POF Letter?

POF Letter?

Real Estate Investor · Capitol Heights , MD · Member since 2010 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hello fellow investors. I'm very new to investing but I have pick up a ton of info from both reading and taking action on what I've learned. I've submitted a good amount of offers but have never got a property under contract. Although I have had negotiations with banks ( I go after REO's ) I continue to run into the same problem. So far I've used a POF from a HML that I've personally meet with to discuss terms and things of that nature. So the POF isn't generic but, banks in my area ( PG County, MD ) haven't been that receptive of my Subject to HML approval clause. Is there a way around this?

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Curt DavisBusiness Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
16y

Well, here are my 2 cents.

Quit trying what you are doing. Banks are not going to take your POF letter from your HML. Any type of contingency in your contract will kill the deal with the bank. Your offer needs to be all cash and close quickly if you want to get the deal. What does " subject to hard money approval " mean anyways? If I was the bank I would think, well, this potential buyer has a POF from a HML but it says subject to HML approval? Now this does not make sense?

Use a real POF, no contingencies, cash and close quick. You need to be prepared to close on the home if need be.

Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    16y

    What other contingencies do you have in your contract?

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    16y

    Well, here are my 2 cents.

    Quit trying what you are doing. Banks are not going to take your POF letter from your HML. Any type of contingency in your contract will kill the deal with the bank. Your offer needs to be all cash and close quickly if you want to get the deal. What does " subject to hard money approval " mean anyways? If I was the bank I would think, well, this potential buyer has a POF from a HML but it says subject to HML approval? Now this does not make sense?

    Use a real POF, no contingencies, cash and close quick. You need to be prepared to close on the home if need be.

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Real Estate Investor · Capitol Heights , MD · Member since 2010 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    First thank you for your replies.
    I don't have any other contingencies. I was taught this method by an more expierenced Investor. So in this case I leaned on him for advice on persuing REO's.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    16y

    HMLs have issued POF letters to anyone in the last 4 years, so they are now about worthless in dealing with any seller.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Jerry PuckettPro Member
    Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Curt Davis:
    Well, here are my 2 cents.

    Quit trying what you are doing. Banks are not going to take your POF letter from your HML.

    Use a real POF, no contingencies, cash and close quick. You need to be prepared to close on the home if need be.

    So are you saying that investors who don't have cash should not pursue REOs ? Or just not in this way? HML's don't work for REO properties? REO's are not on my menu...yet...I'm just now getting more comfortable with hard money. I don't know what it's limitations are.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Monrovia, CA · Member since 2009 · 73 posts · 20 votes
    16y

    In my experience (limited as it may be) I have found that helping distressed sellers as an investor where the situation is a win-win for everybody involved is a little easier than going after REOs.

    A la short sales and situations where folks have inherited property that they cannot afford to repair or keep up payment on.

    Anthony as far as your POF and the contingency problem go Curt is right on the money. You ARE A CASH BUYER.
    1.Review the guidelines of your HML.
    2.make your offers accordingly (no contingencies)
    3.get your exit strategy together (this should actually be #1)
    4.Close the deal and execute your exit strategy

    There's some things in between and I'm sure some folks here may suggest a different order but generally that's the basics.

    Hope that helped.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Don Konipol:
    HMLs have issued POF letters to anyone in the last 4 years, so they are now about worthless in dealing with any seller.

    The only POF I have ever seen that was worth the paper it was written on has been a bank statement showing a balance.
    Anything else is meaningless IMO.

  • Real Estate Investor · Capitol Heights , MD · Member since 2010 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    If using HML isn't going to work. This in and of itself changes just about everything for me. I new to this but have submitted over 60 offers. I don't just put out anything offers either. I do my homework. This really helps me a ton. Thank you everyone.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    16y

    Anthony-

    What are trying to do the with the properties? Wholesale, rehab, buy and hold?

    Do you really have cash and just prefer to use hardmoney?

    I think some of the advice above is a bit premature. Tell what your intents are so we can help you a little better. There are plenty of people buying REO's with no cash or other peoples cash, so there is a way to do it.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Monrovia, CA · Member since 2009 · 73 posts · 20 votes
    16y

    I really think Anthony's problems lie in the contingencies. I print POFs all day like candy and have made offers on all types of sales REOs, Short Sales, and Regular. I send my offers with the POFs and write the offers ALL CASH.
    90% of my initial offers come back either rejected for being too low, countered, or accepted.
    I have never had an issue with POF letters although they are easy to come by nowadays.

  • Real Estate Investor · Capitol Heights , MD · Member since 2010 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    My goal is to wholesale. I have some cash but really don't want to use it. It's not a whole lot anyway. Thanks guys.

  • Real Estate Investor · Jarrettsville, MD · Member since 2010 · 76 posts · 12 votes
    16y

    I used a combination of cash(bank statements) lines of credit, 401K, etc for my POF on my recent deal, then used a HML.

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2008 · 47 posts · 22 votes
    16y

    Anthony,
    I have to agree with Curt. A real POF and less contingencies. My offers usually have only the inspection as a contingency and are cash offers.

    If you have a good relationship with someone who has a decent bank balance ask them to pseudo-partner with you so that you can get a legitimate bank statement as a POF. You can have them write up a short, non-binding letter that says that you are partnered with them and have permission to purchase real estate with their money. I've done this, it's no big deal, and I've gotten properties under contract doing this.

    I am with many of the folks who replied with the belief that POF from HM lenders are viewed as a joke now days. Just like Eric said, I think that they want to see a cash balance.

    Cheers,
    John

  • Real Estate Investor · Capitol Heights , MD · Member since 2010 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    If I changed my contingencies to make them more suitable and submit an all cash offer, wouldn't I need a all cash back end investor?

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2008 · 47 posts · 22 votes
    16y

    It's always good to have a back end investor who doesn't need to finance the deal, if they don't have cash the second best thing is a hard money loan. Vetting your end buyer for their ability to perform on the purchase is critical. I don't sell my wholesale properties to investors with no cash and/or no experience with a hard money lender - I absolutely won't sell to an investor who is trying to put any kind of conventional lending together.

    You don't have to pay cash for the property if you get your cash offer accepted. In my experience, as long as the purchase gets funded they don't much care how. HOWEVER, if you make an all cash offer and can't perform (close) because of funding reasons then you will lose your earnest money and you shouldn't have been going after this property at this price in the first place. If you make all cash offers you should be certain that you can put your money (or financing) where your mouth is.

    Cheers,
    John

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.