Best cities for real estate investment

Best cities for real estate investment

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 10 votes

Hi,

Looking for guidance on what cities are best for real estate investment. Our current investments have been in San Diego and got lucky with appreciation and rental rates, but we realize that we need to explore out of California for an investment to make sense.  thank you for your time. 

5Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

V.G JasonPro Member
Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y

This is my favorite type of threads.

Let all the agents pimp out where their business is. The best places to invest go off of your intentions, price point, and then the one's likely not discussed publicly. So think about that, and do your own diligence. 

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I'm here in jacksonville, and the market's been really good and steady. Might be something to think about. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Modesto, CA · Member since 2023 · 192 posts · 77 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kinnari Pandya:

    Hi,

    Looking for guidance on what cities are best for real estate investment. Our current investments have been in San Diego and got lucky with appreciation and rental rates, but we realize that we need to explore out of California for an investment to make sense.  thank you for your time. 


    Modesto, Turlock, Lodi, Ceres, Riverbank, Oakdale 

  • Bradley BuxtonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NV · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    2y

    @Kinnari Pandya

    There are no best cities there are better ones and cities that will work better for you your lifestyle, time, and energy. You'll likely get a lot of people in the forums promoting mid-west, OH, and the south. As a former CA resident I left because it was too expensive to invest. There are good opportunities in CA the strategy and capital will be different and it will be more work. I'm now in the Reno, NV area and there are some great advantages to this area like low property taxes, limited new construction, tech and manufacturing job growth, and lots of recreation activities.  A bonus for me was is that Nevada is close to all my family still in CA.  What ever market you choose do your homework on areas and talk with agents, PMs, and other investors to get the anecdotal info as well.  Keep your overall goals in mind and network. 

  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Exploring cities outside of California for real estate investment can be a smart move, especially if you're looking for markets with strong growth potential, reasonable property prices, and good rental yields. You may want to visit a few cities to get a feel for the different markets and meet local real estate professionals. Connect with local real estate agents, property managers, and other investors to get insider knowledge and help identify potential properties.

    Good luck!

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Realtor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2023 · 245 posts · 231 votes
    2y

    Most of our investor clients are from CA. I'm in the Charlotte NC market. I think it depends on what you're looking for. LTR is difficult to cash flow anywhere but I can get pretty close here with the right circumstances. MTR cash flows just fine. STR can perform fine as well.

    If you’re looking for multifamily, I’d suggest you look at OH. Dayton, Cincinnati and Cleveland are some areas I’d been referring clients to look into if they want multifamily options!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 630 posts · 303 votes
    2y

    I've had a couple of clients really love investing in Florida.  I am in the Tampa, Saint Petersburg, Clearwater areas.  Just someplace to think about as well.  

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    2y

    Hi Kinnari,

    For out-of-state real estate investment, I highly recommend Tampa, Florida. With over 20 years of investing experience in the area, I've seen firsthand how Tampa's strong job market, affordable housing, high rental demand, and consistent property appreciation make it an excellent choice. The city's diverse economy, favorable tax environment, and high quality of life attract a steady stream of new residents, ensuring robust rental income and long-term growth potential. Tampa's vibrant cultural scene and proximity to beautiful beaches also add to its appeal, making it a fantastic place to invest.

    Graystone Investment Group4.6271 Reviews
  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kinnari Pandya:

    Hi,

    Looking for guidance on what cities are best for real estate investment. Our current investments have been in San Diego and got lucky with appreciation and rental rates, but we realize that we need to explore out of California for an investment to make sense.  thank you for your time. 


     Hey Kinnari, can't recommend enough the Greater Cincinnati market. Of course it depends on your goals, but I think no matter your goal, this area will satisfy and check all those boxes  for either. If you would like, we can talk about it more over the phone, shoot me a message if you are interested!

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 144 votes
    2y

    Cities in Ohio like Columbus, Akron and Cincinnati have been good to many at the moment. 

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    2y

    Depends on what you're aiming for. Ohio offers great markets depending on your goals. If you're seeking a reliable income stream, checkout Cleveland. It has a strong potential for cash flow. On the other hand, if your focus is on appreciation, Columbus is the place to be. The appealing aspect here is the ongoing population growth and other economic factors.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Hi Simon, any recommendations on which specific zip codes in Cleveland versus Columbus? Is the state considered as a landlord friendly state? 

  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2023 · 362 posts · 237 votes
    2y

    I’m a believer in Midwest markets because of their cash flow and appreciation potential in certain markets. I’ve scaled my portfolio to 9 doors across Memphis and Detroit. They all were cash flow positive immediately and, based on the last 5 years, have appreciated better than typical “high appreciation” markets. Happy to connect and knowledge share if you are interested. 

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    2y

    Yes, Ohio is a landlord friendly state. In Cleveland, places like Lakewood, Old Brooklyn, Brooklyn Centre, Edgewater, Jefferson and West Boulevard are some places that are good to explore. 

    As for Columbus, the city has really been brought up. That being said we have A,B, and C areas. So there really isn't anywhere that I would say to stay away from. You could practically throw a dart at a Columbus map and it would hit somewhere that'll make a good investment. I can share you my neighborhood grade map though to help identify different areas if that helps.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    This is my favorite type of threads.

    Let all the agents pimp out where their business is. The best places to invest go off of your intentions, price point, and then the one's likely not discussed publicly. So think about that, and do your own diligence. 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kinnari Pandya:

    Hi,

    Looking for guidance on what cities are best for real estate investment. Our current investments have been in San Diego and got lucky with appreciation and rental rates, but we realize that we need to explore out of California for an investment to make sense.  thank you for your time. 


     I moved from CT to Ohio and have enjoyed real estate investing in this market

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Thank you all for taking time to share your perspective and experience 

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kinnari Pandya:

    Hi Simon, any recommendations on which specific zip codes in Cleveland versus Columbus? Is the state considered as a landlord friendly state? 


     I'd focus in downtown adjacent neighborhoods and look at land and new construction too. 43207, 43206, 43205, 43203, 43223, 43222 for Columbus Ohio 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    2y

    @Kinnari Pandya depends on what types of properties and corresponding tenants you want to deal with.

    The Midwest offers lots of affordable opportunities that can cashflow well. Just make sure you undertand the challenges of the different Classes of properties/tenants.

    We operate in Detroit, which has been coming back strong for the last 5-6 years.

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    Make sure to do Boots on Ground before investing:)

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Hi John, please clarify what do you mean by Boots on Ground before investing, do you mean visit the place? 

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    Yes you need to visit the place..virtual stuff is good once you have the network in place :)

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    With the Boots on the Ground team (agent, contractor, property manager), I would add experienced local investors to this. I've gotten feedback from them before making offers. I also would have paid an investor (someone who is unbiased, not on your agent's team) to walk a property and do a detailed video tour, before making an offer. It's much if you can see the property in person. 

    I think the property management team is one of the most important team members and wish I had talked to them before making offers on my Indianapolis properties in 2023. I received very honest feedback from knowledgable PMs on my properties and I would have made very different decisions. They know what the rental rates are, tenant base, etc. 

    Know your Class A, B, C and D areas are. I wouldn't have bought in Class C (the cash flow on paper is actually negative) and gone for Class A for appreciation. 

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Kinnari Pandya  I look to invest in the fastest growing areas, wher epeople are moving TO, where construction is booming, rising tide raises all ships, etc.  I've invested in the fastets growing counties in the states that I am in.  I like Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, etc .  when I was in Nashville recently saw 16 consruction cranes in downtown.  When I was in Charlotte in April, saw many cranes there as well. You can made money anywhere even counties with no growth even negative growth, but its easier where there is growth.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 664 votes
    2y

    My first investment was in California in 2015. After coming back from the service I've been investing in Columbus Oh since 2019. 

    I'm happy that I'm in Ohio now, it's a great state to invest in. 

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 340 posts · 215 votes
    2y

    Hi, yes the Ohio market is doing well check it out!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.