I have a short term rental that I self manage and am considered a real estate professional based on material participation rules. I did a cost segregation on the property 2 years ago and am now in the process of selling the home to purchase a long term rental. Based on the expected sale price, I am not expecting a capital gains hit as the sale price is only $15k more than purchase price. My question is: Since there is such a small capital gains tax hit, is there still a benefit to 1031 exchange to transfer any of that depreciation with the sale so I don't get a big tax hit on this sale? Or is cost segregation not transferable with the 1031 exchange? Thanks of any advice.
A cost segregation study accelerates depreciation by classifying certain building components as personal property or land improvements, allowing them to be depreciated over shorter recovery periods (e.g., 5, 7, or 15 years instead of 27.5 or 39 years).
By accelerating depreciation, cost segregation lowers your tax basis more quickly than standard straight-line depreciation. This means that when you sell the property, your adjusted tax basis is lower, which increases the capital gain you must recognize.
Additionally, any accelerated depreciation taken is subject to depreciation recapture at a higher tax rate (up to 25% for real estate assets) rather than being taxed as long-term capital gains.
So, while cost segregation provides significant upfront tax savings, it also increases your capital gains tax liability upon sale unless you use a 1031 exchange or other tax-deferral strategies.
You can find your current tax basis by reviewing your depreciation schedule (Form 4562) and prior years’ tax returns, specifically looking at your adjusted basis on Form 4797 (for sales of business property) or Schedule D (for capital gains and losses).
Your CPA should be consulted prior to making any decisions.
A cost segregation study accelerates depreciation by classifying certain building components as personal property or land improvements, allowing them to be depreciated over shorter recovery periods (e.g., 5, 7, or 15 years instead of 27.5 or 39 years).
By accelerating depreciation, cost segregation lowers your tax basis more quickly than standard straight-line depreciation. This means that when you sell the property, your adjusted tax basis is lower, which increases the capital gain you must recognize.
Additionally, any accelerated depreciation taken is subject to depreciation recapture at a higher tax rate (up to 25% for real estate assets) rather than being taxed as long-term capital gains.
So, while cost segregation provides significant upfront tax savings, it also increases your capital gains tax liability upon sale unless you use a 1031 exchange or other tax-deferral strategies.
You can find your current tax basis by reviewing your depreciation schedule (Form 4562) and prior years’ tax returns, specifically looking at your adjusted basis on Form 4797 (for sales of business property) or Schedule D (for capital gains and losses).
Your CPA should be consulted prior to making any decisions.
To add to it. Your capital gain is calculated as the amount realized from the sale minus your adjusted basis. Due to the accelerated depreciation you've taken, your adjusted basis will be lower than your original purchase price. In your situation, the primary concern is the potential tax impact from depreciation recapture, rather than capital gains. When you sell a property, the IRS requires you to recapture the depreciation you've taken, which is taxed at a higher rate than capital gains. This includes any accelerated depreciation from a cost segregation study.
Many investors are unaware of the depreciation recapture tax and only consider potential capital gains. I've included an example of the taxes you might incur in an image below.
A 1031 exchange can be beneficial in your case because it allows you to defer not only capital gains taxes but also the depreciation recapture tax, thus avoiding the immediate tax hit. The basis of the replacement property will be adjusted to reflect the deferred gain and depreciation recapture, meaning the deferred depreciation will continue to impact your tax situation in the future.
As always, consult with your CPA before making any decisions to ensure the best strategy for your specific situation.
Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1y
@Cameron Nordin, @Jon Taylor's explanation was spot on. The 1031 is going to reap you a large net benefit even if there isn't a lot of capital gain. The depreciation on the cost seg will bit you pretty good.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y
Short answer is you’ll owe as much or more taxes than you saved with your cost segregation if you don’t do a 1031. So, If you don’t do a 1031 you shouldn’t have done the cost segregation. If you thought that was worthwhile this should be too.
Short answer is you’ll owe as much or more taxes than you saved with your cost segregation if you don’t do a 1031. So, If you don’t do a 1031 you shouldn’t have done the cost segregation. If you thought that was worthwhile this should be too.
I disagree. Cost segregation can still be beneficial without a 1031 exchange.
Think about the "lazy 1031 exchange". Ex. You use the depreciation losses from Property B to offset the depreciation recapture & capital gains from the sale of Property A.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y
@Sean Graham isn’t your example paying for another cost segregation, which will cost more than a 1031, just to break even on taxes? As opposed to either doing the cheaper 1031 and being ahead on taxes. Or doing the 1031 and a cost segregation and being way ahead? It seems like the worst choice.
I'm probably just coming at it from a bad angle as I'm not a big cost seg fan on SFR. I like having my depreciation expenses being available against just my highest taxes every year rather than use too much in year one. Of course I never had a really high w-2 income to offset. So I went almost 7 years paying zero taxes, until I started paying properties off. Now as my income accelerates I'm happy to have the depreciation.
I was simply trying to make the best of his bad situation. I don’t make any money whatever he chooses to do. It’s all good. :-)
@Sean Graham isn’t your example paying for another cost segregation, which will cost more than a 1031, just to break even on taxes? As opposed to either doing the cheaper 1031 and being ahead on taxes. Or doing the 1031 and a cost segregation and being way ahead? It seems like the worst choice.
I'm probably just coming at it from a bad angle as I'm not a big cost seg fan on SFR. I like having my depreciation expenses being available against just my highest taxes every year rather than use too much in year one. Of course I never had a really high w-2 income to offset. So I went almost 7 years paying zero taxes, until I started paying properties off. Now as my income accelerates I'm happy to have the depreciation.
I was simply trying to make the best of his bad situation. I don’t make any money whatever he chooses to do. It’s all good. :-)
Let's connect on this! It's just another option if 1031 exchange isn't an option. Both a viable strategies.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
@Cameron Nordin A 1031 exchange allows you to defer capital gains taxes and depreciation recapture, but it does not transfer previously taken cost segregation depreciation to the new property. Instead, depreciation recapture is deferred along with any capital gains when using a 1031 exchange. Since you claimed accelerated depreciation through cost segregation, a sale without a 1031 exchange would trigger recapture tax on the depreciation taken.
Even though your capital gain is small ($15K), the main tax concern is depreciation recapture, not just capital gains. If you don't do a 1031 exchange, you’ll owe tax on the portion of depreciation claimed, even if the sale price is close to the original purchase price. By completing a 1031 exchange, you can roll over both your gains and deferred depreciation into the new long-term rental, avoiding an immediate tax hit.
However, consider whether deferring recapture is worth it if you plan to hold the new property long-term and take additional depreciation. If you anticipate selling the replacement property in a few years without another exchange, the tax deferral may only be temporary. This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.
I have a short term rental that I self manage and am considered a real estate professional based on material participation rules.
Being a real estate professional would not matter for a short-term rental if by STR you mean the tax law definition (which is a property where the average rental interval is 7 days or less).
Also just to be clear, to deduct STR losses you'd need to materially participate in the STR.
Note: STRs can work well for real estate investors because tax law says they aren't considered rentals. Here's the actual rule from the regs:
(ii)Exceptions. For purposes of this paragraph (e)(3), an activity involving the use of tangible property is not a rental activity for a taxable year if for such taxable year—
(A) The average period of customer use for such property is seven days or less;