My journey so far…..

My journey so far…..

Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes

Hello Bigger Pocket peeps,

I created my profile in 2015 and haven’t been very active on here. I’m not very smart and kind of slow. Over the last couple of decades, I’ve been in the motel business, owned several c-store/gas stations and now operating several QSRs. Since 2015 I’ve been wanting to get into rentals. I invested in couple syndications passively. One deal is going well, the other one Not so well.

I partnered up with a couple of friends/neighbors. Here are the deals that we currently have in the pipeline.

Project 1-(Hour and a half away from DFW metroplex): We recently did ground up construction on a student housing facility consisting of 44 bedrooms and 44 bathrooms kind of across the street from a D1 university. 100% occupied as of today. Thank God!

Project 2: it’s half a mile from project1 above. Shovel ready . Permitting civil engineering, architectural, everything taken care of. Loan approved on this project. This will consist of 80 bedrooms and 90 bathrooms.

Project 3: 13 acres land purchased on the outskirts of DFW metroplex, plat approved, got a meeting setup with the city. Looking to built about 48 built to rent homes.

Project 4: 79 acres land purchased, overlooking with the lake views in the same town as project 3 above which is on the outskirts of DFW metroplex. It’s in design phase. Looking into doing a large development there.

Project 5: Purchased 1 acre in the same town as project 3 and 4 above in the outskirts of DFW metroplex.

It already has about a 1000 sq ft rental on it. Looking into building 5 more small rentals.

Project 6: Bought a 1960s house in Richardson, which is in the heart of dallas. Fully rehabbed it. Kind of conflicted if I should Do long term rentals, Airbnb or just sell it. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

3Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Joshua MessingerBusiness Member
Property Manager · Poconos, PA · Member since 2020 · 443 posts · 264 votes
4y

Hey @Shay Ghafoor! 

I don't see how you are slow and not "very smart". It seems like you are doing extremely well and managing your time efficiently (shown from how many projects you have going on). 

For project 6 do you know if your area allows short-term rentals? If so, I'd love to help you run an analysis on how much it potentially could make as an STR or LTR. Feel free to reach out!

Otherwise, keep absolutely crushing the game! And, if you ever need anything don't hesitate to reach out! 

-

Josh

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Stephen Keighery

    Actually 4 projects in Baton Rouge. Didn't mention as they weren't SFR/MF. :)

    Regards

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Mike Eichler

    Awesome to see you focusing on the right stuff so early on. Looking forward to to hearing great things from you!

    Regards

    Shay

  • Real Estate Agent · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 33 votes
    4y

    nice!! I’m out here in Baton Rouge too!



    Quote from @Shay Ghafoor:

    @Stephen Keighery

    Actually 4 projects in Baton Rouge. Didn't mention as they weren't SFR/MF. :)

    Regards


  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shay Ghafoor:

    Hello Bigger Pocket peeps,

    I created my profile in 2015 and haven’t been very active on here. I’m not very smart and kind of slow. Over the last couple of decades, I’ve been in the motel business, owned several c-store/gas stations and now operating several QSRs. Since 2015 I’ve been wanting to get into rentals. I invested in couple syndications passively. One deal is going well, the other one Not so well.

    I partnered up with a couple of friends/neighbors. Here are the deals that we currently have in the pipeline.

    Project 1-(Hour and a half away from DFW metroplex): We recently did ground up construction on a student housing facility consisting of 44 bedrooms and 44 bathrooms kind of across the street from a D1 university. 100% occupied as of today. Thank God!

    Project 2: it’s half a mile from project1 above. Shovel ready . Permitting civil engineering, architectural, everything taken care of. Loan approved on this project. This will consist of 80 bedrooms and 90 bathrooms.

    Project 3: 13 acres land purchased on the outskirts of DFW metroplex, plat approved, got a meeting setup with the city. Looking to built about 48 built to rent homes.

    Project 4: 79 acres land purchased, overlooking with the lake views in the same town as project 3 above which is on the outskirts of DFW metroplex. It’s in design phase. Looking into doing a large development there.

    Project 5: Purchased 1 acre in the same town as project 3 and 4 above in the outskirts of DFW metroplex.

    It already has about a 1000 sq ft rental on it. Looking into building 5 more small rentals.

    Project 6: Bought a 1960s house in Richardson, which is in the heart of dallas. Fully rehabbed it. Kind of conflicted if I should Do long term rentals, Airbnb or just sell it. Any suggestions?

    Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!

    Best regards!

    Niiice

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Brian Mackey

    Awesome Brian! Pleasure connecting!

    Are you liking STR or LTR more? I see you do both.

    Regards

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @James Wise

    Thanks James! Great podcast! Keep up the good work!

    Regards

  • Stephen KeigheryBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 716 posts · 555 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shay Ghafoor:

    @Stephen Keighery

    Actually 4 projects in Baton Rouge. Didn't mention as they weren't SFR/MF. :)

    Regards


     Awesome. Are you looking for deals in Baton Rouge (or New Orleans)? I wholesale in that area so let me if you want more deals and I can add you to my buyers list. 

    Home Buyer Louisiana4.855 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 33 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shay Ghafoor:

    @Brian Mackey

    Awesome Brian! Pleasure connecting!

    Are you liking STR or LTR more? I see you do both.

    Regards


    They have their positives and negatives. STR's are a legit business with a lot of moving parts, follow up, financials. LTR's are as well, but definitely with a lot less oversight. I like having both to be a bit diversified.

  • Rental Property Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 49 votes
    4y

    Funny, I also spent "beaucoup bucks" to reno a 1960's house in Richardson. 180k. Looks amazing though and cash flows as a LTR with a prop mgr. I would hold for appreciation if you've locked in a good interest rate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Brian Mackey

    Very interesting Brian! Trying to figure out how to do STR rentals with minimum investment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Michael W. McCord

    That’s Awesome Michael!

    Where abouts is your SFR in Richardson? Mine is on Spring Valley.

    I have it on the market for sale. Several months ago it would have sold above asking but it's a different story now…will give it a bit longer than pivot to STR or LTR.

    How long have you been in Tajikistan? How do you like it? It’s being talked about more and more in investment and retirement expat circles.

    Regards

  • Rental Property Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 49 votes
    4y

    @Shay Ghafoor

    My SFR is in the Prairie Creek area and I plan to hang on to it since rentals are very rare in that neighborhood. Plus I don't want to give up a 2.75% interest rate.

    I've been in Tajikistan one year and while it's got stunning natural scenery the gov't leaves a lot to be desired. Also we share a long border with Afghanistan....

    That is surprising people are considering retiring here. It certainly is cheap and possible to have an easy life but kinda isolated. Not only it is far away but all flights depart and arrive in the middle of the night. Not the best way for a retiree to travel.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Michael W. McCord

    Its a great location! I like to hold on to this house as well. Maybe my daughter wants to go to utd in a few years….Right now my cash is stuck. If I don’t get a decent price will just do cash out refi. Wish I had your rate :).

    The pic is absolutely stunning, indeed! I listened to one of Doug Casey’s podcasts. He seemed bullish on the country. Your take is spot on!

    How often do you come home? Are you self managing the rental?

    Regards

    Shay

  • Rental Property Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 49 votes
    4y

    @Shay Ghafoor

    I have a property manager as I'm only in town about once a year. I'll reach out next time I'm home and we can meet up if you're in the area.

    Mickey

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.