* * Your New Year's Real Estate Goals for 2009 * *

* * Your New Year's Real Estate Goals for 2009 * *

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

2009 is here, and that means now is the time to get a year's worth of goals together. What are you hoping to accomplish this year?

Please share your real estate and investing goals for 2009 with all of us so we can help keep you accountable to them.

Happy 2009! :mrgreen:

0Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Certified Public Accountant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 279 posts · 151 votes
16y

How'd did everyone do on their 2009 goals? Here were my goals.

1. Keep my units fully occupied with good tenants.
2, Run my current properties efficiently and keep them in good condition.
3. Pay down as much on my mortgages and LOCs as possible. I would like to get at least one property paid off in the next couple years.

Results
Goal 1: This goal was pretty poor until May. I had one unit sit open for 5 months. After that, they were almost totally full. However, I had to drop rents this year due to the economy. Need to do better next year.
Goal 2: I think I did pretty good here. I do most of the maintenance myself and I did a few fixer upper projects.
Goal 3: I made some progress on my R/E debt. I was able to pay off about $20k on my properties/lines.

I'm disappointed in goal #1 for 2009. I want to really work on goal #3 and try to pay down about $50K in 2010 on my properties.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lincoln, NE · Member since 2008 · 249 posts · 46 votes
    17y

    How are the 2009 goals coming along everyone? Does anyone want to share acomplishments so far?
    I have purchased one more property and I'm renovating it now. I have 2 offers waiting for a response from the Banks (foreclosures) now.

  • Real Estate Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2009 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Cain Kiser:
    Since I just started out with investing and just closing on my first property on the 2nd of january Im going to keep my goals small so that I can get a feel for real estate investing.

    My goals are to:

    1. Keep the property rented
    2. Purchase at lease 1 more property during 2009


    I have already met mine. I have purchased 2 more properties and just got approved for a loan to buy my primary residence. Im going to live there for a minimun of 3 years so that I can take advantage of the tax credits. Then I will rent out this property since it is in a high rental area!
  • Real Estate Investor · Escondido, CA · Member since 2008 · 68 posts · 5 votes
    17y

    Well I am going to keep my goals simple.

    Wholesale my first property.

    I've got all kinds of ideas running around my head. I need to slow it down and work a business plan out piece by piece. I hope to accomplish this by doing a lot of reading here on the forums, and keeping my thoughts written down for reference.

  • Bailey, CO · Member since 2009 · 36 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Will be able to help people trying to have their own house, and more sales.

  • Certified Public Accountant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 279 posts · 151 votes
    17y

    I finally met one of my goals which was to keep my units fully occupied. I had one unit sit empty for 5 months while I waited for an acceptable tenant to apply. That was by far the longest I've ever had a unit sit open.

    Anyone else have similar experiences this winter? Things seem to have finally picked up again, but that was quite a dry spell.

  • Certified Public Accountant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 279 posts · 151 votes
    16y

    How'd did everyone do on their 2009 goals? Here were my goals.

    1. Keep my units fully occupied with good tenants.
    2, Run my current properties efficiently and keep them in good condition.
    3. Pay down as much on my mortgages and LOCs as possible. I would like to get at least one property paid off in the next couple years.

    Results
    Goal 1: This goal was pretty poor until May. I had one unit sit open for 5 months. After that, they were almost totally full. However, I had to drop rents this year due to the economy. Need to do better next year.
    Goal 2: I think I did pretty good here. I do most of the maintenance myself and I did a few fixer upper projects.
    Goal 3: I made some progress on my R/E debt. I was able to pay off about $20k on my properties/lines.

    I'm disappointed in goal #1 for 2009. I want to really work on goal #3 and try to pay down about $50K in 2010 on my properties.

  • Real Estate Investor · Orange Park, FL · Member since 2009 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    Someone should make a new sticky for 2010 :)

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    douglas, did you meet your goal for 2009?? we're both in charlotte..let's meet up sometime.

  • Real Estate Investor · Glendale, AZ · Member since 2009 · 134 posts · 5 votes
    16y

    Buy and resell 15 short sale properties and add 3 (paid off) rentals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.