Where do I begin?

Where do I begin?

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 4 votes

I am a licensed electrical contractor in the state SC and I'm looking to connect with people who are investing in multi family (16+ doors). I don't know anything about buying these and getting started but I'd like to own as many as possible and would be willing to help out an investor already in play for some knowledge. I'm in Summerville but I travel all over the state for work. I look forward to connecting.

2Reply
76 views

Most Popular Reply

Christian EhlersBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · NH & MA · Member since 2021 · 457 posts · 291 votes
2y

Hey Nathan glad to have you on the site! I'd be sure to go to some local meetups as well to find investors in your area and offer to do electrical work for them in exchange for helping you learn the business. Contractors are usually hard to find especially if the investor doesn't have a steady flow of projects for them to work on, this should be a great help for them. 

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Christian EhlersBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NH & MA · Member since 2021 · 457 posts · 291 votes
    2y

    Hey Nathan glad to have you on the site! I'd be sure to go to some local meetups as well to find investors in your area and offer to do electrical work for them in exchange for helping you learn the business. Contractors are usually hard to find especially if the investor doesn't have a steady flow of projects for them to work on, this should be a great help for them. 

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Hey Nathan, I just Joined as well and I am interested in mutually navigating an environment that is new to both of us. Also located in the Charleston area and the crazy market we have here. I hope we can connect some time!

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    So the goal for you sounds like - meeting people. Network. Join groups. Social clubs. Meet-ups. Become an agent if you want. Basically you need to get yourself involved and throw yourself into the RE world 

  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Christian Ehlers:

    Hey Nathan glad to have you on the site! I'd be sure to go to some local meetups as well to find investors in your area and offer to do electrical work for them in exchange for helping you learn the business. Contractors are usually hard to find especially if the investor doesn't have a steady flow of projects for them to work on, this should be a great help for them. 

    How do I find a get together or meetup? This site has more information than I know what to do with. It's kind of overwhelming. Any help in finding this would be awesome 


  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jeremy Horton:

    So the goal for you sounds like - meeting people. Network. Join groups. Social clubs. Meet-ups. Become an agent if you want. Basically you need to get yourself involved and throw yourself into the RE world 

    I'm pretty involved socially with my business I just don't know where to find these "meet-ups" (that seems to be a common phrase)
  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Aidan Downey:

    Hey Nathan, I just Joined as well and I am interested in mutually navigating an environment that is new to both of us. Also located in the Charleston area and the crazy market we have here. I hope we can connect some time!

    Sounds good to me. I'm pretty easy to find on Google Down South Electric. Shoot me a message anytime 
  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nathan Hawkins:
    Quote from @Christian Ehlers:

    Hey Nathan glad to have you on the site! I'd be sure to go to some local meetups as well to find investors in your area and offer to do electrical work for them in exchange for helping you learn the business. Contractors are usually hard to find especially if the investor doesn't have a steady flow of projects for them to work on, this should be a great help for them. 

    How do I find a get together or meetup? This site has more information than I know what to do with. It's kind of overwhelming. Any help in finding this would be awesome 



     Put you location in here on the site. Search for you location on here and maybe there will be some groups on here. If not, check facebook groups. Usually theirs some landlord/investment/rental groups that may have some information. I'd ask around too - ask realtors if they know of any investor groups meet up (a lot may not but hopefully someone will) Good luck!

  • Troy GandeeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 794 posts · 454 votes
    2y

    @Nathan Hawkins We have a monthly networking meetup called REI Central for investors in the Charleston area. I'd suggest you check that out to network and learn as much you can.

  • Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 30 votes
    2y

    you are new to this, you still do not have enough knowledge or at least someone to guide you, so I do not see a reason on why you would jump straight away on 16+ unit deals, it might overwhelm you, start with learning and building a portfolio with a few 3plexes, 4plexes and then scale into 10+ unit deals.

  • Member since 2023 · 35 posts · 50 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Cooper:

    you are new to this, you still do not have enough knowledge or at least someone to guide you, so I do not see a reason on why you would jump straight away on 16+ unit deals, it might overwhelm you, start with learning and building a portfolio with a few 3plexes, 4plexes and then scale into 10+ unit deals.


     I would agree here, I am pretty new as well, so it would overwhelm me starting with big deals like 16+ units

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Christian Ehlers:

    Hey Nathan glad to have you on the site! I'd be sure to go to some local meetups as well to find investors in your area and offer to do electrical work for them in exchange for helping you learn the business. Contractors are usually hard to find especially if the investor doesn't have a steady flow of projects for them to work on, this should be a great help for them. 


     Christian, interested in hearing more about the times and locations of these meet ups.  

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Aidan Downey:

    Hey Nathan, I just Joined as well and I am interested in mutually navigating an environment that is new to both of us. Also located in the Charleston area and the crazy market we have here. I hope we can connect some time!


     Same here, Charleston market.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Troy Gandee:

    @Nathan Hawkins We have a monthly networking meetup called REI Central for investors in the Charleston area. I'd suggest you check that out to network and learn as much you can.


     Time and location?

  • Troy GandeeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 794 posts · 454 votes
    2y

    1st Thursday of each month from 6-8pm at Palmetto Brewing Co downtown for the main meetup. We also have sub-group meetings for the annual ticket holders. www.rei-central.com

  • Christian EhlersBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NH & MA · Member since 2021 · 457 posts · 291 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joshua R. Hope:
    Quote from @Christian Ehlers:

    Hey Nathan glad to have you on the site! I'd be sure to go to some local meetups as well to find investors in your area and offer to do electrical work for them in exchange for helping you learn the business. Contractors are usually hard to find especially if the investor doesn't have a steady flow of projects for them to work on, this should be a great help for them. 


     Christian, interested in hearing more about the times and locations of these meet ups.  


    There's a New Hampshire Real Estate Investors Meetup tonight at 6pm in Manchester I believe, as well as a Simplified REI Meetup Tomorrow in Portsmouth NH at 6:30-8:30pm. You can find them on Biggerpockets, Meetup.com or by just googling Real Estate Investor Meetup Near Me, or something like that

  • Real Estate Agent · Charleston, SC · Member since 2023 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    Hello! I'm happy to throw in my two cents! You are already doing some of what you need to do to get started - you are here at BP and posting that you are looking to connect with others in the industry. Additionally, I agree that joining networking groups is helpful. Have business cards always. Be ready to start conversations with the people in the grocery store behind you in line. Opportunity is everywhere. By the way, I'm located in Summerville and work at the Cane Bay/Nexton Carolina One office. :) 

  • Joshua PoitrasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Lowell, MA · Member since 2015 · 187 posts · 67 votes
    2y

    guys, im hosting simplified's Southern NH meetup Wednesday night at the Merrimack Budweiser Biergarten. It originally used to be in Manchester NH. We have grown so I needed a larger venue. message me for details.

    @Joshua R. Hope

    @Christian Ehlers

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.