Choosing a Rental Market- Analysis Paralysis!

Choosing a Rental Market- Analysis Paralysis!

Realtor · Portland, OR · Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 19 votes

Hello everyone, 

I am looking to purchase my first investment property this year and am having some trouble deciding on a market. I know to look for areas that are landlord friendly, have population/job growth, limited seasonal/environmental issues, high rent/price ratio, and areas within my budget (under $200Kish). However, my issues run into seeing a few markets that look good and then I can't seem to finalize my decision on which is better or where to really focus my time searching. So far I've been interested in Cleveland, Columbus, Birmingham, and Memphis. 

Am I missing anything in my criteria? Does anyone have a system they use to filter through the endless available markets and narrow down your options to something a bit more manageable? Any words of wisdom are welcomed too!

11Reply
211 views

Most Popular Reply

Henry ClarkPro Member
Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
2y

Your best market, best returns, best risk/reward as a first time investor is where you live and your own housing.  You have far more options than a larger investor.  

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 292 posts · 364 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alex Johnson:

    Hello everyone, 

    I am looking to purchase my first investment property this year and am having some trouble deciding on a market. I know to look for areas that are landlord friendly, have population/job growth, limited seasonal/environmental issues, high rent/price ratio, and areas within my budget (under $200Kish). However, my issues run into seeing a few markets that look good and then I can't seem to finalize my decision on which is better or where to really focus my time searching. So far I've been interested in Cleveland, Columbus, Birmingham, and Memphis. 

    Am I missing anything in my criteria? Does anyone have a system they use to filter through the endless available markets and narrow down your options to something a bit more manageable? Any words of wisdom are welcomed too!

    Hi Alex! I'm an investor too, and Columbus checks all your boxes for a great investment market—landlord friendly, growing population and job market, and high rent-to-price ratio. Let's connect and I'll share more about why Columbus could be the perfect fit for you
  • Roque MirandaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Miami FL · Member since 2024 · 61 posts · 33 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alex Johnson:

    Hello everyone, 

    I am looking to purchase my first investment property this year and am having some trouble deciding on a market. I know to look for areas that are landlord friendly, have population/job growth, limited seasonal/environmental issues, high rent/price ratio, and areas within my budget (under $200Kish). However, my issues run into seeing a few markets that look good and then I can't seem to finalize my decision on which is better or where to really focus my time searching. So far I've been interested in Cleveland, Columbus, Birmingham, and Memphis. 

    Am I missing anything in my criteria? Does anyone have a system they use to filter through the endless available markets and narrow down your options to something a bit more manageable? Any words of wisdom are welcomed too!

    Hi Alex, I just purchase in Montgomery Alabama for my fist BRRRR give me it appears that is a good market , i've been there and rents are good compare to the price of houses.

    Ill keep you posted on my experience!
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alex Johnson:

    Hello everyone, 

    I am looking to purchase my first investment property this year and am having some trouble deciding on a market. I know to look for areas that are landlord friendly, have population/job growth, limited seasonal/environmental issues, high rent/price ratio, and areas within my budget (under $200Kish). However, my issues run into seeing a few markets that look good and then I can't seem to finalize my decision on which is better or where to really focus my time searching. So far I've been interested in Cleveland, Columbus, Birmingham, and Memphis. 

    Am I missing anything in my criteria? Does anyone have a system they use to filter through the endless available markets and narrow down your options to something a bit more manageable? Any words of wisdom are welcomed too!

    Hey Alex, I moved to Columbus a few years ago (from Portland, Oregon which was super expensive) to become a full time real estate investor, and ever since, I've completed quite a lot of BRRRRs, flips, and own a successful rental portfolio here in Columbus Ohio. There's so many catalysts for population and job growth (Intel, Honda, Amazon, Nationwide Hospital, etc). I can definitely tell you there's still a lot of positive cash flowing and 1% rule deals. You get great appreciation and very landlord friendly laws. As an investor and agent here in Columbus Ohio, if you have any questions or want to connect, definitely reach out!

  • Realtor · Portland, OR · Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 19 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Roque Miranda:
    Quote from @Alex Johnson:

    Hello everyone, 

    I am looking to purchase my first investment property this year and am having some trouble deciding on a market. I know to look for areas that are landlord friendly, have population/job growth, limited seasonal/environmental issues, high rent/price ratio, and areas within my budget (under $200Kish). However, my issues run into seeing a few markets that look good and then I can't seem to finalize my decision on which is better or where to really focus my time searching. So far I've been interested in Cleveland, Columbus, Birmingham, and Memphis. 

    Am I missing anything in my criteria? Does anyone have a system they use to filter through the endless available markets and narrow down your options to something a bit more manageable? Any words of wisdom are welcomed too!

    Hi Alex, I just purchase in Montgomery Alabama for my fist BRRRR give me it appears that is a good market , i've been there and rents are good compare to the price of houses.

    Ill keep you posted on my experience!

     Thank you! I'd love to hear any updates. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.