Should real estate investors get their license?

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Morristown, NJ · Member since 2022 · 153 posts · 71 votes
4y

Hi @Serge DuLaudAllemans, I think it really depends on the situation. However, there seems to be a lot more pros than cons to it. I personally do not have it because I am a mortgage lender and have realtor partners that I work with. 

If you had the time and money to get it done I don't think you would be unhappy that you did so. Even just having that extra access to the MLS could be worth it. You'll also be able to go see any house on your own time and won't have to worry about someone showing it to you. Finally you'll save money on each transaction.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · USA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 751 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Serge DuLaudAllemans:

    Is the time worth getting a real estate license worth the benefits? Do most of you investors have one?


    I think it depends on the volume of transactions you want to do and the type of investing. If you are a 5 deal a month wholesaler, than yes. Especially in states that require it to do wholesaling. Like Illinois.  

    If you are a one every 2 year buy rent and hold investor, than no. 

  • Lender · Morristown, NJ · Member since 2022 · 153 posts · 71 votes
    4y

    Hi @Serge DuLaudAllemans, I think it really depends on the situation. However, there seems to be a lot more pros than cons to it. I personally do not have it because I am a mortgage lender and have realtor partners that I work with. 

    If you had the time and money to get it done I don't think you would be unhappy that you did so. Even just having that extra access to the MLS could be worth it. You'll also be able to go see any house on your own time and won't have to worry about someone showing it to you. Finally you'll save money on each transaction.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Do a search, this is asked every single day.

    Basic answer is NO.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Frank Avallone II:

    Hi @Serge DuLaudAllemans, I think it really depends on the situation. However, there seems to be a lot more pros than cons to it. I personally do not have it because I am a mortgage lender and have realtor partners that I work with. 

    If you had the time and money to get it done I don't think you would be unhappy that you did so. Even just having that extra access to the MLS could be worth it. You'll also be able to go see any house on your own time and won't have to worry about someone showing it to you. Finally you'll save money on each transaction.

    There are really more cons than pros. 1) Even just to get MLS access, they' need to hang their license with a Broker, and take on all the expenses related to RE. Thousands I think.2)  Any Sellers Agent will show you any house any time also. 3) You don't necessarily save money on every transaction, I just would tell the seller I'm not using a Buyers Agent and insist they take the 3% savings off the price.

    BTW, I had a RE License briefly. Waste of time for the average investor. IMHO.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    Buyer's Agent commissions are paid by the Seller. I assume you will be buying, so it won't save you any money to have a license.

    Even as a Seller, having a license could save you money but at what cost? You won't know the market as well. You don't have the same negotiation skills. You're not an objectionable third party.

    Having the best pipe wrench in the world won't make you a skilled plumber. Having a real estate license won't make you a good sales agent. Hire the professional and pay them for what they're worth.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Serge DuLaudAllemans

    The benefits of a real estate license are unquestionable. The advantages are well worth the time, effort, and money it would cost to obtain it. Few strategies, for that matter, can offer investors more leverage in growing their business. That said, the benefits of a real estate license are not something you can ignore; you have to acknowledge them if you want to try and realize your full potential.

    Here are the five irrefutable benefits of a real estate license investors shouldn’t go without:

    1. You can earn extra income.
    2. You’ll gain access to more deals.
    3. Your contact network will expand.
    4. Your business knowledge will increase.
    5. You can earn commissions.

    Read this article for more information https://www.fortunebuilders.co...

    Good Luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.