Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 92 posts · 46 votes
4y
What tips are you needing? I had a property that was an hour from me. I hired a GC I knew and could trust and limited my trips to about once a week. I guess my tip would be to find a General Contractor who's work you have seen and who you can trust running the project on their own.
Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y
@Brian Wilson I assume you plan to self manage since you are asking about distance? If that is the case, I advise you have all of your ducks in a row and try to prevent as many situations from arising as possible. Like all buy and hold investments, ensure that the property is tenant proof to limit maintenance. If you're referring to analyzing a deal in a new market an hour away, speak with several property management companies and have them provide a CMA to verify market rents. Hope this helps!
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
4y
One hour is nothing. Are you looking to hold rentals or flip? If holding rentals, you just need someone a little closer for emergencies and then a set schedule for check-ups or rent collection if you don't have it automated. If to flip, you will need more eyes (or cameras) on-site more often most likely. I think a two-hour radius is pretty safe and a lot of times the set schedule to go see the property helps you learn more and find more deals to cluster against your first one.
Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y
@Brian Wilson 1 hr. drive is exactly my personal limit. My advice is make sure there is a hardware store nearby! Being within a mile or two/ quick drive to a place to get supplies became one of my criteria quickly because I typically go to the property to assess a situation, then to the hardware store, then back to the property and it can add a lot of time if they’re far apart. Also make sure there is at least one decent management company that services the area in case you end up scaling up such that it becomes unfeasible to self manage anymore, move out of the area, etc.