Guru Scam Words!

Guru Scam Words!

Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I've been around this business long enough to see just about every scammer out there. I've noticed that all of the scammers use certain words: Here's my list:

1. SECRET (the gurus have a secret alright. The secret is that they don't have a secret, beyond the secret to fleecing newbies.)

2. SYSTEM (many of the gurus claim to have a "system" that will allow you to get rich without work)

3. AUTOPILOT (also meant to convey to newbies that money will just fall from the sky without effort. One internet marketing program claims that you will make money while you sleep. Just take a nap and you'll be rich I suppose.)

4. OUTRAGEOUS PROFITS - no business has outrageous profits. It always sounds easier than it is.

5. EXPLODE (your income, profits, wealth, etc) - in the real world you work hard for these things, they don't simply explode!

6. INNER CIRCLE (meant to convey that you will be best personal friends with the guru)

7. UNIVERSITY (meant to give legitimacy to the guru when they clearly aren't accredited as an institution of higher learning)\

Can you think of more words that the gurus use? Let's hear them!

Mike

1Reply
336 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Elgin, IL · Member since 2009 · 135 posts · 9 votes
17y

Hope
Change

This sounds like a scam of Presidential perportions! :mrgreen:

See this reply in the discussion

67 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    Take Action today: Meaning your wallet just got a little smaller, your sphincter just got a little rounder

    Dream Stealers: People with more common sense than you.

    I am doing this to give back: I only add value to myself

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y

    One of the worst ones is when they use the words:

    Rental Property
    Riches

    And tell you in 1 minute you can get rich I mean come on people WTF!!!!!

    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Special bonus - I recorded this phone call I had a while back and will give you a CD of it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lakeview, NY · Member since 2009 · 309 posts · 49 votes
    17y

    The latest one I've heard is "turn-key"

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Rental Property
    Riches

    And tell you in 1 minute you can get rich I mean come on people WTF!!!!

    I believe that guy has stated that the title was a sarcasm of all the guru stupidity. I know for a fact that calling him a "guru" would be considered FIGHTING WORDS! He'd much rather be called a slumlord than a "GURU"! LOL!

  • Real Estate Investor · Lakeview, NY · Member since 2009 · 309 posts · 49 votes
    17y

    I thought there was a connect there...lol

  • Real Estate Investor · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    # 1 RE scammer word "guru"

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:


    3. AUTOPILOT (also meant to convey to newbies that money will just fall from the sky without effort. One internet marketing program claims that you will make money while you sleep. Just take a nap and you'll be rich I suppose.)



    That's what I'm talking about!! I love naps!
    Originally posted by Steve Flemming:
    # 1 RE scammer word "guru"

    exactly right on point with that

  • Real Estate Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2008 · 742 posts · 463 votes
    17y

    Special price today of $497. ONLY! The items included are actually totaled around $2000 plus the "bonus" material adds a value that makes this the best deal out there. But only today.....$497.

    This one cracks me up!

  • Real Estate Investor · Belvidere, IL · Member since 2009 · 169 posts · 65 votes
    17y

    I would add "cracked the code" and "Blueprint". Seems every guru is offering free Blueprints, which also provides a 30 day free trial of what they are really trying to sell. You must use your credit card to pay for shipping of the Blueprint, and then of course, they now have your cc# to continue billing you for their program after the free trial period.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Larry Moore:
    I would add "cracked the code" and "Blueprint". Seems every guru is offering free Blueprints, which also provides a 30 day free trial of what they are really trying to sell. You must use your credit card to pay for shipping of the Blueprint, and then of course, they now have your cc# to continue billing you for their program after the free trial period.
    Well, you could always use the one time use only numbers most credit card companies generate now for on-line sales. I have used them a number of times and even though I cancel during the trial period they still try to charge the card. I usually get a nasty email about the credit card being fraudulent and they are going to "report me" unless I immediately give them the real card number. It's funny, because I then ENCOURAGE them to start a fraud investigation and we will look into why they tried to charge my card fraudulently. That usually ends it.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    17y

    "Hi my name is [SCRUBBED BY ADMIN] and meet my friend [SCRUBBED BY ADMIN]"

    :)

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tom C:
    "Hi my name is [SCRUBBED BY ADMIN] and meet my friend [SCRUBBED BY ADMIN]"

    :)




    ok, you win with that one :rock:
  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Taz:
    Originally posted by Larry Moore:
    I would add "cracked the code" and "Blueprint". Seems every guru is offering free Blueprints, which also provides a 30 day free trial of what they are really trying to sell. You must use your credit card to pay for shipping of the Blueprint, and then of course, they now have your cc# to continue billing you for their program after the free trial period.
    Well, you could always use the one time use only numbers most credit card companies generate now for on-line sales. I have used them a number of times and even though I cancel during the trial period they still try to charge the card. I usually get a nasty email about the credit card being fraudulent and they are going to "report me" unless I immediately give them the real card number. It's funny, because I then ENCOURAGE them to start a fraud investigation and we will look into why they tried to charge my card fraudulently. That usually ends it.



    Where do you get those?
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tom C:
    "Hi my name is [SCRUBBED BY ADMIN] and meet my friend [SCRUBBED BY ADMIN]"

    :)


    I had to scrub the post of the direct accusations . . . sorry man.
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    17y

    how about:
    "free bonuses"
    "special report"
    "limited quantities"
    "includes coaching call - valued at $$$"
    "secret sign up page for early access"

  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2008 · 566 posts · 356 votes
    17y

    Hey Joshua - you thinking what I'm thinking? SmallerPockets.com?

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    17y

    Sorry Josh, my bad, but it was a good one. lol

  • Virtual Assistant · atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    17y

    Two words:

    "Boot Camp"

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Ralph Scott:
    Hey Joshua - you thinking what I'm thinking? SmallerPockets.com?


    We've already got SmallerPockets.com . . . we could use it to create a mocumentary-type website where we pull out all of the tricks used in this thread just to show how stupid all of this crap is.

    Anyone interested?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    Guru = www.wetakefromyourpockets.com

    Guru scams / www.emptypockets.com

  • Real Estate Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    17y


    "How would you like it if ________ ?"
    "What would you do if _______ ?"
    "Would you like this to happen?"

    These words always provoke a "Yes" or "Yes"-feeling response. The more yes's, the better the chance you'll buy something at the end.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    Our mentoring starts at just $XX,000 . . .

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    I've been around this business long enough to see just about every scammer out there. I've noticed that all of the scammers use certain words: Here's my list:

    You forgot two Mike:

    Hope

    Change

  • Real Estate Investor · Elgin, IL · Member since 2009 · 135 posts · 9 votes
    17y

    Hope
    Change

    This sounds like a scam of Presidential perportions! :mrgreen:

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.