate or purchase - a certain percentage (about 5 - 10% ) will go into default. A certain percentage of these will end up in foreclosure. A certain percentage of these will end with us owning the property. And a very small percentage of these will have to be liquidated at a loss.  So if someone invests in 20 of our syndicated loans, they should know that chances are one or two will have problems.  By making sure that (1) the investors are aware of this before investing (and not just by putting this on page 32 of the PPM, but by conversation and email trail), (2) that the investors have a certain minimum net worth and or income (and not just by SELF certification), and (3) that the investors don’t put all their eggs (investment $) in one basket(loan participation) we avoid all the drama when the inevitable one out of ten or twenty investmemt doesn’t work out as planned. 
        Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
      • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
        Moderator
        Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
        1y
        Quote from @Cheryl A.:
        Quote from @Chris Seveney:
        Quote from @Scott Trench:
        Quote from @Cheryl A.:
        Quote from @Scott Trench:

        I don't know who needs to read this, but I feel it needs to be posted, publicly.

         Recently the following happened:

        - BP Member posts negative statement about syndicator to these forums, involving lost money, poor communication, etc.

        - Syndicator is radio silent, apparently pretending not to notice dozens or hundreds of discussions about their business. Syndicator does not respond to thread.

        - Syndicator intimidates investor (who just lost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars investing with said syndicator) with legal threat

        - Terrified LP, already having lost money, now is scared that wealthy syndicator could ruin them, and asks me to remove the forum post discussing the company

        While I am in no position to verify the truth or falsity of claims made on these forums by LPs or GPs, to me, it seems like a special hell is emerging for investors where the following reality is possible:

        - Invest tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars with a syndicator

        - Lose all or most of this investment

        - Get ghosted/poor communication from sponsor

        - When they complain or ask for help, get threatened with legal action

        I told the person with the original post the following: 

        - Name the syndicator, and I will publicly call them out for their threat, if they confirm who it is. I will invite the syndicator to confirm or deny the threat publicly. The member who messaged me has not confirmed who it was and named two people in their post. Otherwise, I'd be naming them right now.

        - If the syndicator actually sues this member, we will make the litigation a headline issue in every major BiggerPockets content channel, including YouTube, Blog, Podcast, and these forums. We will cover the story in detail, with regular updates, through to resolution. 

        After all, Investors need to know which sponsors sue their own investors after allegedly losing their money and ghosting them.

        - If the OP is lying, we will expose that and call out the syndicator's innocence, of course.

        - If the OP is generally telling the truth, we will expose the syndicator's performance and behavior in threatening and suing their own investor as far and wide as we possibly can. We will evaluate their portfolio, estimating the purchase price and current value of every deal they've done from the beginning of time. We will research occupancy rates, and report on outcomes.

        I am disgusted by the accusation, if true, made by this recent member, and while this is the most egregious situation to date, it's part of a disturbing pattern. The power dynamic between GP and LP is out of control. I have received multiple DMs from terrified members intimidated by wealthy sponsors, asking them to pull down their forum posts, even though they claim they posted truthful information.

        We will rectify that power dynamic. 

        Maybe some GPs can intimidate their own LPs in private. But, not here on BiggerPockets. If you do that, we will come after you.

        Syndicators - by all means, defend your reputation and set the record straight. If someone says something untrue about your business, respond and tell us what's really going on. 

        But, be warned, GPs - if you threaten your LPs for posting generally accurate negative stuff about you on BiggerPockets, we will make a public example of you for all to see.

        Hi Scott, thanks for starting this thread. This happened to me recently. I invested two deals with Djuric Family Office (DFO) also know as Blake Capital Group. When the first deal failed I turned to BP to get answers to questions I had that were not being answered by DFO and share my experience with other LPs.

        Within a few days I received an email DFO stating:

        "I will be sending you a legal letter in the mail and email tomorrow regarding your false and misleading internet comments."

        To date no letter has been received.

        The second deal just failed with complete loss of all investments. I'll be updating my experience on BP, so who knows what will happen next.



         Cheryl - I am facing a VERY interesting situation (not with Djuric family office / Blake Capital Group but with another sponsor). 

        Basically, it is clear that this sponsor lost all of their investor's money, and multiple investors claim that the sponsor lost their money, ghosted them, and behaved inappropriately. 

        But, none of them are willing to discuss the matter on the record. We put a journalist on a particular story, and no source is willing to discuss the situation publicly. 

        To me, THAT is the story. LPs who feel mistreated/robbed/lied to are too scared to say anything. 

        You are an extremely rare breed in being willing to discuss a sponsor in a negatively light publicly. 

        How do we change this dynamic? We want people to discuss sponsors like they'd discuss plumbers - the good, the bad, and the ugly, with 5 star ratings. 

        The only place we can get some semblance of this is on PassivePockets.com, where some sponsors are reviewed by LPs behind an LP-only wall. 

        Why do you think folks are so afraid to speak up?


         I agree. I think one thing people who do not want to go public is they can shift the story but focus on truth not opinions.  When you go blasting people for ponzi etc without proof I would never do that, but if you lost money in a deal a way to shape it was?

        Wow - did you see XYZ syndicator who owned 123 Main St was foreclosed on the deal and the property was taken back by the lender? This must be very unfortunate for the investors because they had only sourced 70% debt so 30% of the equity from investors went poof..

        Re: threat of legal letter, personally I would post that online and say "wow, see the response I finally get"... (Not legal advice or noting you should do this, just what I would do" and then ask "happy to let this play out in court and go to discovery - love to see how you financially handled this... and oh by the way, please refrain from destroying any documents, emails etc. as it relates to this deal for discovery purposes..."

        The US has consumer protection rights that should apply to this space. 

        The Federal Trade Consumer’s Bureau of Consumer Protection stops unfair, deceptive and fraudulent business practices by collecting reports from consumers and conducting investigations, suing companies and people that break the law, developing rules to maintain a fair marketplace, and educating consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities.

        In all other industries consumers are able to rate the performance of service providers and potential investors have a right to have these insights. For some of us the $$$ we invest is very significant. 

        How you share your feedback does matter. I share my experience based on truths and facts and have evidence to support them should this end up in court. 

        I'm speaking up because the Djuric Family Office failed to operate the deal according to the promises they made to investors.

        Promised -> Received
        - Quarterly investor reports -> were either not received unless I asked for them, or they were received 2-3 months late.
        - K-1s by end Q1 -> K-1s received Sept-Oct every year.
        - Robust investor portal -> portal not actively used.
        - Direct investment in the deals -> one of the deals turned out to be a fund of funds investment.
        - Prompt & transparent communications -> very poor, e.g. in Apr 2024 I was informed the property had been foreclosed in Dec 2023. 
        - Lead operator in the deals -> well not really. 

        Had this information been available to me before I invested with DFO I would have passed. 


           What makes it more frustrating for LP's is when the sponsor has facebook ads and youtube videos promoting their next raise or guru course that if you click on the link and sign up they will have somoene call you within 24 hours to invest, but their current investor pool on failing deals cannot receive the time of day. Those are the things people should also call them out on in a social forum as well. 

          7e investments53 Reviews
        • Investor · UT · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 26 votes
          1y
          Quote from @Duke Giordano:

          The nature of the limited partner and syndicator relationship is at best "holding information back" and at worst "deceptive or untruthful".  This dynamic needs to change and hopefully difficult times like we are currently in will force limited partners to demands more transparency.  Some of us in the industry are fighting to help with that for the limited partner, and hopefully that comes to fruition in the near future.  

          Agree, that is my why! My greatest pain point is not that the deals failed, although that certainly adds salt to the wounds, it's the poor communication, false narratives, chasing (almost begging) for updates, lack of full disclosure, the smoke and mirrors, etc. These are areas GPs can control and I guess choosing not to. 

          Also interesting in my situation when the deals began to fail the gps started distancing themselves from each other, which leads me to think the gps really had no or limited experience managing deals together. Lots of pointing fingers when things fall apart.

          Question: during this 3 year run two of the gps have spun up and are now operating under new investment entities. Thoughts on why this might be? Is this a common trend? 

          On the flip side of all of this, I'm in a few deals where the GPs have been very good, complete opposite experience. Having a safe forum for LPs the share their experiences is needed.

          Cheryl 




        • Don KonipolBusiness Member
          Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
          1y
          Quote from @Cheryl A.:
          Quote from @Duke Giordano:

          The nature of the limited partner and syndicator relationship is at best "holding information back" and at worst "deceptive or untruthful".  This dynamic needs to change and hopefully difficult times like we are currently in will force limited partners to demands more transparency.  Some of us in the industry are fighting to help with that for the limited partner, and hopefully that comes to fruition in the near future.  

          Agree, that is my why! My greatest pain point is not that the deals failed, although that certainly adds salt to the wounds, it's the poor communication, false narratives, chasing (almost begging) for updates, lack of full disclosure, the smoke and mirrors, etc. These are areas GPs can control and I guess choosing not to. 

          Also interesting in my situation when the deals began to fail the gps started distancing themselves from each other, which leads me to think the gps really had no or limited experience managing deals together. Lots of pointing fingers when things fall apart.

          Question: during this 3 year run two of the gps have spun up and are now operating under new investment entities. Thoughts on why this might be? Is this a common trend? 

          On the flip side of all of this, I'm in a few deals where the GPs have been very good, complete opposite experience. Having a safe forum for LPs the share their experiences is needed.

          Cheryl 




          In EVERY business there are two kinds of market participants; the people/companies in it for the long haul, through both good and not so good economic times, consisting of EXPERIENCED, PROFESSIONALS whose careers are dedicated to and dependent on fulfilling the needs of their clients/customers.
          The other type of participant are in the particular business because it’s OPPORTUNISTIC for them to be in it AT THE TIME.  This year they’re real estate syndicators; three years hence they’re running and selling oil drilling participations, after that they’re involved in fin tech.  

          A friend of mine used to do that. At various times during the past 25 years he “specialized” in oil and gas drilling, franchise sales, surgical center investments, office centers, start up incubators, vitamins, mobile washing equipment, cemetery syndications, residential mortgage brokerage, commercial mortgage brokerage, insurance as an investment, long term care insurance, and property development in Mexico.  

          Investors need to do a thorough background check on the key INDIVIDUALS that they would be relying on to invest and manage their money.  Every “resume” is going to be biased to make the individual look better than they are, but a hard reading and further research should uncover some hard facts.

          To include some humor, here are some “facts” I’ve seen provided on syndicators websites, and what I think the reality is

          1. “Attended” university of Pennsylvania …………… signed up for a free introductory day and never came back
          2. Management team has over 20 years experience……..no one has been in any business for more than 2 years
          3. Uses big data to identify properties ……….has a subscription to Loopnet
          4. No one has ever lost a dollar…………we use new investor money to make up loses of old investors
          5. We are with you every step of the way……..until your check clears

          please do a thorough vetting of any investment you make, at least if it is a size where a loss will cause you concern.  
          Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
        • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
          Moderator
          Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
          1y
          Quote from @Don Konipol:
          Quote from @Cheryl A.:
          Quote from @Duke Giordano:

          The nature of the limited partner and syndicator relationship is at best "holding information back" and at worst "deceptive or untruthful".  This dynamic needs to change and hopefully difficult times like we are currently in will force limited partners to demands more transparency.  Some of us in the industry are fighting to help with that for the limited partner, and hopefully that comes to fruition in the near future.  

          Agree, that is my why! My greatest pain point is not that the deals failed, although that certainly adds salt to the wounds, it's the poor communication, false narratives, chasing (almost begging) for updates, lack of full disclosure, the smoke and mirrors, etc. These are areas GPs can control and I guess choosing not to. 

          Also interesting in my situation when the deals began to fail the gps started distancing themselves from each other, which leads me to think the gps really had no or limited experience managing deals together. Lots of pointing fingers when things fall apart.

          Question: during this 3 year run two of the gps have spun up and are now operating under new investment entities. Thoughts on why this might be? Is this a common trend? 

          On the flip side of all of this, I'm in a few deals where the GPs have been very good, complete opposite experience. Having a safe forum for LPs the share their experiences is needed.

          Cheryl 




          In EVERY business there are two kinds of market participants; the people/companies in it for the long haul, through both good and not so good economic times, consisting of EXPERIENCED, PROFESSIONALS whose careers are dedicated to and dependent on fulfilling the needs of their clients/customers.
          The other type of participant are in the particular business because it’s OPPORTUNISTIC for them to be in it AT THE TIME.  This year they’re real estate syndicators; three years hence they’re running and selling oil drilling participations, after that they’re involved in fin tech.  

          A friend of mine used to do that. At various times during the past 25 years he “specialized” in oil and gas drilling, franchise sales, surgical center investments, office centers, start up incubators, vitamins, mobile washing equipment, cemetery syndications, residential mortgage brokerage, commercial mortgage brokerage, insurance as an investment, long term care insurance, and property development in Mexico.  

          Investors need to do a thorough background check on the key INDIVIDUALS that they would be relying on to invest and manage their money.  Every “resume” is going to be biased to make the individual look better than they are, but a hard reading and further research should uncover some hard facts.

          To include some humor, here are some “facts” I’ve seen provided on syndicators websites, and what I think the reality is

          1. “Attended” university of Pennsylvania …………… signed up for a free introductory day and never came back
          2. Management team has over 20 years experience……..no one has been in any business for more than 2 years
          3. Uses big data to identify properties ……….has a subscription to Loopnet
          4. No one has ever lost a dollar…………we use new investor money to make up loses of old investors
          5. We are with you every step of the way……..until your check clears

          please do a thorough vetting of any investment you make, at least if it is a size where a loss will cause you concern.  

           I saw one earlier this year where the individual worked for a failed multifamily syndication as an underwriter. They "started their own company" trying to raise money and on the website they had quotes from some people who worked at large companies making it sound like testimonial to this person. I reached out to one of them with a screenshot of the quote and the company this person started.

          They were shocked/upset as they had worked with this person when he was an employee at another company and the testimonial was not for this company or this person specifically. 

          The person had never done a deal on their own but based on their website it looked like they did $100M deals... No where did it say these were projects from a prior company he worked for.

          7e investments53 Reviews
        • Investor · UT · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 26 votes
          1y
          Quote from @Don Konipol:
          Quote from @Cheryl A.:
          Quote from @Duke Giordano:

          The nature of the limited partner and syndicator relationship is at best "holding information back" and at worst "deceptive or untruthful".  This dynamic needs to change and hopefully difficult times like we are currently in will force limited partners to demands more transparency.  Some of us in the industry are fighting to help with that for the limited partner, and hopefully that comes to fruition in the near future.  

          Agree, that is my why! My greatest pain point is not that the deals failed, although that certainly adds salt to the wounds, it's the poor communication, false narratives, chasing (almost begging) for updates, lack of full disclosure, the smoke and mirrors, etc. These are areas GPs can control and I guess choosing not to. 

          Also interesting in my situation when the deals began to fail the gps started distancing themselves from each other, which leads me to think the gps really had no or limited experience managing deals together. Lots of pointing fingers when things fall apart.

          Question: during this 3 year run two of the gps have spun up and are now operating under new investment entities. Thoughts on why this might be? Is this a common trend? 

          On the flip side of all of this, I'm in a few deals where the GPs have been very good, complete opposite experience. Having a safe forum for LPs the share their experiences is needed.

          Cheryl 




          In EVERY business there are two kinds of market participants; the people/companies in it for the long haul, through both good and not so good economic times, consisting of EXPERIENCED, PROFESSIONALS whose careers are dedicated to and dependent on fulfilling the needs of their clients/customers.
          The other type of participant are in the particular business because it’s OPPORTUNISTIC for them to be in it AT THE TIME.  This year they’re real estate syndicators; three years hence they’re running and selling oil drilling participations, after that they’re involved in fin tech.  

          A friend of mine used to do that. At various times during the past 25 years he “specialized” in oil and gas drilling, franchise sales, surgical center investments, office centers, start up incubators, vitamins, mobile washing equipment, cemetery syndications, residential mortgage brokerage, commercial mortgage brokerage, insurance as an investment, long term care insurance, and property development in Mexico.  

          Investors need to do a thorough background check on the key INDIVIDUALS that they would be relying on to invest and manage their money.  Every “resume” is going to be biased to make the individual look better than they are, but a hard reading and further research should uncover some hard facts.

          To include some humor, here are some “facts” I’ve seen provided on syndicators websites, and what I think the reality is

          1. “Attended” university of Pennsylvania …………… signed up for a free introductory day and never came back
          2. Management team has over 20 years experience……..no one has been in any business for more than 2 years
          3. Uses big data to identify properties ……….has a subscription to Loopnet
          4. No one has ever lost a dollar…………we use new investor money to make up loses of old investors
          5. We are with you every step of the way……..until your check clears

          please do a thorough vetting of any investment you make, at least if it is a size where a loss will cause you concern.  

           Sigh - the first failed deal was stamped with #4  :-/

        • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
          Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
          1y
          Quote from @Chris Seveney:
          Quote from @Don Konipol:
          Quote from @Cheryl A.:
          Quote from @Duke Giordano:

          The nature of the limited partner and syndicator relationship is at best "holding information back" and at worst "deceptive or untruthful".  This dynamic needs to change and hopefully difficult times like we are currently in will force limited partners to demands more transparency.  Some of us in the industry are fighting to help with that for the limited partner, and hopefully that comes to fruition in the near future.  

          Agree, that is my why! My greatest pain point is not that the deals failed, although that certainly adds salt to the wounds, it's the poor communication, false narratives, chasing (almost begging) for updates, lack of full disclosure, the smoke and mirrors, etc. These are areas GPs can control and I guess choosing not to. 

          Also interesting in my situation when the deals began to fail the gps started distancing themselves from each other, which leads me to think the gps really had no or limited experience managing deals together. Lots of pointing fingers when things fall apart.

          Question: during this 3 year run two of the gps have spun up and are now operating under new investment entities. Thoughts on why this might be? Is this a common trend? 

          On the flip side of all of this, I'm in a few deals where the GPs have been very good, complete opposite experience. Having a safe forum for LPs the share their experiences is needed.

          Cheryl 




          In EVERY business there are two kinds of market participants; the people/companies in it for the long haul, through both good and not so good economic times, consisting of EXPERIENCED, PROFESSIONALS whose careers are dedicated to and dependent on fulfilling the needs of their clients/customers.
          The other type of participant are in the particular business because it’s OPPORTUNISTIC for them to be in it AT THE TIME.  This year they’re real estate syndicators; three years hence they’re running and selling oil drilling participations, after that they’re involved in fin tech.  

          A friend of mine used to do that. At various times during the past 25 years he “specialized” in oil and gas drilling, franchise sales, surgical center investments, office centers, start up incubators, vitamins, mobile washing equipment, cemetery syndications, residential mortgage brokerage, commercial mortgage brokerage, insurance as an investment, long term care insurance, and property development in Mexico.  

          Investors need to do a thorough background check on the key INDIVIDUALS that they would be relying on to invest and manage their money.  Every “resume” is going to be biased to make the individual look better than they are, but a hard reading and further research should uncover some hard facts.

          To include some humor, here are some “facts” I’ve seen provided on syndicators websites, and what I think the reality is

          1. “Attended” university of Pennsylvania …………… signed up for a free introductory day and never came back
          2. Management team has over 20 years experience……..no one has been in any business for more than 2 years
          3. Uses big data to identify properties ……….has a subscription to Loopnet
          4. No one has ever lost a dollar…………we use new investor money to make up loses of old investors
          5. We are with you every step of the way……..until your check clears

          please do a thorough vetting of any investment you make, at least if it is a size where a loss will cause you concern.  

           I saw one earlier this year where the individual worked for a failed multifamily syndication as an underwriter. They "started their own company" trying to raise money and on the website they had quotes from some people who worked at large companies making it sound like testimonial to this person. I reached out to one of them with a screenshot of the quote and the company this person started.

          They were shocked/upset as they had worked with this person when he was an employee at another company and the testimonial was not for this company or this person specifically. 

          The person had never done a deal on their own but based on their website it looked like they did $100M deals... No where did it say these were projects from a prior company he worked for.


          fake it till you make it.. but everyone has to start somewhere :)
        • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
          1y

          @Don Konipol, and this is just the "sponsor level" info.  
          "Class B neighborhood"... Our management team isn't going to be staffing the property after dark.
          "Major City" MSA...  We are the VERY last 1/10 mile inside the farthest reaching corner of the MSA.  
          "Interest Rate fixed for 3 yrs"... We paid MILLIONS in a 3 yr cap to make you think we have mitigated the risks of floating rate debt. (which also means, we need to raise NOI 30% just to break even at sale).

          At the end of the day, as an LP, you need to take everything printed in a syndicators deck with a grain of salt.  Most aren't putting anything inaccurate in the deck, but they anything in there is designed to create an emotional response to the property, and anything NOT in there is intentionally left out.  

          A great thing to do is to "collect" these decks from each group.  Compare what info and how they talk about certain topics in one deck to the next.  

        • Investor · Nederland, CO · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 0 votes
          1y

          I am discouraged to see one LP (Googled his name and keyword "lawsuit," see below) actively still advertising here.  I have communicated with other investors, providing evidence of wrongdoing to FINRA, as well as several lawyers.  I'd advise folks avoid them at all costs.  It would be a wonderful gift from the site moderators to have their advertising and "expert advice" content removed from here as well, but that's above my pay grade.

          https://trellis.law/case/36061/653431-2024/electra-capital-p...

          • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
            Moderator
            Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
            1y
            Quote from @John Bueling:

            I am discouraged to see one LP (Googled his name and keyword "lawsuit," see below) actively still advertising here.  I have communicated with other investors, providing evidence of wrongdoing to FINRA, as well as several lawyers.  I'd advise folks avoid them at all costs.  It would be a wonderful gift from the site moderators to have their advertising and "expert advice" content removed from here as well, but that's above my pay grade.

            https://trellis.law/case/36061/653431-2024/electra-capital-p...


             John

            I will comment only on your actions- but why you filing complaints with FINRA. FINRA oversee broker-dealers and I do not believe any sponsor is a broker dealer. 

            If you want to go after the sponsor, you can file claims with the state banking finance and regulation or the SEC (Good luck). But FINRA would have no jurisdiction in a bad syndication unless you used a broker dealer who misled you and your claim is against the BD not the sponsor. 

            7e investments53 Reviews
          • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
            1y
            Quote from @John Bueling:

            I am discouraged to see one LP (Googled his name and keyword "lawsuit," see below) actively still advertising here.  I have communicated with other investors, providing evidence of wrongdoing to FINRA, as well as several lawyers.  I'd advise folks avoid them at all costs.  It would be a wonderful gift from the site moderators to have their advertising and "expert advice" content removed from here as well, but that's above my pay grade.

            https://trellis.law/case/36061/653431-2024/electra-capital-p...


             Not just that individual. There are many people like them being promoted here. 

          • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
            1y
            Quote from @Chris Seveney:
            Quote from @John Bueling:

            I am discouraged to see one LP (Googled his name and keyword "lawsuit," see below) actively still advertising here.  I have communicated with other investors, providing evidence of wrongdoing to FINRA, as well as several lawyers.  I'd advise folks avoid them at all costs.  It would be a wonderful gift from the site moderators to have their advertising and "expert advice" content removed from here as well, but that's above my pay grade.

            https://trellis.law/case/36061/653431-2024/electra-capital-p...


             John

            I will comment only on your actions- but why you filing complaints with FINRA. FINRA oversee broker-dealers and I do not believe any sponsor is a broker dealer. 

            If you want to go after the sponsor, you can file claims with the state banking finance and regulation or the SEC (Good luck). But FINRA would have no jurisdiction in a bad syndication unless you used a broker dealer who misled you and your claim is against the BD not the sponsor. 

            I back this up 100%. FINRA has as much to do with this as the Skipper and Gilligan. 
        • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
          1y

          @John Bueling

          If your goal is to make sure factual information is well circulated, another idea would be reaching out to the podcasters that are continuing to host people that you believe should be outted, comment on their youtube videos, etc.  But at the end of the day, it is likely to be a lost cause.

          But I will note, that whenever a deal turns bad, lawsuits always happen. While I am not a scholar on this subject, I have been around enough that often times they filed to secure a spot in any foreclosure, and not always because someone did something explicitly unethical or illegal.  

          And as Chris noted, FINRA oversees brokers and broker dealers.  Very, very few syndicators in the same general sphere of those listed on this lawsuit fall under FINRA regulations.  And, given current federal sentiment to any oversight, I would say you really have no real reporting agency that will care.  Maybe some personal lawsuits, but that will cost you money too.

          • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
            Moderator
            Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
            1y
            Quote from @Evan Polaski:

            @John Bueling

            If your goal is to make sure factual information is well circulated, another idea would be reaching out to the podcasters that are continuing to host people that you believe should be outted, comment on their youtube videos, etc.  But at the end of the day, it is likely to be a lost cause.

            But I will note, that whenever a deal turns bad, lawsuits always happen. While I am not a scholar on this subject, I have been around enough that often times they filed to secure a spot in any foreclosure, and not always because someone did something explicitly unethical or illegal.  

            And as Chris noted, FINRA oversees brokers and broker dealers.  Very, very few syndicators in the same general sphere of those listed on this lawsuit fall under FINRA regulations.  And, given current federal sentiment to any oversight, I would say you really have no real reporting agency that will care.  Maybe some personal lawsuits, but that will cost you money too.


             I had somoeone I know recently have a podcast guest of someone who I would consider infamous because of the amount of deals they lost and continue to lose but still raise money.

            I also saw one of the top posters here on BP (does not really post anymore) recommending an event hosted by two people whose syndications are also in the tank,

            What is very unfortunate today is it is not how well you run real estate but how well you run your facebook and instagram page. You can be awful at real estate but considered an influencer and you will get people to invest. Very sad.

            7e investments53 Reviews
        • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
          1y

          @Chris Seveney, I am always conflicted on multiple facets around this conversation:

          First is the syndicator side. Some great operators will have deals go bad. It happens. But others seem to have only gotten into the industry to benefit themselves, and investors were a biproduct. To me, this is often seen when you see a career real estate person versus say, an engineer who had some luck with some SFR and started raising capital to make themselves more money.

          Second is on the investor side.  This is where I think it is important for people to share stories (more public the better).  But if an investor making $250k/yr is willing to part with $100k into a single deal with a group that they didn't even perform a google search on, well I can only feel so sorry.  If they sign a document without reading it first and understanding what the sponsor can do under the terms of the docs, again, only so much sympathy.  And, I know there is a lot of grey area in here.  But, there does have to be some personal accountability.  

          • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
            Moderator
            Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
            1y
            Quote from @Evan Polaski:

            @Chris Seveney, I am always conflicted on multiple facets around this conversation:

            First is the syndicator side. Some great operators will have deals go bad. It happens. But others seem to have only gotten into the industry to benefit themselves, and investors were a biproduct. To me, this is often seen when you see a career real estate person versus say, an engineer who had some luck with some SFR and started raising capital to make themselves more money.

            Second is on the investor side.  This is where I think it is important for people to share stories (more public the better).  But if an investor making $250k/yr is willing to part with $100k into a single deal with a group that they didn't even perform a google search on, well I can only feel so sorry.  If they sign a document without reading it first and understanding what the sponsor can do under the terms of the docs, again, only so much sympathy.  And, I know there is a lot of grey area in here.  But, there does have to be some personal accountability.  


             I agree 100% that good operators have bad deals, that is going to happen - where things for me get my blood pressure pumping is one of them continues to raise money, changes the name of his company and is completely ignoring his investors. The other is out there with some "new" gimmick marketing mastermind while his deals continue to go bad but hey you can pay them $10k a year to learn a specific "lifestyle".

            To me these people ARE NOT real estate investors they are peddling influencers who attempt to do real estate on the side.

            7e investments53 Reviews
        Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.