The time is now! next steps?

The time is now! next steps?

Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 10 votes

Hello everyone! First time poster here. Im a stuntman in the film and television industry living in both atlanta and los angeles. I just finished how to invest in real estate in 2 days and Im really looking to take the next steps in acquiring a property. What interested me the most was a STR, but after hearing about some of the recent hardships as well as competition at the moment, I thought maybe I should wait on that. My fiancé is from puerto rico and I thought about purchasing a place there to use as a STR as well as a place for us to be when im not working. I work in film and if im not shooting it would be nice to block out the days im off and just be there. I have about 60K cash saved, but unfortunately as far as I know because of the nature of my work being self employed, ill have to fork over 20 percent so that really limits me a bit until I have more saved. My other interest in the genres of real estate are single family home, for me to probably house hack in the atlanta area, Brrrr rental, or a potential flip. My question is, where do I go from here? I got a good broad strokes idea of things from the book, but what would you guys suggest from here? Do I just start shopping and using the calculators here to find a good deal? are there any other educational avenues I should pursue before I start looking to get a place? Im definitely a more hands on person. If I start reading too much ill get analysis paralysis. If you were me with 60k what would you do? Looking forward to being a part of the community.

3Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
3y

@Caleb Spillyards

I was in a similar boat as you a few years ago. So many methods, each one cool in their own right. I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to turn. 

I turned to out of state investing because I could get significantly better COC returns and cash flow for my money. I've now gotten multiple properties for the price of 1 in my market.

@Zach Lemaster and his team is regularly putting these together and have helped me get my investing journey started. Check them out and see if they can help you. 

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Caleb Spillyards:

    Hello everyone! First time poster here. Im a stuntman in the film and television industry living in both atlanta and los angeles. I just finished how to invest in real estate in 2 days and Im really looking to take the next steps in acquiring a property. What interested me the most was a STR, but after hearing about some of the recent hardships as well as competition at the moment, I thought maybe I should wait on that. My fiancé is from puerto rico and I thought about purchasing a place there to use as a STR as well as a place for us to be when im not working. I work in film and if im not shooting it would be nice to block out the days im off and just be there. I have about 60K cash saved, but unfortunately as far as I know because of the nature of my work being self employed, ill have to fork over 20 percent so that really limits me a bit until I have more saved. My other interest in the genres of real estate are single family home, for me to probably house hack in the atlanta area, Brrrr rental, or a potential flip. My question is, where do I go from here? I got a good broad strokes idea of things from the book, but what would you guys suggest from here? Do I just start shopping and using the calculators here to find a good deal? are there any other educational avenues I should pursue before I start looking to get a place? Im definitely a more hands on person. If I start reading too much ill get analysis paralysis. If you were me with 60k what would you do? Looking forward to being a part of the community.


     Definitely househack.  Reduce living expenses and build your foundation. You want a place that will be a good rental when you move out/up in a couple years.  Then repeat.

    Welcome! Cool to have a stunt person on here. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Caleb Spillyards:

    It's hard to say where to start without knowing your market. If you are in the film industry, you are probably in an expensive market and $60k won't get you very far. As Steve said, a fourplex may be the best option. Live in one unit, rent the other three out. If zoning/laws permit, you can rent the units out as short-term, allowing you to even rent out your unit when you aren't home. This would likely maximize your return.

    You can do the same even with a single-family home. Get a five-bedroom home, rent out individual rooms, and you'll get a better return than if you were to rent the entire house to one family.

    After one year, you can do the same on a different property.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Caleb Spillyards:

    It's hard to say where to start without knowing your market. If you are in the film industry, you are probably in an expensive market and $60k won't get you very far. As Steve said, a fourplex may be the best option. Live in one unit, rent the other three out. If zoning/laws permit, you can rent the units out as short-term, allowing you to even rent out your unit when you aren't home. This would likely maximize your return.

    You can do the same even with a single-family home. Get a five-bedroom home, rent out individual rooms, and you'll get a better return than if you were to rent the entire house to one family.

    After one year, you can do the same on a different property.


     Im in-between atlanta and los angeles but mostly Atlanta.   I definitely wouldn't look to buy in LA right now because the price for admission is too high for me right now haha.  I was perusing atlanta, nashville, chattanooga, north little rock (where my family is from).  places like that.  I make around 200-240 a year so I can save more, just looking to get the ball rolling.  How to invest in real estate is a great starter book but doesn't really go over things like how much cashflow is good, how much is too little, and what numbers to look for on the BP calculator.  what are your thoughts on those metrics?  does it come down to individual as long as your are in the positive?

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Steve Vaughan:

    for sure! I definitely like the idea of house hacking although finding a duplex that I want to live in might be a challenge. Ive been renting a room from a buddy when I work in atlanta so I could potentially do that, buy a house and rent a room to a colleague or other people in the film industry. potentially someone not connected to film/colleague but Id have to make sure my significant other is down with that. duplex is easier in that sense because of the separation. I have a great income so maybe I could just save more. Im just anxious to get started. Ill also look and see if I for sure CANT get an FHA type loan but last I talked to a lender they said because of my line of work id have to go the 20% down road. thanks for replying!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 25 votes
    3y

    I would join every wholesalers list in the areas you want to invest, so you start getting deals sent your way. Most will be mediocre but some good deals will eventually get sent to you. I would also talk with some hard money companies and figure out what their lending criteria is, and then find deals that meet their criteria so you don't have to sink all of your own capital into the deal you find.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 683 posts · 317 votes
    3y

    Hey , i will suggest you to talk to a lender and reverse engineer to figure out that budget you are working with. Then research on areas that allows your to find property within that price range at the same time saving more money! Good lock. Back couple yrs ago i was able to get property around 150K in Atlanta suburbs. Not sure if we can go back to those time but i think there’s always opportunities. Welcome to the community. 

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 591 posts · 695 votes
    3y

    @Caleb Spillyards I'd suggest first zeroing in on the strategy you're pursuing--you mentioned numerous strategies that are all quite different. You are right to be wary of STRs right now (there are plenty of articles/forum posts etc. describing the risks of STRs).

    I would also say that BRRR'ing and flipping are very risky and difficult at the moment (even for experienced pros). Plus, BRRR'ing and flipping are relatively advanced strategies, and you mentioned that you're a beginner--so, they don't really match your experience level... I always make the analogy that trying to BRRR with no prior REI experience is a bit like trying to surf a 50 foot wave with no surfing experience--the chances of success are slim, and there are MUCH better, lower risk ways to learn to surf--similarly, there are much better ways to learn real estate investing.

    In my opinion, house hacking (a single fam or small multifam) is the single best way for people to get started in real estate investing.

    Why? Because, house hacking can produce great financial returns, it teaches you essential RE investing skills, but (compared to more advanced strategies like BRRR'ing or wholesaling), it is comparatively lower risk, simple and beginner-friendly (and therefore has the highest likelihood of success).

    More specifically:

    1. A HH can produce great financial returns. A HH can substantially lower your living expenses, while creating cashflow, appreciation, mortgage pay down, and tax benefits. A HH can also involve opportunities to force appreciation and/or rent (e.g.; by adding an extra bedroom in a previously under-utilized space). When executed correctly and repeatedly, house hacking can be very lucrative, and there are multi-millionaires who built their fortunes on repetitive house hacking! Although it's a strategy that's good for beginners, there are plenty of very experienced RE investors who continue to HH, because it's such a powerful strategy.

    2. A house hack will teach you the essential skills you'll need to succeed in RE investing. With a HH, you can learn how to analyze properties & markets, how to find an investor-friendly agent, how to spot value-add opportunities at properties, how to engage in a strong due diligence process, how to screen tenants, how to manage the property, how to build a network of contractors, plumbers, electricians and other pros, how to manage the book keeping of the property, etc., etc., etc. If you want to succeed in RE investing, getting this experience will be critical! In my experience, a HH can provide incredibly valuable lessons that no mentor, real estate course, book or podcast could ever teach (though, I'd still highly recommend reading up on relevant RE resources, listening to podcasts, etc.).

    Plus, if you decide to do one of the other strategies in the future (such as BRRR'ing or out of state investing), you'll be much more prepared to do it if you have a few HH's under your belt--a ton of the lessons you'll learn from a HH can be used to succeed in other areas of real estate ...in fact, I'd say that a HH should be a necessary prerequisite to the more advanced strategies (like flipping) for most folks!


    3. Compared to other strategies (like flipping, wholesaling, etc.),
    HH is relatively simple and lower-risk, and therefore has a higher chance of success. I always use this analogy: would you tell a beginner skier who has zero experience to ski a double black diamond (the most advanced terrain) for their first run? (obviously, no; a beginner could easily get themselves killed on double black diamond terrain!). Beginners should start off on beginner terrain, where they actually have a chance to learn and succeed. A house hack is like that beginner run (but BRRR'ing, wholesaling, and out-of-state investing are more like double black diamonds).

    The fact of the matter is: real estate is often a high-stakes endeavor, and the more advanced strategies (like BRRR'ing, wholesaling, flipping, out of state investing, etc.) can easily bankrupt a beginner when they're executed poorly.

    Now, having said all that, house hacking is not necessarily easy (if it were, everyone would do it!)...it's just easier than the more advanced strategies...House hacking still takes significant due diligence, skill in analyzing the market and the property, time and effort to learn about tenant screening and property management, the ability to anticipate appreciation/depreciation trends, etc., etc., etc....and even with lots of skill and preparation, things will still go wrong (vacancy, plumbing leaks, bad tenants, etc.)--but that's the nature of the game. As James Brown sang: you gotta pay the cost to be the boss.


    Good luck out there!

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Leo R.:

    @Caleb Spillyards I'd suggest first zeroing in on the strategy you're pursuing--you mentioned numerous strategies that are all quite different. You are right to be wary of STRs right now (there are plenty of articles/forum posts etc. describing the risks of STRs).

    I would also say that BRRR'ing and flipping are very risky and difficult at the moment (even for experienced pros). Plus, BRRR'ing and flipping are relatively advanced strategies, and you mentioned that you're a beginner--so, they don't really match your experience level... I always make the analogy that trying to BRRR with no prior REI experience is a bit like trying to surf a 50 foot wave with no surfing experience--the chances of success are slim, and there are MUCH better, lower risk ways to learn to surf--similarly, there are much better ways to learn real estate investing.

    In my opinion, house hacking (a single fam or small multifam) is the single best way for people to get started in real estate investing.

    Why? Because, house hacking can produce great financial returns, it teaches you essential RE investing skills, but (compared to more advanced strategies like BRRR'ing or wholesaling), it is comparatively lower risk, simple and beginner-friendly (and therefore has the highest likelihood of success).

    More specifically:

    1. A HH can produce great financial returns. A HH can substantially lower your living expenses, while creating cashflow, appreciation, mortgage pay down, and tax benefits. A HH can also involve opportunities to force appreciation and/or rent (e.g.; by adding an extra bedroom in a previously under-utilized space). When executed correctly and repeatedly, house hacking can be very lucrative, and there are multi-millionaires who built their fortunes on repetitive house hacking! Although it's a strategy that's good for beginners, there are plenty of very experienced RE investors who continue to HH, because it's such a powerful strategy.

    2. A house hack will teach you the essential skills you'll need to succeed in RE investing. With a HH, you can learn how to analyze properties & markets, how to find an investor-friendly agent, how to spot value-add opportunities at properties, how to engage in a strong due diligence process, how to screen tenants, how to manage the property, how to build a network of contractors, plumbers, electricians and other pros, how to manage the book keeping of the property, etc., etc., etc. If you want to succeed in RE investing, getting this experience will be critical! In my experience, a HH can provide incredibly valuable lessons that no mentor, real estate course, book or podcast could ever teach (though, I'd still highly recommend reading up on relevant RE resources, listening to podcasts, etc.).

    Plus, if you decide to do one of the other strategies in the future (such as BRRR'ing or out of state investing), you'll be much more prepared to do it if you have a few HH's under your belt--a ton of the lessons you'll learn from a HH can be used to succeed in other areas of real estate ...in fact, I'd say that a HH should be a necessary prerequisite to the more advanced strategies (like flipping) for most folks!


    3. Compared to other strategies (like flipping, wholesaling, etc.),
    HH is relatively simple and lower-risk, and therefore has a higher chance of success. I always use this analogy: would you tell a beginner skier who has zero experience to ski a double black diamond (the most advanced terrain) for their first run? (obviously, no; a beginner could easily get themselves killed on double black diamond terrain!). Beginners should start off on beginner terrain, where they actually have a chance to learn and succeed. A house hack is like that beginner run (but BRRR'ing, wholesaling, and out-of-state investing are more like double black diamonds).

    The fact of the matter is: real estate is often a high-stakes endeavor, and the more advanced strategies (like BRRR'ing, wholesaling, flipping, out of state investing, etc.) can easily bankrupt a beginner when they're executed poorly.

    Now, having said all that, house hacking is not necessarily easy (if it were, everyone would do it!)...it's just easier than the more advanced strategies...House hacking still takes significant due diligence, skill in analyzing the market and the property, time and effort to learn about tenant screening and property management, the ability to anticipate appreciation/depreciation trends, etc., etc., etc....and even with lots of skill and preparation, things will still go wrong (vacancy, plumbing leaks, bad tenants, etc.)--but that's the nature of the game. As James Brown sang: you gotta pay the cost to be the boss.


    Good luck out there!

    Wow!  Thanks so much for all of that information.  I guess my thoughts with all of this were that I don’t own a house myself, so what would I be okay with it I were the one that ended up living there.  But maybe that’s the wrong thought process?  Re:  flips and brrrr, I see what you’re saying.  The benefit I have is that my parents remodeled houses all growing up and he would help me with remodels and things of that nature.  Regarding house hacking that is what I initially thought about because I don’t own a house myself, but I’m also thinking about a hybrid approach where I find a place that needs some work, live in it while I remodel or repair things, house hack a room once it’s done then ultimately start renting it out completely.
  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jingru Sui:

    Hey , i will suggest you to talk to a lender and reverse engineer to figure out that budget you are working with. Then research on areas that allows your to find property within that price range at the same time saving more money! Good lock. Back couple yrs ago i was able to get property around 150K in Atlanta suburbs. Not sure if we can go back to those time but i think there’s always opportunities. Welcome to the community. 

    thank you!  im looking in atlanta so maybe I can get in touch once I find a lender and do what you said
  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 591 posts · 695 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Caleb Spillyards:
    Quote from @Leo R.:

    @Caleb Spillyards I'd suggest first zeroing in on the strategy you're pursuing--you mentioned numerous strategies that are all quite different. You are right to be wary of STRs right now (there are plenty of articles/forum posts etc. describing the risks of STRs).

    I would also say that BRRR'ing and flipping are very risky and difficult at the moment (even for experienced pros). Plus, BRRR'ing and flipping are relatively advanced strategies, and you mentioned that you're a beginner--so, they don't really match your experience level... I always make the analogy that trying to BRRR with no prior REI experience is a bit like trying to surf a 50 foot wave with no surfing experience--the chances of success are slim, and there are MUCH better, lower risk ways to learn to surf--similarly, there are much better ways to learn real estate investing.

    In my opinion, house hacking (a single fam or small multifam) is the single best way for people to get started in real estate investing.

    Why? Because, house hacking can produce great financial returns, it teaches you essential RE investing skills, but (compared to more advanced strategies like BRRR'ing or wholesaling), it is comparatively lower risk, simple and beginner-friendly (and therefore has the highest likelihood of success).

    More specifically:

    1. A HH can produce great financial returns. A HH can substantially lower your living expenses, while creating cashflow, appreciation, mortgage pay down, and tax benefits. A HH can also involve opportunities to force appreciation and/or rent (e.g.; by adding an extra bedroom in a previously under-utilized space). When executed correctly and repeatedly, house hacking can be very lucrative, and there are multi-millionaires who built their fortunes on repetitive house hacking! Although it's a strategy that's good for beginners, there are plenty of very experienced RE investors who continue to HH, because it's such a powerful strategy.

    2. A house hack will teach you the essential skills you'll need to succeed in RE investing. With a HH, you can learn how to analyze properties & markets, how to find an investor-friendly agent, how to spot value-add opportunities at properties, how to engage in a strong due diligence process, how to screen tenants, how to manage the property, how to build a network of contractors, plumbers, electricians and other pros, how to manage the book keeping of the property, etc., etc., etc. If you want to succeed in RE investing, getting this experience will be critical! In my experience, a HH can provide incredibly valuable lessons that no mentor, real estate course, book or podcast could ever teach (though, I'd still highly recommend reading up on relevant RE resources, listening to podcasts, etc.).

    Plus, if you decide to do one of the other strategies in the future (such as BRRR'ing or out of state investing), you'll be much more prepared to do it if you have a few HH's under your belt--a ton of the lessons you'll learn from a HH can be used to succeed in other areas of real estate ...in fact, I'd say that a HH should be a necessary prerequisite to the more advanced strategies (like flipping) for most folks!


    3. Compared to other strategies (like flipping, wholesaling, etc.),
    HH is relatively simple and lower-risk, and therefore has a higher chance of success. I always use this analogy: would you tell a beginner skier who has zero experience to ski a double black diamond (the most advanced terrain) for their first run? (obviously, no; a beginner could easily get themselves killed on double black diamond terrain!). Beginners should start off on beginner terrain, where they actually have a chance to learn and succeed. A house hack is like that beginner run (but BRRR'ing, wholesaling, and out-of-state investing are more like double black diamonds).

    The fact of the matter is: real estate is often a high-stakes endeavor, and the more advanced strategies (like BRRR'ing, wholesaling, flipping, out of state investing, etc.) can easily bankrupt a beginner when they're executed poorly.

    Now, having said all that, house hacking is not necessarily easy (if it were, everyone would do it!)...it's just easier than the more advanced strategies...House hacking still takes significant due diligence, skill in analyzing the market and the property, time and effort to learn about tenant screening and property management, the ability to anticipate appreciation/depreciation trends, etc., etc., etc....and even with lots of skill and preparation, things will still go wrong (vacancy, plumbing leaks, bad tenants, etc.)--but that's the nature of the game. As James Brown sang: you gotta pay the cost to be the boss.


    Good luck out there!

    Wow!  Thanks so much for all of that information.  I guess my thoughts with all of this were that I don’t own a house myself, so what would I be okay with it I were the one that ended up living there.  But maybe that’s the wrong thought process?  Re:  flips and brrrr, I see what you’re saying.  The benefit I have is that my parents remodeled houses all growing up and he would help me with remodels and things of that nature.  Regarding house hacking that is what I initially thought about because I don’t own a house myself, but I’m also thinking about a hybrid approach where I find a place that needs some work, live in it while I remodel or repair things, house hack a room once it’s done then ultimately start renting it out completely.

    Yes--you can combine a house hack with a rehab and do a live-in BRRR (which can be less risky than a regular BRRR if you find a property that cashflows and also suits your living needs even if you're unable to hit your ARV). The downside, of course, is living in a property that you're rehabbing--if you're going to do this, it's a good idea to look for properties that are set up in a way that allow you to rehab one part of the property while you live in another part of the property; for instance, a duplex where you live in one unit while rehabbing the other, and then switch, or a house that has multiple, well-separated living areas that allow you to work on one part of the house while living in another part.

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    House hacking is a great way to get ahead financially, whether you're just starting out or looking for an investment. Not only does it reduce your living expenses, but it also gives you the opportunity to build your real estate portfolio and invest in property for the future. And don't forget, when you are ready to move up or out of the home, you will have a great rental property that will generate passive income! It's definitely worth considering - house hacking can be a smart decision for anyone looking to maximize their financial success. So why not give it a try? You could be enjoying the benefits of house hacking before you know it!

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 263 votes
    3y

    I would suggest your first home to be the easiest, cheapest, most comfortable purchase you can do! 

    You will learn, you will grow with the property, you will lose very little if the market corrects, you will have options, you will take advantage of tax breaks and loan pay down and you can choose to STR part of it or the whole thing when you are not there.

    In LA : you could buy: 

    SFH: 3.5% down to 5% down : $800k : $40k or less down payment plus closing costs. (same for a condo)

    Anything between $600k and $800k even less cost to purchase. 

    You can do a Construction loan: and buy a fixer and put an ADU in it. Increase the value, the cash flow and live in one side and STR it or get a tenant for the other unit.

    Otherwise, if you go out of state: you will likely need 20% to 25% down payment (more money ) with a lower price point. Doable still 

    Let me know if you want to talk.

    I have great lenders out here also .

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    Start with a 2-4 unit in Atlanta you can live in, fix up and rent out - all while learning about real estate and tenants.

    Then, if you still like it, you can apply your hard won knowledge to additional acquisitions with the confidence to make them successful.

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Caleb Spillyards:

    Hello everyone! First time poster here. Im a stuntman in the film and television industry living in both atlanta and los angeles. I just finished how to invest in real estate in 2 days and Im really looking to take the next steps in acquiring a property. What interested me the most was a STR, but after hearing about some of the recent hardships as well as competition at the moment, I thought maybe I should wait on that. My fiancé is from puerto rico and I thought about purchasing a place there to use as a STR as well as a place for us to be when im not working. I work in film and if im not shooting it would be nice to block out the days im off and just be there. I have about 60K cash saved, but unfortunately as far as I know because of the nature of my work being self employed, ill have to fork over 20 percent so that really limits me a bit until I have more saved. My other interest in the genres of real estate are single family home, for me to probably house hack in the atlanta area, Brrrr rental, or a potential flip. My question is, where do I go from here? I got a good broad strokes idea of things from the book, but what would you guys suggest from here? Do I just start shopping and using the calculators here to find a good deal? are there any other educational avenues I should pursue before I start looking to get a place? Im definitely a more hands on person. If I start reading too much ill get analysis paralysis. If you were me with 60k what would you do? Looking forward to being a part of the community.


     If Houshacking is an option, I think that's the best place to start. It can really set up your future.

  • Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 80 votes
    3y

    Echoing what everyone else is saying! Definitely start with a house hack. I would try to find a local investor friendly real estate agent that has house-hacked before to help you out. They will know which properties in your area makes the most sense for house-hacking and can even help run the numbers for you! If done properly you can live in your home for free or even get paid to live there!

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Caleb Spillyards Have you been in any cool movies???

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luka Milicevic:

    @Caleb Spillyards Have you been in any cool movies???


     yeah ive been in a few!  most recently guardians of the galaxy 3 and im working on a spin off of john wick called ballerina right now in prague!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2020 · 75 posts · 44 votes
    3y

    To get started, I would recommend researching the local real estate markets in both Atlanta and Puerto Rico to get a sense of what types of properties are available and at what price points. You can use online tools like Zillow or Redfin to search for properties and get an idea of what is on the market. You may also want to consider joining a local real estate investor group or attending local real estate meetups to connect with other investors and learn more about the market.

    In addition to researching the local markets, it would also be a good idea to review your financial situation and determine what type of investment makes the most sense for you. For example, if you are looking to house hack, you may want to consider a single family home in Atlanta that you can live in and rent out the extra rooms to cover some of your mortgage payments. If you are interested in flipping, you may want to consider a property that needs some work and has potential for a good return on investment.

    As far as educational resources go, there are many websites and forums that offer information and advice on real estate investing. Some good places to start might be the BiggerPockets forum itself, as well as the Real Estate Investors Association (REIA) and the National Real Estate Investor (NREI).

    Overall, the most important thing is to do your due diligence and make sure you fully understand the risks and rewards of any investment you are considering. Good luck with your real estate journey!

  • Developer · Member since 2010 · 188 posts · 103 votes
    3y

    Great thread! If you are interested in Puerto Rico real estate, there are a lot of opportunities here. Since your fiance is from Puerto Rico, you have a local advantage and language skill in this market. I'm from Los Angeles. I sold all my properties there 2 years ago and invested in Puerto Rico instead for several reason - much lower entry price point, much more friendly laws for STR, tax incentives for STR and better business climate compared to LA. Please contact me if you want more info about the real estate market in Puerto Rico.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 384 posts · 330 votes
    3y

    @Caleb Spillyards your energy for getting started is fabulous!  There's a lot of good advice on here.  To echo some of it, I'd say:

    1- start with really zeroing in on what you want. Yes everyone wants passive income, wealth building, etc. You need to get more specific and personal. Is cashflow or appreciation more of your focus? Do you need to replace your income? STRs can be great for personal use and cashflow, realize they require more work, and learning about hospitality, tech tools, etc. Specific, personal goals will guide you to the correct REI path for you.

    2- Get with a lender who knows REI to see what's possible. If you have 2 or more years of experience in your current field, being self-employed should be irrelevant. STR advantage could be using a second home loan and doing 10% down instead of more.

    3-  Once you do 1 and 2 and get into the research, the BP spreadsheet is pretty good.  What return is "good" depends on the person.  

    For your first, I recommend focusing on a "base hit".  People who will only jump on a home run, especially on their first, end up spending a lot of time out of the game entirely.  In my view, it's better to be in the game and learning then on the sidelines.  Also, when you run numbers conservatively, projected returns are often lower than actual returns.  You may find that base hit turns out to be double, triple, or maybe even a home run!

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Adrienne Green:

    @Caleb Spillyards your energy for getting started is fabulous!  There's a lot of good advice on here.  To echo some of it, I'd say:

    1- start with really zeroing in on what you want. Yes everyone wants passive income, wealth building, etc. You need to get more specific and personal. Is cashflow or appreciation more of your focus? Do you need to replace your income? STRs can be great for personal use and cashflow, realize they require more work, and learning about hospitality, tech tools, etc. Specific, personal goals will guide you to the correct REI path for you.

    2- Get with a lender who knows REI to see what's possible. If you have 2 or more years of experience in your current field, being self-employed should be irrelevant. STR advantage could be using a second home loan and doing 10% down instead of more.

    3-  Once you do 1 and 2 and get into the research, the BP spreadsheet is pretty good.  What return is "good" depends on the person.  

    For your first, I recommend focusing on a "base hit".  People who will only jump on a home run, especially on their first, end up spending a lot of time out of the game entirely.  In my view, it's better to be in the game and learning then on the sidelines.  Also, when you run numbers conservatively, projected returns are often lower than actual returns.  You may find that base hit turns out to be double, triple, or maybe even a home run!


     That’s a great point!  I definitely don’t need to replace my income since i love what I do and at least for the next few years I want to be doing it!  I guess at the end of the day if I was break even on cash flow but had several properties other people were paying for that would be great!  Although having both would also be nice!  I’m going to continue researching and asking questions as well as trying to find meet ups.  How does one learn what a good deal in a certain market is?  Comparing other homes of similar styles and specs against each other?  Still a little confused on how one determine what makes a good deal a great one.  Do I rely on an agent for that?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
    3y

    @Caleb Spillyards

    I was in a similar boat as you a few years ago. So many methods, each one cool in their own right. I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to turn. 

    I turned to out of state investing because I could get significantly better COC returns and cash flow for my money. I've now gotten multiple properties for the price of 1 in my market.

    @Zach Lemaster and his team is regularly putting these together and have helped me get my investing journey started. Check them out and see if they can help you. 

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Crunkilton:

    @Caleb Spillyards

    I was in a similar boat as you a few years ago. So many methods, each one cool in their own right. I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to turn. 

    I turned to out of state investing because I could get significantly better COC returns and cash flow for my money. I've now gotten multiple properties for the price of 1 in my market.

    @Zach Lemaster and his team is regularly putting these together and have helped me get my investing journey started. Check them out and see if they can help you. 


     I have a call with RTR coming up 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Caleb Spillyards:
    Quote from @Joseph Crunkilton:

    @Caleb Spillyards

    I was in a similar boat as you a few years ago. So many methods, each one cool in their own right. I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to turn. 

    I turned to out of state investing because I could get significantly better COC returns and cash flow for my money. I've now gotten multiple properties for the price of 1 in my market.

    @Zach Lemaster and his team is regularly putting these together and have helped me get my investing journey started. Check them out and see if they can help you. 


     I have a call with RTR coming up 


     That's great! Taking action is what separates the investors from the ones who sit on the sidelines. I've had a positive experience with them and I hope they can help you as well. 

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 384 posts · 330 votes
    3y

    @Caleb Spillyards In response to your question of what a good deal is, the truth is everyone has their own definition based on their situation.  If someone is paying cash, they'll have a higher overall return since they don't pay for debt servicing.  Others are happy to take a lower return in order to use the leveraging power of debt.  In today's interest rate environment, those using debt are seeing lower rates than they were 9+ months ago, so that adds another measure: expected returns are a moving target based on interest rates. 

    It sounds like, for you, a "good deal" would be something where you're breaking even and all the house's costs are covered by the tenant.  I would add ensure that you are budgeting for repairs/maintenance and Cap Ex.  Honestly, if you're using a mortgage and a property manager if it's a LTR, then that's about what we're seeing for most rent ready in A or B class neighborhoods these days.

    On a related note, I've seen people walk away from great deals because they're viewing it with too short of a time horizon.  For example, an investor may state they're planning on holding a house long term, and yet they walk away if, with conservative numbers, the house doesn't have double digit cash on cash returns in Year 1.  Rents will increase annually and many of your costs will be fixed, so returns will only get better over time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.