Looking for Live-In-Then-Rent in Tampa

Looking for Live-In-Then-Rent in Tampa

New to Real Estate · Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 1 vote

I just hit a year of living at my first home in Westchase. It is a 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 office could turn bed, 1 garage space condo. I am 25 and my personal plan was to purchase a new property every 2 years and rent out the previous in hopes of having a small amount of cash flow to pay off the difference in mortgage of my next home. I could rent out my current place for roughly $400/month cashflow and I can put that straight into my next house mortgage, moving from roughly a 300k house to a 400k. I could keep compounding this to live in a 500 to 600 etc..

My first house was move in ready and I did really enjoy that convenience but am not afraid to get my hands dirty.

I am a big fan of Westchase and would find it tough to leave the neighborhood based on school zone, type of neighbors/homes, and still located within 30 min of DT Tampa and DTSP.

I wouldn’t say I am a real estate investor yet, but I am very money conscious. Are there better investment moves I should look into in the Tampa Bay Area? My plan was to buy and hold early and often (at 5-10% down each time). Are there other areas within Tampa/St Pete that I can expect similar neighborhood qualities and appreciation in my home that I could be looking?

I know there are townhomes just down the road in my price range, so I guess I am looking for flaws in my plan. Fire away, but also take it easy on my first post!

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Josh GreenBusiness Member
Realtor · Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater/Bradenton · Member since 2020 · 396 posts · 353 votes
4y

Hey Andrew, love this plan.  I'm all about house-hacking and building wealth through consistent, 'dollar-cost average' purchasing of property.  With that, I got a ton of great info and advice for you.  I'm a local investor and realtor and moved here from SLC Utah actually because there is so much opportunity (plus, the weather and amenities of course!).  If you're looking to buy/sell and need a realtor that can do that PLUS help by being a consultant in that way, don't hesitate to reach out and we can jump on a call!

Impact Realty Tampa Bay.4.962 Reviews
Suncoast Vacation Homes4.959 Reviews
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Josh GreenBusiness Member
    Realtor · Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater/Bradenton · Member since 2020 · 396 posts · 353 votes
    4y

    Hey Andrew, love this plan.  I'm all about house-hacking and building wealth through consistent, 'dollar-cost average' purchasing of property.  With that, I got a ton of great info and advice for you.  I'm a local investor and realtor and moved here from SLC Utah actually because there is so much opportunity (plus, the weather and amenities of course!).  If you're looking to buy/sell and need a realtor that can do that PLUS help by being a consultant in that way, don't hesitate to reach out and we can jump on a call!

    Impact Realty Tampa Bay.4.962 Reviews
    Suncoast Vacation Homes4.959 Reviews
    View Page
  • Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 739 posts · 410 votes
    4y

    Hi @Andrew Hill, (great name by the way) is there a reason that you want to wait two years rather than one? You can put 5% down every year when you change primaries.

  • New to Real Estate · Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

    Hi @Andrew Hill, (great name by the way) is there a reason that you want to wait two years rather than one? You can put 5% down every year when you change primaries.


     Yes, this is so if I decide to sell the house for an unforeseen reason I will not be taxed with capital gains on the profit of the house. If you follow the 2-out-of-five-year rule, you should be able to avoid this. It also gives me some more time to save up some money and get to know the Tampa market better!

  • Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 739 posts · 410 votes
    4y

    @Andrew Hill I see. That makes complete sense. Your strategy is sound my friend!

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 422 posts · 210 votes
    4y

    Hey Andrew! I'm also in Westchase. I'd love to connect. I like your plan! And yes Westchase is awesome!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.