My journey so far…..

My journey so far…..

Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes

Hello Bigger Pocket peeps,

I created my profile in 2015 and haven’t been very active on here. I’m not very smart and kind of slow. Over the last couple of decades, I’ve been in the motel business, owned several c-store/gas stations and now operating several QSRs. Since 2015 I’ve been wanting to get into rentals. I invested in couple syndications passively. One deal is going well, the other one Not so well.

I partnered up with a couple of friends/neighbors. Here are the deals that we currently have in the pipeline.

Project 1-(Hour and a half away from DFW metroplex): We recently did ground up construction on a student housing facility consisting of 44 bedrooms and 44 bathrooms kind of across the street from a D1 university. 100% occupied as of today. Thank God!

Project 2: it’s half a mile from project1 above. Shovel ready . Permitting civil engineering, architectural, everything taken care of. Loan approved on this project. This will consist of 80 bedrooms and 90 bathrooms.

Project 3: 13 acres land purchased on the outskirts of DFW metroplex, plat approved, got a meeting setup with the city. Looking to built about 48 built to rent homes.

Project 4: 79 acres land purchased, overlooking with the lake views in the same town as project 3 above which is on the outskirts of DFW metroplex. It’s in design phase. Looking into doing a large development there.

Project 5: Purchased 1 acre in the same town as project 3 and 4 above in the outskirts of DFW metroplex.

It already has about a 1000 sq ft rental on it. Looking into building 5 more small rentals.

Project 6: Bought a 1960s house in Richardson, which is in the heart of dallas. Fully rehabbed it. Kind of conflicted if I should Do long term rentals, Airbnb or just sell it. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

3Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Joshua MessingerBusiness Member
Property Manager · Poconos, PA · Member since 2020 · 443 posts · 264 votes
4y

Hey @Shay Ghafoor! 

I don't see how you are slow and not "very smart". It seems like you are doing extremely well and managing your time efficiently (shown from how many projects you have going on). 

For project 6 do you know if your area allows short-term rentals? If so, I'd love to help you run an analysis on how much it potentially could make as an STR or LTR. Feel free to reach out!

Otherwise, keep absolutely crushing the game! And, if you ever need anything don't hesitate to reach out! 

-

Josh

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    Forgot to mention

    Project 7: built and sold couple of SFRs in the same town as project 1 and 2 above.

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 164 posts · 80 votes
    4y

    Shay - Congrats, those are all huge achievements. Good job on grinding!

    Project 6: Does Richardson allow STR? How much time will this take away from your other projects? I'd focus on the bigger projects and sell this. Your time is more valuable in my opinion.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shay Ghafoor:

    Hello Bigger Pocket peeps,

    I created my profile in 2015 and haven’t been very active on here. I’m not very smart and kind of slow. Over the last couple of decades, I’ve been in the motel business, owned several c-store/gas stations and now operating several QSRs. Since 2015 I’ve been wanting to get into rentals. I invested in couple syndications passively. One deal is going well, the other one Not so well.

    I partnered up with a couple of friends/neighbors. Here are the deals that we currently have in the pipeline.

    Project 1-(Hour and a half away from DFW metroplex): We recently did ground up construction on a student housing facility consisting of 44 bedrooms and 44 bathrooms kind of across the street from a D1 university. 100% occupied as of today. Thank God!

    Project 2: it’s half a mile from project1 above. Shovel ready . Permitting civil engineering, architectural, everything taken care of. Loan approved on this project. This will consist of 80 bedrooms and 90 bathrooms.

    Project 3: 13 acres land purchased on the outskirts of DFW metroplex, plat approved, got a meeting setup with the city. Looking to built about 48 built to rent homes.

    Project 4: 79 acres land purchased, overlooking with the lake views in the same town as project 3 above which is on the outskirts of DFW metroplex. It’s in design phase. Looking into doing a large development there.

    Project 5: Purchased 1 acre in the same town as project 3 and 4 above in the outskirts of DFW metroplex.

    It already has about a 1000 sq ft rental on it. Looking into building 5 more small rentals.

    Project 6: Bought a 1960s house in Richardson, which is in the heart of dallas. Fully rehabbed it. Kind of conflicted if I should Do long term rentals, Airbnb or just sell it. Any suggestions?

    Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!

    Best regards!


     You sound very smart and not slow at all. These are great accomplishments, Shay! I like how you are pursuing multiple properties and keeping the ball rolling. What is your end goal?

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Mo Karim

    Thanks Mo!

    Your advice is spot on! I’m learning that it take the same time to make $100,000 or $1,000,000. Will be more focused moving forward, God Willing!

    This project looked like it had plenty of meat on the bone when a handy man brought to me. He said he can rehab it all himself for about $40k. He was totally off…I had to bring my new construction crew to the job and $220k rehab, ouch! It was a 1960s house but new almost new :). New roof, electrical, plumbing, added bed room, bathroom, new doors and windows, all new kitchen….looks awesome! But God that Hurt :). Will post some pics soon!

  • Joshua MessingerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Poconos, PA · Member since 2020 · 443 posts · 264 votes
    4y

    Hey @Shay Ghafoor! 

    I don't see how you are slow and not "very smart". It seems like you are doing extremely well and managing your time efficiently (shown from how many projects you have going on). 

    For project 6 do you know if your area allows short-term rentals? If so, I'd love to help you run an analysis on how much it potentially could make as an STR or LTR. Feel free to reach out!

    Otherwise, keep absolutely crushing the game! And, if you ever need anything don't hesitate to reach out! 

    -

    Josh

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Steven Wilson

    Thanks for your encouraging and kind comments!

    The end goal?

    Excellent question! I found that for me it’s always evolving! I’ve started multiple businesses over the last couple of decades. Been in the motel business, had some c-stores/gas stations, now have a few qsrs. I’m learning we investors have a life cycle as well. So the goal is to create the life we want to live. Basically, God, family, business. In that order. Some days I feel like I’m so close on other days so far away :). But thank God for my….with the above in mind to have the net worth and liquidity along with cash flowing RE that doesn’t require me working 16 hours/day like I use to.

    Best Regards

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Mo Karim

    I believe Richardson does allow SRT.

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 164 posts · 80 votes
    4y

    @Shay Ghafoor

    The problem would still be it requiring your time. Maybe you can delegate it to an employee who can answer guest questions, take calls for emergencies, etc. Airdna.com is a good site to see what you might be able to charge and get a decent picture of your STR investment. I personally think you're better off selling or LTR. Let me know if you have any questions.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shay Ghafoor:

    @Steven Wilson

    Thanks for your encouraging and kind comments!

    The end goal?

    Excellent question! I found that for me it’s always evolving! I’ve started multiple businesses over the last couple of decades. Been in the motel business, had some c-stores/gas stations, now have a few qsrs. I’m learning we investors have a life cycle as well. So the goal is to create the life we want to live. Basically, God, family, business. In that order. Some days I feel like I’m so close on other days so far away :). But thank God for my….with the above in mind to have the net worth and liquidity along with cash flowing RE that doesn’t require me working 16 hours/day like I use to.

    Best Regards


     That is great Shay! I view my goals in that same order. God sure does direct our paths in the end. It is cool to see how He has done that for you. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Joshua Messinger

    Hey Josh,

    Thanks for the encouragement!!

    Richardson does allow short term rentals. Would love to learn more and compare LTR vs STR. Pm you the address?

    Regards

    Shay

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Mo Karim

    Mo,

    You are absolutely right about time and that’s reason I’m reluctant. At the same time don’t want to give it away.

    Thanks for the Airdna suggestion! Numbers look interesting.

    I would like to sell if I can get the right price. Do have it on the market. Let’s see how it goes. It’s an awesome house and location.

    Are you managing your own rentals?

    Regards

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Steven Wilson

    That’s awesome Steven! HE sure does! Likewise! Glad we connected. Let’s continue the discussion. Keep up the good work! You do anything out of your home base?

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 164 posts · 80 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shay Ghafoor:

    @Mo Karim

    Mo,

    You are absolutely right about time and that’s reason I’m reluctant. At the same time don’t want to give it away.

    Thanks for the Airdna suggestion! Numbers look interesting.

    I would like to sell if I can get the right price. Do have it on the market. Let’s see how it goes. It’s an awesome house and location.

    Are you managing your own rentals?

    Regards


     No, I contract that out to third party companies. I invest out of state and this is way easier to scale this way (for me anyway). 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Mo Karim

    Thanks for the quick response Mo! Probably the best thing to do! I invested in a couple of large MF properties passively and that’s how they do it as well. They have thousands of units. This house is an oddball so I may use a management company. But on the new MF, student housing, and BTR SFRs I’m kinda doing it all. Have a few partners including the one from above that controls a few thousand units…for now I’m the investor, developer, builder, property manager. Wanted to get beat up from every angle. :)

    Are you invested passively or syndicating yourself?

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 164 posts · 80 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shay Ghafoor:

    @Mo Karim

    Thanks for the quick response Mo! Probably the best thing to do! I invested in a couple of large MF properties passively and that’s how they do it as well. They have thousands of units. This house is an oddball so I may use a management company. But on the new MF, student housing, and BTR SFRs I’m kinda doing it all. Have a few partners including the one from above that controls a few thousand units…for now I’m the investor, developer, builder, property manager. Wanted to get beat up from every angle. :)

    Are you invested passively or syndicating yourself?


     I own it and hire out the management portion so not as passive but I like it. Check out nestegg.com for budget friendly property management. They do single family only.

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 164 posts · 80 votes
    4y

    Sorry, nestegg.rent. Of course do your own research to see if it’s be a good fit for you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Mo Karim

    That’s great Mo!

    Thanks for the suggestion!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Mo Karim

    Will do, thanks! Currently using buildium. Will compare both. I see you are in Dallas. Looking forward to meeting you in person one of these days.

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 164 posts · 80 votes
    4y

    Absolutely!

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shay Ghafoor:

    @Steven Wilson

    That’s awesome Steven! HE sure does! Likewise! Glad we connected. Let’s continue the discussion. Keep up the good work! You do anything out of your home base?


     What do you mean by home base? I invest here in Columbus and I also broker a lot of deals. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Steven Wilson

    I meant outside of Columbus. Sorry for the confusion!

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shay Ghafoor:

    @Steven Wilson

    I meant outside of Columbus. Sorry for the confusion!


     Yes, I do. I do deals in Cleveland, Cincinnati, and other tertiary markets. 

  • Realtor · Pocono Pines, PA · Member since 2019 · 183 posts · 108 votes
    4y

    Hey @Shay Ghafoor 

    Wow Sounds like you have a lot going on haha, I suggest trying STR on whatever you arent making what you want to, or think that you can make more. Im happy to analyze and run numbers on anything that you are interested in as a potential STR.

    Feel free to DM me, Id love to help!

    all the best, 

    Mike 

  • Stephen KeigheryBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 716 posts · 555 votes
    4y

    Nice work. Can't wait to hear about project 8 and beyond.

    Home Buyer Louisiana4.855 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Stephen Keighery

    Thanks Stephen!

    Looks like you are crushing it! Looking forward to learning more of what you do. How are you liking New Orleans? I’ve got family there and in Baton Rouge. I have several deals in Baton Rouge as well.

    Let’s continue the discussion.

    Regards

    Shay

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.