Investing in a property without an inspection

Investing in a property without an inspection

Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes

Not sure where to start so here's a brief summary of where I am and what I'm doing. 

After realizing my local market was too expensive for me, I switched to a long distance strategy. Found an agent in a market I was interested in (Rochester, NY), got pre-approved and started looking a houses.

Recently, I put in my first ever offer on a home! Got a call the next day informing me I was outbid but it was still exciting and informative as much as it was nerve racking. Many things were learned from the experience. I got to review the offer documents as I signed them off.  Got to see additional information like how old the water tanks and roofing were. My agent was able to educate me on the underwriting in the documents and of current laws that protect me if I was still unsure about the house for any reason and wanted to back out. 

There are many things I can touch on of the experience but the thing that's been on my mind the most was about inspection. Specifically, that in some markets wanting to do an inspection on a potential property will make your offer less of a priority on a sellers list. From what I understood from my agent, if I did want an inspection for a house it would lessen our odds in getting a property (at least in Rochester's market and the type of homes welcoming for first time buyers: turn-key; cosmetic rehabs).

Everything piece of media I've consume tell me to know what kind of condition the property is in. My agent is also showing me homes they believe are a good fit after visiting them. I am putting belief in my agents ability that they can spot issues with a property and not lead me astray but I would also like to assure myself that the property is worth the risk in another way. 

What do investors do in instances were an inspection of a home isn't favorable but also want to lessen their level of risk?  People do buy without inspections but as a new investor and as someone who doesn't live in that market, I would like to hear what the BP community has to say.

8Reply
158 views

Most Popular Reply

Jaron WallingPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
1y

@Francis Bernadel It comes down to experience in the market, walking properties, watching YT videos, and learning to AVOID PITFALLS. Relying on an agent when starting out is great like you mentioned (I did the same), but once you buy and sell a few properties (in various condition) YOU have to learn what to look for. YOU have to get good pictures and video, and determine if an offer makes sense. This is the biggest challenge with OOS or long distance investing. You're gambling on someone else's knowledge if they have it or not. I'd rather have knowledge myself, work with professionals (contractors, agent, lenders, etc.), and then check my numbers.

Like @Caleb Brown said an agent is not an inspector. They will spot bigger issues, but you need finer detail to make offers without an inspection. 

From our experience buying distressed SFH I took the self-educated/sweat equity path to learn what it costs to remodel XYZ. This is not for everyone because it takes time. I had plenty of time when starting out (less now days). I know what termite damage looks like, knob & tube wiring, and I've seen bad remodel jobs. I know what outdated fuse panels look like. Doesn't mean I'm an expert on those things, but I'm growing a knowledge base of COSTS and LABOR to repair it. I keep track in spread sheets and in my head. An agent doesn't have the time to teach you those things. Every deal teaches you a little more. If you want to scale in Rochester you need to get into this position. Ever taking time off work, DIY hustling projects, or walking more properties in person. The more you "remote" invest the harder it it unless you have 10+ deals under your belt, established team, contractor support etc. You're competing with locals who have some of those players. Flip the script and get as local as you can. 

We buy mostly "as-is" listings. You want to solve problems and add value. That's where money is made with REI. Single family to multi-family, doesn't matter. Cheers.

See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I would always do an inspection. Yes waiving inspections will give your offer leverage but that's because it benefits the seller. If you were local or had a ton of experience then you can waive and go on what you know. An agent can spot things but they are not an inspector. They don't test every system or spend a couple hours looking at every detail. If it's a total rehab then you can assume the worst for numbers sake. 

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @Caleb Brown Thank you for the feedback! Agents are not inspectors, hence my anxiety. I plan on visiting Rochester myself to get see with my eyes what's going on. Even though I have a little knowledge in the trades myself, I know I'm not an inspector either so I wonder if I should just accept the smaller pool of properties to pick for safety. 

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    @Francis Bernadel It comes down to experience in the market, walking properties, watching YT videos, and learning to AVOID PITFALLS. Relying on an agent when starting out is great like you mentioned (I did the same), but once you buy and sell a few properties (in various condition) YOU have to learn what to look for. YOU have to get good pictures and video, and determine if an offer makes sense. This is the biggest challenge with OOS or long distance investing. You're gambling on someone else's knowledge if they have it or not. I'd rather have knowledge myself, work with professionals (contractors, agent, lenders, etc.), and then check my numbers.

    Like @Caleb Brown said an agent is not an inspector. They will spot bigger issues, but you need finer detail to make offers without an inspection. 

    From our experience buying distressed SFH I took the self-educated/sweat equity path to learn what it costs to remodel XYZ. This is not for everyone because it takes time. I had plenty of time when starting out (less now days). I know what termite damage looks like, knob & tube wiring, and I've seen bad remodel jobs. I know what outdated fuse panels look like. Doesn't mean I'm an expert on those things, but I'm growing a knowledge base of COSTS and LABOR to repair it. I keep track in spread sheets and in my head. An agent doesn't have the time to teach you those things. Every deal teaches you a little more. If you want to scale in Rochester you need to get into this position. Ever taking time off work, DIY hustling projects, or walking more properties in person. The more you "remote" invest the harder it it unless you have 10+ deals under your belt, established team, contractor support etc. You're competing with locals who have some of those players. Flip the script and get as local as you can. 

    We buy mostly "as-is" listings. You want to solve problems and add value. That's where money is made with REI. Single family to multi-family, doesn't matter. Cheers.

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @Jaron Walling Appreciate the honest feedback! Not sure how achievable sweat equity is for me when I live +5 hours away from the market. Still, I realized lately I need to be more hands on with this type of investing (before I posted this post). Will have to set aside some personal time if I want to achieve what I'm looking for.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bloomfield CT · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 408 votes
    1y

    If you don't live in the area you should hire a flipper that does to inspect the opportunity on your behalf. Out of state investors in the past have offered me $1000 for houses in Connecticut 

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @James McGovern Thank you for your input! I never thought about contacting a flipper to do that. Wouldn't it still take a long time for them to get back to me since sellers will have them low on their priority list?

    • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 43 votes
      1y

      @James McGovern that sounds like more than the cost of a professional inspection. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Rochester, NY · Member since 2020 · 148 posts · 28 votes
    1y

    If you plan on having a contractor or property manager, you can have them walkthrough the property and get their insight. They might charge, but it would be a way around an inspection. Obviously it won't be super detailed as one, but as close as it can get.

  • Dr · VA · Member since 2025 · 154 posts · 34 votes
    1y

    this was a nightmare that I gone through. Bought a property next door, would be the same, without inspection, that cost me lots money to repair.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Francis Bernadel:

    Not sure where to start so here's a brief summary of where I am and what I'm doing. 

    After realizing my local market was too expensive for me, I switched to a long distance strategy. Found an agent in a market I was interested in (Rochester, NY), got pre-approved and started looking a houses.

    Recently, I put in my first ever offer on a home! Got a call the next day informing me I was outbid but it was still exciting and informative as much as it was nerve racking. Many things were learned from the experience. I got to review the offer documents as I signed them off.  Got to see additional information like how old the water tanks and roofing were. My agent was able to educate me on the underwriting in the documents and of current laws that protect me if I was still unsure about the house for any reason and wanted to back out. 

    There are many things I can touch on of the experience but the thing that's been on my mind the most was about inspection. Specifically, that in some markets wanting to do an inspection on a potential property will make your offer less of a priority on a sellers list. From what I understood from my agent, if I did want an inspection for a house it would lessen our odds in getting a property (at least in Rochester's market and the type of homes welcoming for first time buyers: turn-key; cosmetic rehabs).

    Everything piece of media I've consume tell me to know what kind of condition the property is in. My agent is also showing me homes they believe are a good fit after visiting them. I am putting belief in my agents ability that they can spot issues with a property and not lead me astray but I would also like to assure myself that the property is worth the risk in another way. 

    What do investors do in instances were an inspection of a home isn't favorable but also want to lessen their level of risk?  People do buy without inspections but as a new investor and as someone who doesn't live in that market, I would like to hear what the BP community has to say.

    Welcome to BP, Francis and congrats on submitting your first offer—that’s a huge milestone and it’s awesome that you’re reflecting on everything you learned from it. You’re absolutely right to be cautious about skipping inspections, especially as a long-distance investor and even more so when you’re new. While it’s true that in competitive markets waiving inspections can strengthen your offer, there are still ways to protect yourself without giving up all due diligence. One common strategy investors use is writing in an “informational inspection” contingency, where you still do the inspection but let the seller know you won’t nickel and dime them on small repairs—you’re just making sure there are no major structural, mechanical, or safety issues. It keeps your offer strong but still gives you peace of mind. Some investors also do a pre-inspection before submitting an offer if the seller allows it. Long-term, building a strong local team helps—like a trusted contractor or inspector who can walk properties quickly even if you can’t be there in person. I ran into the same kind of thing when I started investing in Columbus, Ohio (I moved here from Portland in 2020 and now own 10+ rentals) and inspections were something I didn’t want to skip, especially early on. That market’s been great for cash flow and appreciation, with affordable price points and solid local teams that make out-of-state investing possible. At the end of the day, your instincts are right—you want to trust your agent, but also do what you can to limit risk. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @Jimmy Lieu Appreciate your response! Never heard of an "informational inspection" contingency until now. Will have to talk with the agent about that. It would really ground me to know I'm not skipping critical steps and leaving myself open to expensive mistakes. Not to say I wouldn't have to do a rehab a year from now but knowingly stepping into a property that has a few issues and unknowingly doing so is a big difference.

    • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Francis Bernadel:

      @Jimmy Lieu Appreciate your response! Never heard of an "informational inspection" contingency until now. Will have to talk with the agent about that. It would really ground me to know I'm not skipping critical steps and leaving myself open to expensive mistakes. Not to say I wouldn't have to do a rehab a year from now but knowingly stepping into a property that has a few issues and unknowingly doing so is a big difference.


      Because an informal inspection is BS. From the seller's perspective, it is still an inspection, which makes your offer less attractive. And from a buyer's perspective, it offers no protection. 

      If you have multiple offers and some of them waive inspections, it is likley the seller will chose among those without. But if you are the only offer, you can typically keep the inspection.

      My personal offers are typically without an inspection contingency or any other contingency, so I can make price the only item to negotiate. But that does not mean there is no inspection: I have rehabbed enough houses that I know what to look for. And we always buy the same type of 60s home in the Milwaukee suburbs, so I know what to look for.

      From a residential buyer's point of view, some house are obviously so well taken care of that they feel comfortable waiving inspection, but investment properties are typically on the rougher side, so you need someone to look over it and find the b ig ticket issues in the long list of cosmetic stuff.

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 77 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Francis Bernadel:

    Not sure where to start so here's a brief summary of where I am and what I'm doing. 

    After realizing my local market was too expensive for me, I switched to a long distance strategy. Found an agent in a market I was interested in (Rochester, NY), got pre-approved and started looking a houses.

    Recently, I put in my first ever offer on a home! Got a call the next day informing me I was outbid but it was still exciting and informative as much as it was nerve racking. Many things were learned from the experience. I got to review the offer documents as I signed them off.  Got to see additional information like how old the water tanks and roofing were. My agent was able to educate me on the underwriting in the documents and of current laws that protect me if I was still unsure about the house for any reason and wanted to back out. 

    There are many things I can touch on of the experience but the thing that's been on my mind the most was about inspection. Specifically, that in some markets wanting to do an inspection on a potential property will make your offer less of a priority on a sellers list. From what I understood from my agent, if I did want an inspection for a house it would lessen our odds in getting a property (at least in Rochester's market and the type of homes welcoming for first time buyers: turn-key; cosmetic rehabs).

    Everything piece of media I've consume tell me to know what kind of condition the property is in. My agent is also showing me homes they believe are a good fit after visiting them. I am putting belief in my agents ability that they can spot issues with a property and not lead me astray but I would also like to assure myself that the property is worth the risk in another way. 

    What do investors do in instances were an inspection of a home isn't favorable but also want to lessen their level of risk?  People do buy without inspections but as a new investor and as someone who doesn't live in that market, I would like to hear what the BP community has to say.


    Inspection contingencies can weaken your offer if it's a competitive market.  If it's a slow or normal market and the house has been sitting then throw in an inspection contingency. Now if the house is a total gut job, then don't waste your time and money just assume everything needs to be fixed and hope for the best.  

  • Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 875 posts · 394 votes
    1y

    I personally would not buy a home without an inspection. No matter what people say. Especially from a distance. Spend the $600 and get one done.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I always get an inspection and inspect myself

  • Lakewood NJ · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    @Jaron Walling do you buy Rochester NY? I have propertys coming up good deals

  • Lakewood NJ · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    @Francis Bernadeli have a deal coming up in Rochester

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2021 · 19 posts · 21 votes
    1y

    Hi Francis,

    Congrats on putting in your first offer—that’s awesome! I also worked a full-time W-2 job and invested long distance, so I completely understand the challenges. That said, if you're planning to waive the inspection contingency, I personally think it's worth taking a couple of days off and spending the money on a flight to visit the property in person. Sometimes listing agents are hesitant when a long-distance buyer wants to purchase sight unseen, especially without an inspection.

    That being said, I have waived the inspection contingency before. In one case, I bought a property sight unseen with only a virtual tour because it was fully occupied and hard to show. My local contractor—someone I had worked with and trusted—joined my realtor during the virtual showing. That contractor had also completed a rehab for another similar unit I owned just down the street, so I felt confident.

    I will also recommend asking about the big-ticket items: the age of the roof, HVAC, electric panels, plumbing, furnaces, etc., so you understand the repair or rehab cost. You could also have a home inspector join your realtor and contractor during the walkthrough if it is allowed in that city. You’ll have to pay for the house inspection, but you’ll get a full report in case the house inspector catches something your realtor & contractor might have missed. That way, you can still waive the inspection and negotiate from there. Hope this helps.

    Best of luck—excited for you!

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @Candyce Chen Appreciate your feedback and the advice! I'm actually going to drive to the city today. Will keep these in my before seeing a property.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Francis Bernadel many thoughts:

    1) NEVER buy a property you can't inspect somehow!
    - You're a newbie, you have no idea what to look for or understand what can go wrong. 
    - I've been doing this for 25+ years and still get inspections - unless buying a trainwreck super cheap.
    - If house 25+ years old AWAYS get the sewer line scoped! Can be VERY expensive to repair.

    2) Going to guess you're using the wrong type of agent.
    - 95%+ agents only know how to do owner-occupied transactions. These are EMOTIONALLY-BASED transactions and agents learn how to read and even manipulate emotions to make sales happen and earn commission.
    - Don't fall for all the agents claiming to be "investor-friendly" as most only really mean they are "commission-friendly" and are part of the 95%+ mentioned above.
    - You want a true INVESTOR-EXPERIENCED agent that can prove they either own rentals or have helped several investors in the past. They should be able to discuss ROI, cash-on-cash, etc. metrics with you!

    3) Evictions - how long do you think it takes, on average, to evict a tenant in the State of NY? You may want to chat with @Matthew Irish-Jones

    4) Property Classes - so important to understand these!
    - Up until around 2018 you could buy a Class A property and cashflow immediately.
    - Could do the same with Class B up until around 2022.
    - Now you have to buy Class C to cashflow immediately - but no one is telling newbie investors this! Newbies are buying Class C rentals expecting Class A results:(

    Recommend you first figure out the property Class you want to invest in, THEN figure out the corresponding location/neighborhoods to invest in.

    Why is Property Class so important for investors to understand and apply in their investing strategies?

    Because the Property Class dictates the Class of the tenant pool that the property will attract.

    The Tenant Class greatly impacts rental income stability and property maintenance/damage by tenants.

    Both Property Class and Tenant Class affect what type of contractors, handymen and property management companies will work on a property.

    If you buy & renovate a property in Class D area to Class A standards, what Tenant Class will rent it?

    Or, if you put several Class D tenants in a Class A four-plex, what do you think will happen to the property?

    So, if you fail to apply the correct assumptions to a property, your expectations won’t be met and it may even be a financial disaster.

    We use the following to rank Property Classes, in order of importance:

    • Property Tenant Pool: closely linked to location, but not always.
    • Property Location: closely linked to tenant pool, but not always.
    • Property Condition & Amenities: it’s important to, “Maintain to the Neighborhood.”

    Key metrics for each Property Class:

    Class A Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 680+, no convictions/evictions in last 7 years.
    Tenant Default: 0-5% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Section 8: Class A rents are too high and won’t be approved.
    Vacancies: 5-10%, depending on market conditions.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 3-5 years for positive cashflow, but you get highest relative rent & value appreciation.

    Class B Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 620-680, some blemishes, no convictions/evictions in last 5 years.
    Tenant Default
    : 5-10% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Vacancies
    : 10-15%, depending on market conditions.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 1-3 years for positive cashflow, balanced amounts of relative rent & value appreciation.
    Section 8: Class B rents are usually too high for the Section 8 program.

    Class C Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 560-620, many blemishes, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 3 years. Verifying recent 2-years of rental history very important! Same for 2-years of job/income stability.
    Tenant Default: 10-20% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Section 8: Class C rents usually meet program requirements, proper screening still recommended.
    Vacancies: 10-20%, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Should cashflow immediately, at the lower end of relative rent & value appreciation.

    Class D Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores under 560, little to no good tradelines, lots of collections & chargeoffs, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 12 months. Verifying last 2-years of rental history and income/employment extremely important to find the “best of the worst”.
    Tenant Default: 20-30% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Section 8: Class D rents meet program requirements, often challenges to pass Section 8 inspection.
    Vacancies: 20%+, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, all cashflow with little, maybe even negative, relative rent & value appreciation.

    Where did we get our FICO credit score information from?

    Check out this chart:

    FICO Score

    Pct of Population

    Default Probability

    800 or more

    13.00%

    1.00%

    750-799

    27.00%

    1.00%

    700-749

    18.00%

    4.40%

    650-699

    15.00%

    8.90%

    600-649

    12.00%

    15.80%

    550-599

    8.00%

    22.50%

    500-549

    5.00%

    28.40%

    Less than 499

    2.00%

    41.00%

    Source: Fair Isaac Company

    Make sure you understand the Class of properties you are looking at and the corresponding results to expect.

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @Drew Sygit Thank you for being honest! Definitely don't want to make a decision I'll come to regret. Being taken advantage of isn't on my to-do list either. A couple of community members have informed me I need to revalue my choice of Property Class for the same reasons you've given.  

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    I would never buy a house without having it inspected.  The risk is too big.  What you can do it work with an inspector to do the inspection before you put in your offer.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Francis Bernadel

    why not pick a market closer to you where you can go to lots of showings in person?

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @Nicholas L. At the time, it seemed close because it was within the same state. Can't honestly say I tried looking at towns/cities closer either. If all else fails, I'll think about doing just that.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Francis Bernadel:

    Not sure where to start so here's a brief summary of where I am and what I'm doing. 

    After realizing my local market was too expensive for me, I switched to a long distance strategy. Found an agent in a market I was interested in (Rochester, NY), got pre-approved and started looking a houses.

    Recently, I put in my first ever offer on a home! Got a call the next day informing me I was outbid but it was still exciting and informative as much as it was nerve racking. Many things were learned from the experience. I got to review the offer documents as I signed them off.  Got to see additional information like how old the water tanks and roofing were. My agent was able to educate me on the underwriting in the documents and of current laws that protect me if I was still unsure about the house for any reason and wanted to back out. 

    There are many things I can touch on of the experience but the thing that's been on my mind the most was about inspection. Specifically, that in some markets wanting to do an inspection on a potential property will make your offer less of a priority on a sellers list. From what I understood from my agent, if I did want an inspection for a house it would lessen our odds in getting a property (at least in Rochester's market and the type of homes welcoming for first time buyers: turn-key; cosmetic rehabs).

    Everything piece of media I've consume tell me to know what kind of condition the property is in. My agent is also showing me homes they believe are a good fit after visiting them. I am putting belief in my agents ability that they can spot issues with a property and not lead me astray but I would also like to assure myself that the property is worth the risk in another way. 

    What do investors do in instances were an inspection of a home isn't favorable but also want to lessen their level of risk?  People do buy without inspections but as a new investor and as someone who doesn't live in that market, I would like to hear what the BP community has to say.


    You're smart to be thinking about this. In competitive markets, skipping inspections can help your offer, but it definitely adds risk, especially from out of state. Some investors use short inspection windows, informational-only clauses, or just assume a repair buffer. Trusting your agent helps, but it's worth doing whatever you can to reduce unknowns.
  • Real Estate Agent · Rochester, NY · Member since 2020 · 148 posts · 28 votes
    1y
  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I realize there are several here who are proponents of purchasing assets they have never seen, but I'm not one. If you are experienced and put eyes on it, it's still dozens of ways for it to go sideways. Getting something never seen before probably triples the odds of something going sideways. Trusting some agent you don't know can put you in a mass failing asset that is a loser from every angle (ie un-rentable, underwater, sht community). What happens if you get it for 150k, but it costs over a 100k to get it to code?  I acquired one from an auction, but it was local to me. I never saw the inside, but I was able to find out all sorts of things by observing the outside for several days. It was a winner, but still, it could have lost. 

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @Mark Cruse Honest observation! That is a reality. Could even be mine if I'm not careful. Thank you for the response!

    • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Francis Bernadel:

      @Mark Cruse Honest observation! That is a reality. Could even be mine if I'm not careful. Thank you for the response!


      Yes, put eyes on it, and I suggest bringing a trusted and capable GC with you. Even if picking up something you plan to do a full gut on, with seeing it yourself, you can uncover make or break situations. Even with that gut, what happens if you didn't know there was a cracked septic tank that must be replaced or sewage lines you are responsible for footing out 50k for? What happens if its painted over black mold all over the place and its condemned right after you own it? You can have serious structural or foundation issues which can easily put you upside down. In Baltimore, it's easy to get a home for 75k but put 200k to be rent ready. If the ARV is 100k that emphatically sucks. You can't even sell it without a loss. Being that deep in, your rent won't cover the note. If it's a bottom feeding neighborhood, it's even closer to game over.

      Go see it. 

      I want you to win! 

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @Mark Cruse Appreciate your support! 

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2024 · 22 posts · 14 votes
    1y

    I agree with what many have said here that if it's a full gut job, simply assume the worse.  With a caveat: there are multiple levels of worse! I personally bought two properties from wholesalers from out of state. One was a great experience, easy flip. the second instead was more of a money pit.

    The second home is a duplex from 1904. There are different types of issues you'll encounter the older the house gets. For instance, in my case, I had assumed a roof replacement but I hadn't assumed that the underoof boards also needed to be replaced. That was $20k extra!
    I luckily didn't experienced this, but I also heard of other horror stories in the city ( in my case, Indy) with sewage pipes that needed to be replaced; that would be another multiple tens of thousands $ ticket. So if it's very old, a sewage inspection might also be recommended. Another issue you might get is foundation issues. 
    In short, yes assume the worst, but without inspections you might still get surprised. So it's up to your risk tolerance level. 

    what I am pivoting towards is to go onsite for 1-2 days and visit a bunch of homes to get a feeling on where to bid. Then I send my contractor to get his take. If the numbers work, I make an offer with inspection (if MLS). With wholesalers, you hardly can do the inspection though.

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @Filippo Seracini Solid advice! Will definitely take this to heart as I travel to the town later today. Seeing the state of homes/neighborhoods will have an impact on my decision making going forward. Thank you for the feedback!

  • Rental Property Investor · Perry Hall, MD · Member since 2016 · 586 posts · 598 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Francis Bernadel:

    Not sure where to start so here's a brief summary of where I am and what I'm doing. 

    After realizing my local market was too expensive for me, I switched to a long distance strategy. Found an agent in a market I was interested in (Rochester, NY), got pre-approved and started looking a houses.

    Recently, I put in my first ever offer on a home! Got a call the next day informing me I was outbid but it was still exciting and informative as much as it was nerve racking. Many things were learned from the experience. I got to review the offer documents as I signed them off.  Got to see additional information like how old the water tanks and roofing were. My agent was able to educate me on the underwriting in the documents and of current laws that protect me if I was still unsure about the house for any reason and wanted to back out. 

    There are many things I can touch on of the experience but the thing that's been on my mind the most was about inspection. Specifically, that in some markets wanting to do an inspection on a potential property will make your offer less of a priority on a sellers list. From what I understood from my agent, if I did want an inspection for a house it would lessen our odds in getting a property (at least in Rochester's market and the type of homes welcoming for first time buyers: turn-key; cosmetic rehabs).

    Everything piece of media I've consume tell me to know what kind of condition the property is in. My agent is also showing me homes they believe are a good fit after visiting them. I am putting belief in my agents ability that they can spot issues with a property and not lead me astray but I would also like to assure myself that the property is worth the risk in another way. 

    What do investors do in instances were an inspection of a home isn't favorable but also want to lessen their level of risk?  People do buy without inspections but as a new investor and as someone who doesn't live in that market, I would like to hear what the BP community has to say.


    The point is to make money, not own doors. It's called investing, not gambling. Even when I buy off market properties without an inspection contingency, I still inspect them with a trusted GC before signing a purchase agreement or make the assumption that I'd be replacing every system and doing the cosmetics from top to bottom and built that into my offer price.

    Especially as a newer investor and especially being an out of state investor, get an inspection. Your agent has a financial incentive for you to buy a property. For every post like this, I've seen a post about the nightmare that followed when someone trusted a new (to them) agent and had to spend tens of thousands in capex after the fact that they hadn't counted on.

    There is NO SUCH THING as a can't miss deal. There will always be another opportunity. It's better to pass on a good deal than buy a bad one and if having an inspection contingency means your offer wasn't accepted, so be it.

    Always question the source of advice and what incentive they may have to give you that advice. This can be a very predatory business, especially when it comes to newcomers with big dreams and little experience.

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @Jon K. Appreciate the honest answer! Whatever the condition of the house, it'll be my problem once it's closed on. 

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    Having done many dozens of deals now, and with a background working in the trades prior to investing in real estate, I have only ever purchased one property without an inspection. We were planning to do a full gut rehab on it anyway and just budgeted for that. I would not recommend anyone just starting out to waive inspection really under normal circumstances. I’d go there personally and shadow the inspector so you can learn what to look for. You can make a contingent offer more competitive by making the inspection “for informational purposes only” i.e. the offer is as-is and the understanding is you will not come back and ask for more money off, but you do withhold the right to terminate if something unexpected pops up during inspection. In my market the mechanism for this would be waiving inspection objection but keeping inspection termination and setting expectations appropriately through your agent. Every market is different and I have done one deal in NY and their process was way different than my home market. I much prefer doing deals in my home market to investing remotely personally. 

    • Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 37 votes
      1y

      @Account Closed Thank you for taking the time to respond! Many in this thread have educated me how important and powerful the underwriting is. These contingent offers for making the inspection "informational purposes only" really excites me! I've heard it many times but the BP community really hit home how impactful the underwriting can be.  Now I have some talking points to speak with my agent about! Integrating this into a template for offers will be beneficial.

  • Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Don't skip the inspection 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bloomfield CT · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 408 votes
    1y

    Flippers who purchase foreclosures don't get inspections but rather shape their offer based on observable criteria 

  • Charles ClarkBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2020 · 306 posts · 209 votes
    1y

    @Francis Bernadel

    Congrats on making your first offer — that’s a huge step! You're asking all the right questions. In competitive markets, many investors do pre-inspections (if allowed), bring a contractor or inspector during showings, or build strong agent relationships to get honest feedback. Some also waive inspections but still include an "informational only" clause to walk if major issues come up. Trusting your agent is great, but pairing that with your own risk safeguards is smart — you’re definitely on the right track.

    Ask ChatGPT

    Raise the Standard RE LLC54 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor · Rochester Area, NY · Member since 2012 · 79 posts · 17 votes
    1y

    Living in the area around Rochester, I have seen homes go for $50k and over asking in 2023 -2024.  Was looking for my daughter.  All those offers accepted were with no contingencies.  Doesnt mean you cant do an inspection, you just cant use it to back off the deal.

    So you can have some one walk the house thats experienced during the walk through prior to offer.  Here they often give a few days to a week to accept all offers.  You may be able to get enough info during that brief time.  The other option is put as little as possible down to hold the offer, worst case scenario you lose your deposit.

    The market may be slower now, I havent been close to it this year.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.