Today we are pumped to bring you one of the most exciting conversations yet on the BiggerPockets Podcast when we sit down with Serge Shukhat, a real estate investor from the Arizona area who is absolutely crushing it in real estate. Serge started with no rental properties just four years ago but has quickly built up a sizable portfolio with a mix of both single family and multifamily properties using creative finance methods and using the cash flow to quit his job.
On this show we cover everything from getting started, choosing single family versus multifamily, tricks for dealing with tenants, increasing the value of your properties, and a ton more. This is definitely a show you’ll want to take some notes, so get ready to have your mind blown!
Read the Transcript
Click here to read the transcript.
Listen to The Show on iTunes
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
In This Show, We Cover:
- How Serge got started while working full time
- How an Umbrella Policy can reduce your risk
- Landlord responsibilities vs. tenant responsibilities
- What kind of legal entity Serge uses
- Overcoming bad deals by “Doubling Down”
- How a competitive advantage can transform your business
- Working with real estate agents vs. getting your license
- Serge’s unique apartment that he’s bought and sold 4 times
- Hiring a resident manager to help reduce the load
- How to increase the value of your property by hundreds of thousands of dollars (OMG)
- And a lot more!
Links from the Show
- BP Podcast 048: Duplex Investing, Finding Great Properties, and Tips for Managing Tenants with Darren Sager
- Newbies Take Note: Why You Shouldn’t Buy Houses for $30,000 by Ben Leybovich
Books Mentioned in the Show
- Landlording on Auto-Pilot by Mike Butler
- The Real Book of Real Estate by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Good to Great by Jim Collins
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
“Real estate never works out how you thought it would when you bought it in paper.” (Tweet This!)
“I don’t want to work till I’m 65, sick, or corporate downsized.” (Tweet This!)
“My biggest risk was not losing my job- it was not buying enough real estate.” (Tweet This!)
“You can go broke buying good deals.” (Tweet This!)
“Population, income, and jobs drive real estate.” (Tweet This!)
“It doesn’t matter if the first deal is bad… at least you learned.” (Tweet This!)
Take what the market gives you and be quick to pivot. (Tweet This!)
Connect with Paul
- Serge’s BiggerPockets Profile