How to get financing for a property without a steady income?

How to get financing for a property without a steady income?

New to Real Estate · Naperville, IL · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 9 votes

Hello, 

I am a student at The Ohio State University, and my goal is to house hack a property in Columbus, OH in 2024 in order to begin my journey in real estate investing and save money on housing while in college. Can anyone chime in with advice/knowledge on the process of acquiring financing for a property? I will be a student without a full-time job or steady income when I plan to purchase my property. How will this affect my ability to get a loan?

Any information shared would be much appreciated!

3Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Remington LymanBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
4y
Quote from @Alauren Lane:

Hello, 

I am a student at The Ohio State University, and my goal is to house hack a property in Columbus, OH in 2024 in order to begin my journey in real estate investing and save money on housing while in college. Can anyone chime in with advice/knowledge on the process of acquiring financing for a property? I will be a student without a full-time job or steady income when I plan to purchase my property. How will this affect my ability to get a loan?

Any information shared would be much appreciated!


 You should just start cold calling. Then if you find a deal you can partner with someone that is lendable. I did that when I first got into real estate here in Columbus, Ohio

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 214 votes
    4y

    Hi Alauren. If you’ve been working for 2 years at the same part time job your monthly income will be whatever you made over the last 2 years divided by 12. Your best bet is to find a family member with good income and credit to become the co-borrower. Depending on if you have a lot of student loans, that may not be feasible. If you’re really serious about real estate look for a mentor. Even if you can’t buy now, at least you’ll have a path to get started sooner than later. Good luck with everything! 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Hard money or DSCR financing

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Alauren Lane:

    Hello, 

    I am a student at The Ohio State University, and my goal is to house hack a property in Columbus, OH in 2024 in order to begin my journey in real estate investing and save money on housing while in college. Can anyone chime in with advice/knowledge on the process of acquiring financing for a property? I will be a student without a full-time job or steady income when I plan to purchase my property. How will this affect my ability to get a loan?

    Any information shared would be much appreciated!


     You should just start cold calling. Then if you find a deal you can partner with someone that is lendable. I did that when I first got into real estate here in Columbus, Ohio

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Alauren Lane:

    Hello, 

    I am a student at The Ohio State University, and my goal is to house hack a property in Columbus, OH in 2024 in order to begin my journey in real estate investing and save money on housing while in college. Can anyone chime in with advice/knowledge on the process of acquiring financing for a property? I will be a student without a full-time job or steady income when I plan to purchase my property. How will this affect my ability to get a loan?

    Any information shared would be much appreciated!


     Why would you want to risk buying a property with no full time job? If you were to default and lose that home it would basically bar you from buying another property for years. There is a reason why they have debt to income ratios etc. Its meant to protect people. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Alauren Lane:

    Hello, 

    I am a student at The Ohio State University, and my goal is to house hack a property in Columbus, OH in 2024 in order to begin my journey in real estate investing and save money on housing while in college. Can anyone chime in with advice/knowledge on the process of acquiring financing for a property? I will be a student without a full-time job or steady income when I plan to purchase my property. How will this affect my ability to get a loan?

    Any information shared would be much appreciated!


     Why would you want to risk buying a property with no full time job? If you were to default and lose that home it would basically bar you from buying another property for years. There is a reason why they have debt to income ratios etc. Its meant to protect people. 


    I think Chris is the only person in this thread who actually read the original post.

    I echo what he has said. Don't buy a property. You're not ready. Focus on school and learn more about real estate during your down time. Down the road once you have at least some steady stream of income(and savings for down payment/closing costs) then you can start looking at your first house hack.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Alauren Lane:

    Hello, 

    I am a student at The Ohio State University, and my goal is to house hack a property in Columbus, OH in 2024 in order to begin my journey in real estate investing and save money on housing while in college. Can anyone chime in with advice/knowledge on the process of acquiring financing for a property? I will be a student without a full-time job or steady income when I plan to purchase my property. How will this affect my ability to get a loan?

    Any information shared would be much appreciated!


     If I were you I would be going to as many networking events and cold calling. Look into doing a hard money loan, if plan on getting a job so you can refinance out of it. Make sure you run your numbers on that as well though. I would look into what the numbers would be with a partnership? Know first what you could offer in the partnership and what you need in a partnership. 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Alauren Lane if you're on BP now, you're already ahead of the game!  Here are some things to consider:

    -When you graduate get a full time W2

    -Rent for a short period, reduce your expenses, and build your credit

    -Go to REIAs and network

    -House hack as soon as you're ready (in other words, adequately capitalized!)

  • Lender · Farmington, CT · Member since 2015 · 542 posts · 321 votes
    4y

    @Alauren Lane

    congrats on looking forward to getting into real estate investing. i wish i started as young as you are. hard money is your best bet if you do not have private lenders. i started with hard money and it was huge for me. really allowed me to scale. happy to share my experiences and contacts if it would help

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.