Are there any forums/meetings in Chicago that I can attend?

Are there any forums/meetings in Chicago that I can attend?

Professional · Homewood, IL · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 0 votes
Are there any forums in Chicago that I can be apart of? Would love to get into the mix with other like minded individuals.
0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
11y

@Jerome Lanier I wouldn't call Elmhurst a South Suburb. That is more a western suburb. With that being said, I can NEVER recommend the Chicago REIA group. The founder has a youtube video where he literally brags that he makes more money selling programs about real estate than doing real estate. (Andrew Holmes)

As to groups in the area, there are a bunch, and you should attend most at least once. I did. And boy was it eye opening. They key is to realize they are all different. So going to one, doesn't mean all others are the same. While it is true that most tend to have a presenter that comes in just to sell you their program, i found a few that don't do that. (of course i liked those).

There is one called WCRT that meets at the same location (albeit for far longer) as the ChicagoREIA. They flat out don't allow sales from presenters. There are a few on Meetup.com, that were ok as well.

If you want, feel free to reach out to me and i will give my input on the clubs. Oh there is one I found on meetup that meets in Oak Brook, run by two guys, and after doing my research turns out the two guys seem to owe just about everyone money from a failed deal. I won't be returning to that group run by those con-artists again. I can't even remember the group name, just that their own personal company was named Matterhorn or something like that.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Park Forest, IL · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    There are a few different one in the Chicagoland area

    The only issue I had with these is they were all in the NW suburbs however today I found one for the South Suburbs.

    Using http://www.meetup.com also proved pretty helpful for me. I hope this helps. 

  • Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    I used Meetup as well, and have found some good groups.

    I really like the Southside Builders Association, and South Side Community Investors Association.  

    I am a Southsider, so I tend to focus on these groups.

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    I am attending southwest suburban landlord meetings in Berwyn. My first meeting was awesome and I got a reference to a great contractor. I highly recommend it if you are in the southwest burbs.

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
    11y

    @Jerome Lanier I wouldn't call Elmhurst a South Suburb. That is more a western suburb. With that being said, I can NEVER recommend the Chicago REIA group. The founder has a youtube video where he literally brags that he makes more money selling programs about real estate than doing real estate. (Andrew Holmes)

    As to groups in the area, there are a bunch, and you should attend most at least once. I did. And boy was it eye opening. They key is to realize they are all different. So going to one, doesn't mean all others are the same. While it is true that most tend to have a presenter that comes in just to sell you their program, i found a few that don't do that. (of course i liked those).

    There is one called WCRT that meets at the same location (albeit for far longer) as the ChicagoREIA. They flat out don't allow sales from presenters. There are a few on Meetup.com, that were ok as well.

    If you want, feel free to reach out to me and i will give my input on the clubs. Oh there is one I found on meetup that meets in Oak Brook, run by two guys, and after doing my research turns out the two guys seem to owe just about everyone money from a failed deal. I won't be returning to that group run by those con-artists again. I can't even remember the group name, just that their own personal company was named Matterhorn or something like that.

  • Michael BarbariPro Member
    Banker · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2014 · 396 posts · 107 votes
    11y

    I agree with @Dale Stevens

     WCRT is great. No sales. All investors like us who learn from each other. Many people even find deals there.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2011 · 345 posts · 120 votes
    11y

    I'm finally starting a Chicago South BP meet up! It will be in July-more details to come early next week. :)

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    @Renardon Calhoun

     I help run a event on the North Side of Chicago, which is nowhere close to you.  But our group was started because a lot of the groups were more about the organizer pitching their own objectives and making money.  The problem is you don't know if it is right for you until you go yourself.  So try some out and find one that you feel comfortable with.  

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2011 · 345 posts · 120 votes
    11y

    I finally got the first Chicago South Meetup booked. 7/28 in Orland Park. 

    Details here- 

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/207...

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    CAREIA (Chicago Real Estate Investors Association) in Lisle is a good one. They are a non profit REIA and there's no guru pitch.

    @Shelly Forte is organizing a BP Meetup although it's in the NW suburbs (very far from you).

    I also organize a Lender Meetup every third or fourth Wednesday of the month in Downers Grove. I get different types of lenders during these meetups.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 238 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @DaleStevens @MichaelBarbari   I'm glad to hear the positive feedback on WCRT.  I'm going to one of their events later this week.

    http://www.meetup.com/Gurnee-Cashflow-for-Real-Est...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.