Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2026 · 35 posts · 11 votes
When bringing private capital into a deal, operators seem split right down the middle.
Some strictly borrow on a promissory note at a flat interest rate (say 10% to 12% annualized). If the project sits on the market an extra two months or has minor hiccups, the interest meter keeps running, but if the deal knocks it out of the park, they keep every dollar of the upside.
Other operators prefer giving up a 50/50 or 60/40 profit split. You sacrifice a huge chunk of your margin on a home run, but the partner shares downside exposure, and you aren't sweating fixed monthly debt service if trade delays drag out the timeline.
If you’re raising private money or lending it out on deals right now—which structure do you prefer, and where do you draw the line?
I'm a big advocate for controlling the deal. I know what my tolerances are and am willing to do whatever to make it work. I have around 5-8 private money lenders that we use as part of our capital stack. Usually bridge lending that gets us through the construction and leasing process if we are holding or all the way through the flip process. I try to find people that know and trust me and have passive money in a CD or something like that. then i pitch the deal and tell them they'll get a mortgage and promissory note. Good luck in the adventure !
@Alejandro Lopez I don’t think one structure is always better—it depends on how predictable the project is and who is actually taking the risk.
For a straightforward deal with a conservative basis, clear scope, strong reserves, and multiple exits, fixed-rate debt can make sense. The operator keeps the upside, but must be able to carry the interest if construction or resale takes longer than expected. I would not use debt if repayment depends on hitting an aggressive timeline or best-case sale price.
A profit split may fit a more uncertain or complex project because the capital partner shares the outcome. But “sharing downside” must be clearly defined: who covers overruns, whether the investor receives preferred returns or capital back first, who controls major decisions, and what happens if additional money is needed.
My line would be this: use debt when cash flow and repayment are highly supportable under conservative assumptions; use equity when uncertainty is high enough that fixed obligations could endanger the project. Either way, the agreement should clearly address collateral, guarantees, reporting, decision rights, overruns, distributions, and the exit plan. The cheapest capital is not always the safest capital.
@Alejandro Lopez I'd let the deal decide. On a predictable project where you know the rehab and the exit, a fixed note usually keeps more of the upside with you and keeps the relationship simple. An equity split makes more sense when the lender is taking real risk or bringing more than money. Whichever you use, put it in writing with a note and mortgage, spell out what happens if the timeline slips, and have an attorney draw it up. Most partnership problems I've heard about started with something nobody wrote down. Hope that helps.
It depends on your experience and how comfortable you are. When I got started, I was doing 60/40 splits where I was giving up 60%. Once I fine-tuned my models and got more experience, I eventually flipped it over to a preferred return. It is much easier to sell an equity split than it is a preferred return in most instances, so if you're just getting started, I would do an equity split.
Good replies here already. Here are a few things from the underwriting side that tend to get missed.
First, check what your senior lender allows. If there's a bank or hard money loan on the project, many of them prohibit secondary financing or require subordination agreements, and some count a private note as debt in the leverage test. An equity partner usually doesn't trip those covenants the same way. Plenty of people decide "debt vs equity" and then learn their first-lien lender already decided for them.
Second, there's a middle ground between a flat 10–12% note and a 50/50 split: a preferred return plus a smaller back-end split. For example, an 8% pref, return of capital, then 70/30 in your favor. The investor gets paid first, and you keep most of the home-run upside. As Chris said, it's harder to sell when you're new, but it's where most experienced operators end up.
Third, stress-test the note the way a lender would. Take your schedule, add 50%, and add 10–15% to costs. If you can still carry the interest and pay the note off from the sale or refi, debt is fine. If the note only works on the base case, the "cheap" debt is actually the risky option, and you want equity sharing the downside.
Finally, whichever you pick, write down the capital-call rule. "What happens if we need another $40K" causes more partnership blowups than the split itself. It should say whether it's a pro-rata call, dilution if someone doesn't fund, or a member loan at a set rate.
Alejandro, the honest answer is that "debt vs. equity" isn't a preference question, it's a pricing question, and most operators never compute the crossover. Chris Seveney's progression (start with the split, graduate to pref) tracks that math, and Rickey Shneyder's point about the first-lien lender quietly deciding for you is the constraint people hit after they've already promised terms.
Here's the arithmetic. On a $500K all-in deal ($400K purchase, $100K rehab), 6 month hold, $700K exit, 6% selling costs:
Straight debt at 12% interest-only: $30K cost. Net profit to you: $700K − $500K − $30K − $42K = $128K.
50/50 equity: investor takes $79K, you take $79K. You just paid $79K for capital that costs $30K as debt.
The crossover: a 50/50 split costs you 0.5 × profit, while debt costs rate × months/12 × capital. Set them equal and your break-even is profit = 2 × (0.12 × 6/12) × $500K = $60K, or 12% of invested capital. Above a 12% profit margin, debt is cheaper. Below it, the split is cheaper, and at zero profit debt still bills you $30K while equity bills you nothing. That's the entire trade.
The middle ground: 8% pref, capital back, then 70/30. Investor earns $20K pref plus 30% of the $138K residual ($41.4K) = $61.4K. You keep $96.6K, beating the split by $17.6K and giving the investor real downside cover.
Rickey's capital-call clause matters more than the split itself. What's your stress case, and does the note survive a 50% timeline extension?