Small business accountant vs accountant with REI background.

Small business accountant vs accountant with REI background.

Member since 2024 · 400 posts · 240 votes

Hello everyone. I am a small business owner and already have an accountant for past 25 yrs. I am new to RE investment and starting out. My question (probably more relevant to those in similar situation of being small business owner getting into REI) is : Are 'regular' accountants well versed in RE investor needs? If not, do you use 2 accountants? Do I transfer my regular accounting to the one with RE experience? How do I avoid paying 2 accountants? Do RE accountant (if there is such) work with regular accountants? How do RE accountant differ in service and fees? Anyone been down this road? TIA.

4Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Perry Hall, MD · Member since 2016 · 587 posts · 598 votes
2y

My personal experience was that there is a difference between a "Regular" accountant or bookkeeper and one who understands real estate. Years of headaches and thousands of dollars in expenses from having someone untangle what the last guys did later, I can now confidently say to seek out those who have real estate knowledge.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Perry Hall, MD · Member since 2016 · 587 posts · 598 votes
    2y

    My personal experience was that there is a difference between a "Regular" accountant or bookkeeper and one who understands real estate. Years of headaches and thousands of dollars in expenses from having someone untangle what the last guys did later, I can now confidently say to seek out those who have real estate knowledge.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2023 · 459 posts · 474 votes
    2y

    Real estate specific tax law is very complicated and dynamic. We moved from a non-RE specialist to a RE specialist accountant and reduced our taxes by tens of thousands of dollars. Find an expert. We really like ProVision - big firm, lots of resources, they appear to do a good job staying on top of changes.

  • Member since 2024 · 400 posts · 240 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Glen Wiley:

    Real estate specific tax law is very complicated and dynamic. We moved from a non-RE specialist to a RE specialist accountant and reduced our taxes by tens of thousands of dollars. Find an expert. We really like ProVision - big firm, lots of resources, they appear to do a good job staying on top of changes.


     Thank you Glen for your input as well as recommendation of ProVision.  Will definitely check them out.

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    2y

    Interesting, thanks for sharing your perspective.

  • Member since 2024 · 400 posts · 240 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jon K.:

    My personal experience was that there is a difference between a "Regular" accountant or bookkeeper and one who understands real estate. Years of headaches and thousands of dollars in expenses from having someone untangle what the last guys did later, I can now confidently say to seek out those who have real estate knowledge.


     Thank you Jon for your input.  Should I still keep the 'regular' accountant for everything non-RE?  Or will the RE accountant become a one-stop shop?  

  • Member since 2021 · 32 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kevin S.:
    Quote from @Jon K.:

    My personal experience was that there is a difference between a "Regular" accountant or bookkeeper and one who understands real estate. Years of headaches and thousands of dollars in expenses from having someone untangle what the last guys did later, I can now confidently say to seek out those who have real estate knowledge.


     Thank you Jon for your input.  Should I still keep the 'regular' accountant for everything non-RE?  Or will the RE accountant become a one-stop shop?  


    I had a "regular" accountant doing my personal taxes until I had another RE accountant take a look at my previous tax return. I had been W2 but that return was the first year I was fully self-employed (and mostly non-real estate) and the "regular" accountant totally missed so many deductions that I had because I was self-employed. The next year I only made slightly more money but my new accountant was able to slash my tax bill nearly in half simply because he understood my situation more fully. I would definitely consider at least interviewing several accountants and ask for their opinions and experience levels with everything you do.

  • Member since 2024 · 400 posts · 240 votes
    2y

    Thank you Evan.  Are you in Florida?

  • Member since 2021 · 32 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kevin S.:

    Thank you Evan.  Are you in Florida?


     Of course! I am in Texas. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    There are different tax codes / concepts when it applies to real estate investors vs those with a small business

    Small business
    A) SEP IRA / Solo401K
    B) S-Corp or not

    Real Estate
    A) Real Estate Professional Status
    B) 1031 exchange

    There are also some concepts that apply to both

    Small business / Real Estate
    A) Home Office Deduction
    B) 199A Qualified Business Income deduction

  • Jake BakerBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes
    2y

    @Kevin S.

    Very interesting perspective. Either way, I recommend having a real estate accountant/bookkeeper for your real estate. 

    BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 400 posts · 240 votes
    2y

    Thanks Jake.  Advice taken.  Do I keep 2 accountants, the regular accountant for my small business and a RE accountant as well?  For those who have small business and are RE investors, please chime in.  Thanks.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.