Where to park savings?

Where to park savings?

Dallas Tx · Member since 2021 · 112 posts · 31 votes

Hey guys, so I'm saving to invest in my first home here in the next 10 months, I was thinking putting my savings in the bank doesn't do me any good, maybe for liquidity and stability

However 10 months is a while and so I was wondering.

Where do you guys park your savings?

Cd?

Bank?

Index funds ?

Thanks in advance

0Reply
110 views

Most Popular Reply

Dearborn, MI · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 41 votes
4y

Hate to say it because i'm in the same position, but the right answer would be in a high yield savings account. HYS are probably around 1% if you're lucky. Since you need your money in ten months, think of inflation as your cost of safety. Inflation is what it's costing you to keep your money safe.

The worst thing that could happen would be to invest in index funds and they end up dropping more than inflation will be over those ten months period, which is a real likely possibility. ( not predicting the market will go down, but its very possible!

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    4y

    I put my savings in nnn properties. 
    here is why;

    Returns of 6-8 percent

    Control Of property 

    Depreciation Benefits

    Hedge against inflation

    Forced appreciation through rent increases and tenants paying down loan


    Fairly passive

  • Seth RouchPro Member
    Specialist · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 85 posts · 29 votes
    4y

    @Juan Campos this is a great question. I’ve found that a money market account works decently for temporary or short term holding. Also find someone to lend it out to. I know I’m personally always looking for small amount lenders for the rehab costs for example. There’s bound to be someone you can find to lend it out for a 6-9 month period as a second on a promissory note etc. Best of luck in your adventures!

  • Dallas Tx · Member since 2021 · 112 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    @Tony Antonelli thanks I use nexo and get 12% atm on my stablecoins but cashing out is a pain and fees kill my gains

  • Dallas Tx · Member since 2021 · 112 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    @John Mckee nnn properties?

  • Dallas Tx · Member since 2021 · 112 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    @Seth Rouch thank you Seth!

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    4y

    NNN properties are real estate investments where you buy the property that already has a tenant in place. That tenant will pay you NNN (which is taxes, maintenance, and insurance costs). This is an addition to the rents.

    P.S. where do you cash out your gains of stablecoins?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Just hold on until you use it to buy a property. Buy ASAP.

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    4y

    For mor significant amounts (+ $100k) I know that both BP members and contributors, Brian Burke (Praxis Capital) and Dave Van Horn (PPR Notes) have note funds that pay 6-10% depending on your time frame. You can hold for as little as 6 months. Most of our projects will take most of that time and we can borrow from other lines of credit if need be until the fund matures. 

    I’ve found that for smaller amounts it doesn’t really matter.  Once we get into a deal it more than makes up for a bit of lost interest.  

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Juan Campos:

    Hey guys, so I'm saving to invest in my first home here in the next 10 months, I was thinking putting my savings in the bank doesn't do me any good, maybe for liquidity and stability

    However 10 months is a while and so I was wondering.

    Where do you guys park your savings?

    Cd?

    Bank?

    Index funds ?

    Thanks in advance


     as  you have a  definite  use  in the  near future for these  funds -  you will want to  keep them  safe and  liquid  ....don't  look to find the  highest  return if this has a chance to  decrease your  asset amount  .... in months  you wont be looking at  much   growth  at all   if you want to keep it safe  

  • Lender · Orlando · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I agree with whats been said. When saving stategically on a fixed income, having money in an investment account can lengthen the time to save if you experience losses.

    Also, some lenders may want to see that money seasoned in a non-investment account when considering DTI.

  • Novato, CA · Member since 2013 · 52 posts · 28 votes
    4y

    @Juan Campos Just sent you a pm 

  • Member since 2021 · 388 posts · 277 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Juan Campos:

    @Scott Johnson and how would you make your money grow ? Thanks in advance


    he  was probably thinking trees. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.