Los angeles · Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
Hi! I'm looking for my first flip. I have a 200k line of credit. Should I purchase a property using my line of credit since its a significantly lower interest rate? It would essentially be a "cash offer" so maybe more negotiation room on purchase price? It's my first flip and it's not where I live. I'm super nervous.
Other than a LOC how much cash are you bringing to the deal? I would not over leverage yourself to get into a flip. It's a double edge sword. Most people use them for the rehab in combination with OPM, HM, or fix and flip loan product. Worst case you get stuck holding the LOC "bag". That's a costly situation that comes with a variable interest rate. Rates are up and likely creeping up more.
Pricing has a lot of downward pressure right now. Keep that in mind when running numbers.
You stated it's not where you live. Is that a short driving distance or OOS? Big difference between the two from a contractor support/boots on the ground prospective. Keeping eyes on the property, managing the rehab, and checking on progress takes time.
Consider other strategies like the commonly used BRRRR. It's a flip refinanced into a cash-flowing rental property. Pros and cons to every strategy. All else the same make sure you buy right. A cash offer should command a lower price or I'm walking away from the deal. Cheers.
If you pull a 200k line of credit your utilization will skyrocket and your credit score will tank until the LOC is paid off. This can be a major issue if you decide to keep the property as a rental OR if you run into issues and need to refinance. Using the line of credit for a down payment on a fix and flip loan would be a better move, in my opinion.
Other than a LOC how much cash are you bringing to the deal? I would not over leverage yourself to get into a flip. It's a double edge sword. Most people use them for the rehab in combination with OPM, HM, or fix and flip loan product. Worst case you get stuck holding the LOC "bag". That's a costly situation that comes with a variable interest rate. Rates are up and likely creeping up more.
Pricing has a lot of downward pressure right now. Keep that in mind when running numbers.
You stated it's not where you live. Is that a short driving distance or OOS? Big difference between the two from a contractor support/boots on the ground prospective. Keeping eyes on the property, managing the rehab, and checking on progress takes time.
Consider other strategies like the commonly used BRRRR. It's a flip refinanced into a cash-flowing rental property. Pros and cons to every strategy. All else the same make sure you buy right. A cash offer should command a lower price or I'm walking away from the deal. Cheers.
Lymor, I get the appeal of the cash offer, but I wouldn't fund the whole purchase on that line.
Two problems with going all-in on the LOC: first, maxing a $200k line spikes your utilization and can tank your credit right when you might need it most — if the flip runs long or you decide to keep it as a rental and refinance, that score hit follows you. Second, it's variable rate. If the project drags, you're holding the bag on a line that keeps getting more expensive.
The way I'd use it: keep the LOC as your down payment and rehab bridge money alongside a real fix-and-flip loan, not as the whole deal. That way the flip loan carries the purchase, your line covers the gap and the surprises, and you still have borrowing power left if something goes sideways.
Two other things since it's your first and it's out of state: a cash offer doesn't automatically buy you a discount — buying right matters more than how you pay. And the bigger risk on an out-of-state flip isn't the financing, it's having nobody reliable watching the contractor. Get your boots on the ground sorted before you close.
If you hold it instead of flipping, the exit is a DSCR refi — it qualifies on the property's rent, no personal-income paperwork. Line that takeout up before you buy, not after.
Happy to run your numbers if you want a second set of eyes — Dan
Lymor, for a first flip, I'd definitely compare the LOC option against traditional financing, but I wouldn't look at it only as "cash offer = lower purchase price."
The bigger question is whether the interest savings and negotiating power outweigh the cost of tying up your $200K line of credit and the risk of the project taking longer than expected.
From the tax side, since this is a flip, I’d also keep the entire project separately tracked from day one: acquisition, closing costs, rehab, holding costs, and selling costs. The tax treatment of a flip can be very different from a property you intend to hold as a rental.
And if you expect to do multiple flips, I'd evaluate the entity structure and whether an S-Corp makes sense based on the expected profit and volume.
I'd underwrite the deal based on net profit after financing costs and taxes, not just the spread between purchase price and expected resale price.
Feel free to DM me, I’d be happy to send over a few resources that might be helpful.
Good to slow down before using that line, Lymor. The tax and structure points above are worth a call with a CPA, so I'll add the operating side, since this flip is out of state. Make the interest part of your holding costs and stress-test it with a rehab that runs longer and a sale that takes longer than you hope. Price the deal off tight comps and a line-item scope, and only then decide how to fund it, because a cash-style offer helps most when the numbers already work at a conservative resale price. A first flip is also where a local contractor with verified references, paid on a draw schedule tied to finished work, protects you most. Happy to connect and compare notes.
Congrats on going for your first flip. Using a personal line of credit for the whole purchase works against you if the deal runs long, since the rate is usually variable and you'd be carrying the full balance with no draw structure. A lot of first-time flippers instead use a fix and flip loan that funds a big share of the purchase and the rehab in draws, which keeps more of your cash free for surprises. Since it's out of state, I'd also want a vetted contractor and a clear scope before you commit to anything. I'm a lender and do investor loans (fix and flip, bridge, DSCR), so I'm happy to walk through how the numbers would compare on a quick call, my direct line and email are on my profile.
@Lymor S A lower rate is worth considering, but I wouldn’t choose the financing on rate alone. Without knowing the credit line’s terms or the property’s numbers, I’d treat it as an option to evaluate—not an automatic yes. Check whether the rate can change, when repayment is due, what secures the loan and whether the lender allows this use.
You may be able to make an offer without a mortgage contingency, but it’s still borrowed money, and a “cash offer” doesn’t guarantee a discount. I wouldn’t give up inspection protection just to make the offer stronger.
For a first flip away from home, I’d be more focused on reliable local help and reserves than getting the cheapest financing. Get an independent inspection, written rehab bids and conservative resale comps. Make sure you can cover the purchase, renovation, carrying and selling costs—with room for delays—without exhausting the line or your personal savings.
Being nervous is understandable. Start with a manageable project, and only move forward if the numbers still work when repairs cost more or the sale takes longer. You don’t have to use the full credit line, and passing on a deal is better than forcing your first one.