New out of state investor - lessons learned so far

New out of state investor - lessons learned so far

Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2012 · 14 posts · 2 votes

Thought I would share lessons learned so far for those who are just starting out and looking to invest out of state because their local market is too expensive. I am just back from a weekend trip looking at both turnkey and retail properties and have some homework from lessons learned! Would love to hear yours as well! (eta - I'm sure some of these are obvious - I'm realizing now how clueless I am and am going to use resources to get smarter!)

1. Learn something about houses. I walk into a house and there is so much I don't see about it! Luckily I was with a great realtor who also buys investment properties, and she was able to point out a lot of things that would be problems from a maintenance / tenant happiness perspective. I was looking at things like, "oh it has nice light and the bedroom is a nice size" while she was actually noticing the water marks on the ceiling. (I'm exaggerating, but still, I really need to work on my investor vision!)

2. "Walking down the street" on google maps is actually pretty useful. I wanted to see neighborhoods in person, and I'm really glad I did, I have a much better sense of the market now, but it was great how closely a google walk down the street matched what I saw. You can actually get a pretty good sense of what kind of neighborhood it is from the lawns, cars, houses on the street in the satellite view.

3. Turnkey seems to really be a great way to go if you are out of state. There were some good retail properties - one of which unfortunately accepted an offer just before mine went in - but even the good ones had a lot of little things to fix that would be hard to do from out of state, unless you have a team in place who can paint, fix minor things, etc.

4. There's a lot you can learn about the neighborhoods by "asking the internets". There are so many forums where people will give all sorts of info about the neighborhood and you'll be able to see a consensus as to what the crowd thinks if it is declining or stable or increasing. This was really helpful in narrowing down neighborhoods to consider.

5. I'm way more clueless than I realized. I own a rental house now (in another state) and have a lot of knowledge about finance, but not knowing much about houses is going to be a detriment. While an inspection could catch major problems, it's a waste of time and money to put offers in and then realize during inspection it's not a good house to buy. Another reason for me to do turnkey until I get smarter about houses. Also now planning to have an actual inspection expert go look at my current rental property and make sure there aren't any glaring things that need to be addressed.

It's a bit more stressful than I thought, but still what I want to do, so I'll keep looking till I have those 4 properties!

2Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

Woot wooooot! Super cool breakdown for people to check out. Thanks for sharing! :)

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Lillian Mitchell , thank you for the update, my goal is to buy a rental out of state come spring when my current flip property should sale. I keep up on the out of state properties by using the key word alert "turnkey" I have lots of hits every day. Feel free to run potential deals past the forums here, some reviews are great, some not, but most are thought provoking which is good. I would love it if you at least say what state or city you are looking in and if you use a turnkey outfit or buy from MLS.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Woot wooooot! Super cool breakdown for people to check out. Thanks for sharing! :)

  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2012 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Jerry W. - I was in Houston. Company was Texas Turnkey. I also looked on the MLS but the property I wanted to make an offer old sold before I could get the offer in! They probably had an offer when we viewed it on Sunday but we didn't know.

    Will keep you posted on how it goes!

  • Investor · Bethel, AK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    12y

    Lilian

    Patience. It takes time to find the right property, but even more time to find the right agent, right repairman/company, even the right loan officer. It also takes time to learn what you are looking for. You are right its a different point of view. I compare it to cars. The rental property is like a work truck. you look for dependability as well as good looks. It must be durable, and in good shape. The numbers become all important.

    The average person looks at a house as a home. lots different. While it must be durable and also look good, things like lighting, interior decorating, floor plan become more important in the house you are buying for your self. Remember your looking for a rental. Keep reading Bigger pockets, and don't get too frustrated you are on the right track!

    Ralph Ramey

  • Residential Landlord · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2013 · 49 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Lillian Mitchell : Wow, wow, wow thanks so much for this great update, super helpful. I am hoping to invest out of state as well and like you also have a current rental house out of state. Great tip about partnering with a RE Agent who will look at the house like a renter, cannot believe I did not think of that. Also, one of things I worry about is trusting a property manager because I have heard horror stories. While I manage my out of state house, what has worked well for me is having family go by to check on the people I have doing work. So my plan is to use family to check on the people I hire. This way I am not hiring family, but do have a quality control in place. Good luck, thanks again and keep us posted!

  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2012 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Ralph R. - yes I so need to work on my patience! I think part of it is reading everyone's stories here and being like "I want that!" ha. but bit by bit, it'll come together. And how fun it will be to look back on my baby investor stages and laugh at myself!

    @John Cummings - oh do I hear you on property manager horror stories. Been there and not looking to return! I don't even want to look in markets where I can't be assured of a good PM. Would love to hear about your journey as well since it sounds like we are in a very similar place!

    My quick update - after a lengthy email discussion about the contract/documents, got them signed tonight, faxing back tomorrow, so if all goes according to plan, will have another property pretty soon!

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Lillian, thanks for sharing. You have brought up some very good tips and things I do even here in my own market. I love Google Maps Street View, and it has saved me from taking trips to nearby towns...sometimes I can see all I need to know right from my chair. Your first point is a great one as well, but that will come with experience. As long as you know what your weaknesses are you will be fine. Good luck!

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Lillian Mitchell sounds like your "field trip" was more valuable than the field trips you used to have in school days as you learned a LOT! Definitely consider networking with other investors on Bigger Pockets that have invested out of state to see what they thought were positives/negatives.

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 48 posts · 14 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Ali Boone:
    Woot wooooot! Super cool breakdown for people to check out. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Ali,

    you always have such nice comments for everyone. It shows that you are a great, quality person. BP is lucky to have you as a valued member....

  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2012 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @James Vermillion and @Dawn Anastasi - thank you so much for the supportive and encouraging comments. Means a lot coming from experienced people like you. I will definitely keep working on my weaknesses and improving my knowledge.

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    12y

    Thanks for taking the time to write this, from another person looking out of state. The Google map idea sounds excellent. I imagine there is a full spectrum of just how rehabbed a "turnkey" property really is. I'm glad you found a acceptable property, it would really be a bummer to spend all the time/money/effort to go look and decide nothing worked, hard to maintain your patience in that situation.

  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2012 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Hi all, just thought I would update with how things went...

    As mentioned earlier, I signed the contract to purchase on the 10/31/2013 with an estimated close date of 12/12/2013. The property actually closed on 2/12/2014 - two months late. There were multiple delays - with the turnkey operator completing their purchase of the house, then the rehab, then a tenant being placed. This was a bit annoying but not too much as the turnkey operator stayed in good communication, so expectations, while needing to be revised often, were basically met. So far, the tenant has paid on time and the property manager has been very responsive to my questions.

    Would do business with this turnkey operator again, and I'm very, very ready to buy another property, but unfortunately, despite multiple requests, I have not heard of any other properties this seller has on offer. The promoters suggested that after closing, more deals would come my way, but it's been a month and still have yet to hear anything, so I can only guess that the deals are going to more "favored" clients, maybe cash buyers or volume buyers or old college buddies, I don't know.

    A note on financing in case anyone is interested - I financed with aimloan.com as an investor with 20% down. I lucked into a great loan processor (I've heard they are hit and miss there) and the experience was easy as could be, and rates were very good. Would definitely work with them again.

    Good luck to all my fellow out of state investors! Hope 2014 is off to a great start!

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Lillian Mitchell:

    A note on financing in case anyone is interested - I financed with aimloan.com as an investor with 20% down. I lucked into a great loan processor (I've heard they are hit and miss there) and the experience was easy as could be, and rates were very good. Would definitely work with them again.

    I've worked with Aimloan 3 times and I have to say that the rates were good.

  • Specialist · Orange County, CA · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 623 votes
    12y

    @Lillian Mitchell: Glad to hear it went well for you.

    Inventory there has become tighter, however, we are still getting a decent amount of properties every month so either be patient, look for another provider, or change your market.

    Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.