New Investor Exploring the Philadelphia Market

New Investor Exploring the Philadelphia Market

Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 12 votes

Hello BiggerPockets Community,

I trust you're all doing well. I'm Dzung Doan, a newcomer to real estate investing with a focus on the buy-and-hold strategy for rental properties. I've gathered a starting capital of around $35K-$50K and can save an additional $3K-$5K monthly for further investments. My financing strategy centers around using conventional loans, specifically a 30-year mortgage with a 20-25% down payment.

In an attempt to make my investment journey as passive as possible, I'm researching markets and properties that can offer steady cash flow with minimal active management. One market that has caught my attention is Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, given its stable economy, rich cultural heritage, and attractive rental yields.

As I'm just starting my journey, I would love to hear from seasoned investors who have experience investing in the Philadelphia market from out-of-state. I am particularly interested in:

  1. Understanding the different neighborhoods and their respective investment potentials
  2. Hearing about the challenges and rewards you've faced in this market
  3. Learning from your experiences with local teams (agents, property managers, contractors, etc.)
  4. Gaining insights from your key lessons and successful strategies

Furthermore, any advice on potential pitfalls or critical factors I should be aware of in the Philadelphia market would be immensely appreciated.

My goal is to make well-informed decisions and hopefully embark on a successful journey in real estate investing. I am open to any advice and suggestions, and I look forward to insightful discussions with this knowledgeable community.

Thank you in advance for your time and for sharing your wisdom and experiences.

Best regards,

Dzung Doan.

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 618 posts · 430 votes
3y

Assuming 25% down for an investment property at your max range $50k would be $200k all in. Then subtract closing costs and any renovations needed. So your talking about a home in the $175k and under range.

There are plenty of areas that you can find properties at or below that threshold but few that will have a solid tenant base in Philadelphia. Id first start by looking on Redfin/Zillow/etc and cap your search in the low $200k’s and see what areas are even possible at that price point. Then dive into what those specific areas are like. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 360 votes
    3y

    @Dzung Doan  Welcome to the Philly RE Market.  If you have a short list of markets you want to get invested in, I guarantee they are each very different and each have their plusses and minuses that will effect you very differently depending on what type of investor you will be, risk tolerance, your strategy and goals . . . If anyone tells you one market is better than another without knowing anything about you, take their advice with a grain of salt. I work a lot in Philadelphia (I run the Philadelphia Landlords Connect FB group and produce the only Philly Landlords podcast) but I am in many other markets as well. So I will not say any market I am in is the best. I am all about diversification, managing risk, ability to pivot fast to meet changing markets and changing life circumstances . . .  In Philly, if you want to be as passive as possible, I suggest  looking at better neighborhoods and housing stock or doing total gut rehab in up and coming areas because your challenges to reach headache free investments will be the condition of the older homes and tough tenants. Older properties, if not rehabbed properly usually will have major issues. Tenants in rougher areas will frequently have issues with paying rent, damaging the property and other issues. And if you only have 1-2 properties of this type, you are at high risk.  If you want to jump the learning curve rather than learning all this "on the job", feel free to reach out.

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey Dzung, and welcome to the Bp community. I am local investor and agent in the area and have experience buying, selling, managing, and investing in phila. I'd be happy to connect and discuss your investment goals, questions about the city, and my experience. Feel free to reach out anytime!

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 618 posts · 430 votes
    3y

    Assuming 25% down for an investment property at your max range $50k would be $200k all in. Then subtract closing costs and any renovations needed. So your talking about a home in the $175k and under range.

    There are plenty of areas that you can find properties at or below that threshold but few that will have a solid tenant base in Philadelphia. Id first start by looking on Redfin/Zillow/etc and cap your search in the low $200k’s and see what areas are even possible at that price point. Then dive into what those specific areas are like. 

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    You might want to consider the other side of the state also. Pittsburgh has a lot to offer and from what little I know of the Philadelphia market the prices here are quite a bit less.

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2023 · 81 posts · 40 votes
    3y

    Hi @Dzung Doan,

    Welcome to the world of REI and BiggerPockets! This is a great place to get to connect with experienced investors and learn more. I agree with @Sheryl Sitman no matter where you buy in the Philly market, there are pro's and cons. You just have to make sure you do your own research and due diligence before you make a purchase so that it makes sense for you and your investment goals. I've been an acquisition specialist and agent in the Philly area for a little bit now and I would love to connect to help answer any questions you may have about the Philly market!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.