College offering RE license and/or Brokers license

College offering RE license and/or Brokers license

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello everyone!

My name is Mateo and I am currently a college student studying real estate. My school is offering, with my degree, a real estate license when I graduate this spring. However, I discovered that if I take one extra semester I will be able to take a broker's exam without doing the 2+ years of experience as a salesperson. 

I just wanted to ask the community what they think/ what kind of leverage I would have as a new kid on the block. I am still trying to find what I want to do specifically in the world of real estate but I know I definitely want to do RE investments in the future.


Thank you!

0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeff CopelandBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    A bunch of people will probably chime in here and say you don't need your real estate license and it's a waste of time. 

    I wholeheartedly disagree. Especially in your situation. You don't know exactly where you'll end up in real estate. 

    Having your real estate agent's license opens up dozens of doors and potential revenue streams for you that would not be there otherwise. There's absolutely no reason not to do it. 

    I'm less bullish on the extra semester for eligibility to take the broker's exam. Not that it's a bad idea, and on the one hand it could certainly make things' easier later on. 

    But you really have no need to be a broker (and no business being one) without a few years of experience under your belt anyway. So you could take it or leave it, and it depends on what you'd be doing otherwise.

    Personally, I'd rather take a post graduation summer trip or something and then deal with the broker's license later on. 

    Two years sounds like a long time now. It's not. 

    Copeland Morgan LLC4.770 Reviews
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I agree with Jeff, sort of. 

    The extra time to get your Broker's is worth it, but I would not step out on your own as a beginner. You should work under a Broker for a while so you're supervised. After you have your feet under you, then you can break out on your own.

    The reason the Broker's is worth it? You can still be an Associate Broker and most Brokerages will offer a higher commission split.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.