How would I bring value to other investors when just starting?

How would I bring value to other investors when just starting?

Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hey all!

For context I have read and seen on YouTube that providing value to others is a great way to start building a network and growing with people along the way.

Being told to provide value is all well and good but I could never find anything about the how to provide value only people saying “provide value”.

As an experienced investor I can see providing value being easy through knowledge, experience, do’s and don’ts but how could I provide anything of value to realtors, project managers, etc without any real knowledge and experience?

Any help on the subject would be appreciated!

0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Malcolm James:

I think you're approaching the problem backwards. You should determine the needs first, then figure out how to fulfill them. Attend meetings, network with like-minded people, find out what they need, figure out how to meet their need.

Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 52 votes
    3y

    Hi Malcom, 

    What are you currently doing for a W-2. does that in any way help someone in the real estate space? Are you good at marketing, can you sell? Providing value for many of the bigger investors comes with helping them enhance their business, and you'll many times come in as essentially an apprentice! 

    Hope this helps! 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Malcolm James:

    I think you're approaching the problem backwards. You should determine the needs first, then figure out how to fulfill them. Attend meetings, network with like-minded people, find out what they need, figure out how to meet their need.

    Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Taking the time to truly learn. Don't come asking questions you can easily look up on google. 

    Offer to manage projects and bird dog for deals

  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    The whole "provide value" language is thrown around a lot but it's bad advice for the exact reason you've described. As a brand new aspiring investor, there is no value you can offer to more experienced investors.

    In the real world, most experienced investors don't need a newbies "value" because no matter what "value" you think you can bring, you'll just be getting in the way more than you'll be helping them and their business.

    If you're brand new, don't get hung up on latching onto a more experienced investor right now. Focus on building your network, building a team, establishing some goals, and getting educated.

    Once you get a base foundation of education, the best way to provide value to another investor is by bringing them deals, or bringing them capital to fund their deals.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Malcolm James

    @Scott E. hit the nail on the head. You need to continue to self-educate, grow your network, and learn a skill within real estate (lending, deals, trade, property management, etc) so you can truly provide value to others. When you're a newbie the only thing you can really offer is sweat equity or work as an employee in a real estate profession to cultivate your skill. That would be a good way to get started.

  • John WilliamsBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2018 · 443 posts · 210 votes
    3y

    The best way to "provide value" is play to your strengths and passions. First, do a self-assessment. What are you really good at? What are you really passionate about? Once you've determined that, it will be a bit more clear to you. Depending on where you want to take your investing career, your next step will be to align yourself and connect with the folks in that space. Try to determine their needs. Then, knowing your strengths and passions, you can offer to serve them in the most effective and efficient way possible. 

    Rent My Home - Property Management4.8209 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    @Nathan G.

    Thanks for the great idea!

    I was looking at it before as you needed to have value to provide value to others, but meeting and talking with people then providing assistance when a need arises is a better way to look at it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2022 · 32 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Malcolm James

    I struggle with the same thing.  I am a new agent pitching deals to investors, who have years in the game, all while trying to grasp the concept of everything (I mean everything, I worked in Supply Chain before). I have had investors laugh at me after they asked about my experience and leave meetings. On the other hand, I have had investors sit down with me and explain deals.  I think some forgot that they were once new to this game as well.  

    What helps me is, I ask a lot of questions ( even if they are found on google) because every investor looks at the same deal differently. Just asking one question can start a conversation, which could grow into relationship/mentorship. I have walked into Networking meetups saying, "I'm new, how did you get started? How did you overcome said obstacle? How do you find deals?"  If the investor blows me off because I'm new then that's not someone I want to work with.  

    The biggest thing is just get out there, get comfortable with being uncomfortable.  Your value is you!

    Also, I have learned a lot from the posts on bigger pockets.  The men and women on here have a lot of knowledge.  

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I second a lot of the thoughts here. I don't need some newbie to bring me value. I'd rather just hire someone that has experience. Otherwise, I either take advantage of you by accepting free labor or pay you to do something that you've never done. Both of those are bad ideas. 

    The "you can't steer a parked car" is helpful here too. Work your a$$ off in the context or proximity of successful people. Someone with success will notice. There's nothing more rewarding than helping out a young man or woman that is giving it all he/she has. There's also nothing more frustrating than trying to help a young man or woman that is lazy.

    I've got nothing to sell and would love to help in any way that you think I could. I had some older fellas mentor the mess out of me when I was in my 20s and don't mind paying that forward if I can. Send me a DM if you think it'd be worthwhile.

  • Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    @Tyler Mutch

    Reading your reply and others my value that I can really provide to start would be sweat equity like being an apprentice to an experienced investor.

    Thanks for the help!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    @Malcolm James check for local RE Meetups and attend.

    You'll be trading your time for access to their expertise:)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.