new to real estate and I am here to learn

new to real estate and I am here to learn

New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes

Hello! i am starting my real estate journey and I am interested in investing in real estate to create some passive income but more importantly to escape the 9-5 jobs and create generational wealth. I played professional baseball for 4 years and don't have any experience in the real estate world. But i know working a 9-5 for the next 25 years is not for me. I have been listening to a lot of real estate podcasts and youtube videos. (how i stumbled upon biggerpockets). I am eager to get my feet wet in the real estate world, just not exactly sure where to start. I do not have the capital at the moment to invest into any type of real estate but i am starting a new job in August and want to develop a plan, therefore i can jump in and execute when I have the available capital. 

3Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
2y

@Benjamin Miller

house hack sequentially every 1-2 years for 10 years

See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brittany MinocchiBusiness Member
    Lender · Massillon, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 486 votes
    2y

    What’s up @Benjamin Miller! 

    Welcome to the world of real estate investing. There are a ton of people on these forums willing to give advice and point you in the right direction :) are you planning to invest locally or out of state? 

    Brittany Minocchi - Barrett Financial Group, LLC522 Reviews
    View Page
  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Benjamin Miller:

    Hello! i am starting my real estate journey and I am interested in investing in real estate to create some passive income but more importantly to escape the 9-5 jobs and create generational wealth. I played professional baseball for 4 years and don't have any experience in the real estate world. But i know working a 9-5 for the next 25 years is not for me. I have been listening to a lot of real estate podcasts and youtube videos. (how i stumbled upon biggerpockets). I am eager to get my feet wet in the real estate world, just not exactly sure where to start. I do not have the capital at the moment to invest into any type of real estate but i am starting a new job in August and want to develop a plan, therefore i can jump in and execute when I have the available capital. 


    Welcome to BP - you've definitely come to the right place - I'd recommend some of the books in the BP bookstore for next steps - particularly the BRRRR Method book by David Greene which is great and might be perfect for your situation

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    It's good to dial up a plan and there are many former athletes crushing it in real estate right now. This statement though - "more importantly to escape the 9-5 jobs and create generational wealth" - you should be careful of or just make sure it's a long-term goal. Since you were an athlete, going into the 9 to 5 will seem even worse, but if you don't have the capital now, the 9 to 5 is the best way to keep producing capital over the years to fund more and more until you can match or exceed your work income with investment income.

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    2y

    Continuous learning is key. Make the most of the educational resources available on BiggerPockets, and consider joining local meetings and Facebook groups. The opportunities in the real estate industry are vast, so define both your short-term and long-term goals.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Benjamin Miller

    house hack sequentially every 1-2 years for 10 years

  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2023 · 362 posts · 237 votes
    2y

    Hi, I've been doing this for about 4 years and I have scaled to 9 doors across Memphis and Detroit. Always happy to make new connections and knowledge share if you are interested.

  • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brittany Minocchi:

    What’s up @Benjamin Miller! 

    Welcome to the world of real estate investing. There are a ton of people on these forums willing to give advice and point you in the right direction :) are you planning to invest locally or out of state? 


     Personally, i am leaning towards investing out of state.. I live in California and the housing market is extremely expensive. 

  • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Robin Simon:
    Quote from @Benjamin Miller:

    Hello! i am starting my real estate journey and I am interested in investing in real estate to create some passive income but more importantly to escape the 9-5 jobs and create generational wealth. I played professional baseball for 4 years and don't have any experience in the real estate world. But i know working a 9-5 for the next 25 years is not for me. I have been listening to a lot of real estate podcasts and youtube videos. (how i stumbled upon biggerpockets). I am eager to get my feet wet in the real estate world, just not exactly sure where to start. I do not have the capital at the moment to invest into any type of real estate but i am starting a new job in August and want to develop a plan, therefore i can jump in and execute when I have the available capital. 


    Welcome to BP - you've definitely come to the right place - I'd recommend some of the books in the BP bookstore for next steps - particularly the BRRRR Method book by David Greene which is great and might be perfect for your situation


     Thank you! I will give it a look.

  • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

    It's good to dial up a plan and there are many former athletes crushing it in real estate right now. This statement though - "more importantly to escape the 9-5 jobs and create generational wealth" - you should be careful of or just make sure it's a long-term goal. Since you were an athlete, going into the 9 to 5 will seem even worse, but if you don't have the capital now, the 9 to 5 is the best way to keep producing capital over the years to fund more and more until you can match or exceed your work income with investment income.


    Your right. I did not mean to escape the 9-5 entirely at the beginning. But planning for the long term, I would like for my real estate portfolio to cover a 9-5 job in passive income. Overall, I am looking at real estate as a long term investment. 

  • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joseph Bui:

    Hi, I've been doing this for about 4 years and I have scaled to 9 doors across Memphis and Detroit. Always happy to make new connections and knowledge share if you are interested.


     whats up! How did you get started in this journey? what method did you pursue? 

  • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Benjamin Miller

    house hack sequentially every 1-2 years for 10 years


     yes! I am thinking about buying a duplex, fixing it up, living in one unit while renting out the other. However, they are not easy to find where I live. 

  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2023 · 362 posts · 237 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Benjamin Miller:
    Quote from @Joseph Bui:

    Hi, I've been doing this for about 4 years and I have scaled to 9 doors across Memphis and Detroit. Always happy to make new connections and knowledge share if you are interested.


     whats up! How did you get started in this journey? what method did you pursue? 


     I've scaled by doing both turnkey and BRRRRs. I'm also working on my first flip right now in Detroit.

  • Lender · 92703 · Member since 2022 · 326 posts · 538 votes
    2y

    Hello Benjamin, 

    Welcome to BP community. You will definitely find great information and resources here. First thing is to figure out your why? Then try to learn all the different ways you can invest in real estate. There's different strategies when investing in real estate. Long term buy and hold, mid term rentals, short term rentals, fix and flip, wholesale etc... Its almost endless opportunities. Once you learn more about all these different ways then choose the best one that you believe will be the best fit for you that fits your lifestyle and will help you accomplish your goals. Good luck in your journey. 

    @Albert Bui @Matthew Kwan

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 28 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Benjamin Miller:
    Quote from @Brittany Minocchi:

    What’s up @Benjamin Miller! 

    Welcome to the world of real estate investing. There are a ton of people on these forums willing to give advice and point you in the right direction :) are you planning to invest locally or out of state? 


     Personally, i am leaning towards investing out of state.. I live in California and the housing market is extremely expensive. 

    I hear you on out of state investing, I invest a fair amount in NC where you can still buy houses at 50-60k 2 miles from a Target...lol 
  • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brandon Becsi:
    Quote from @Benjamin Miller:
    Quote from @Brittany Minocchi:

    What’s up @Benjamin Miller! 

    Welcome to the world of real estate investing. There are a ton of people on these forums willing to give advice and point you in the right direction :) are you planning to invest locally or out of state? 


     Personally, i am leaning towards investing out of state.. I live in California and the housing market is extremely expensive. 

    I hear you on out of state investing, I invest a fair amount in NC where you can still buy houses at 50-60k 2 miles from a Target...lol 

    50-60k??? That is literally unheard of in California 
  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 28 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Benjamin Miller:
    Quote from @Brandon Becsi:
    Quote from @Benjamin Miller:
    Quote from @Brittany Minocchi:

    What’s up @Benjamin Miller! 

    Welcome to the world of real estate investing. There are a ton of people on these forums willing to give advice and point you in the right direction :) are you planning to invest locally or out of state? 


     Personally, i am leaning towards investing out of state.. I live in California and the housing market is extremely expensive. 

    I hear you on out of state investing, I invest a fair amount in NC where you can still buy houses at 50-60k 2 miles from a Target...lol 

    50-60k??? That is literally unheard of in California 

    Yea I know, Im in VA and still invest in VA for rentals but most the opportunity I have seen is in certain cities in NC. So thats my experience with out of state investing

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    2y

    @Benjamin Miller whether you have money or don't, your first challenge is researching what market to invest in and what property class.

    Then, even without money, you can still educate yourself about that market, so you really know what a "deal" looks like.
    -FYI: many people will try to sell you a "deal" that really isn't, just so they make money:(

    You may even find "deals' that you can wholesale to others and accelerate your savings.

  • Bradley BuxtonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NV · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 714 votes
    2y

    @Benjamin Miller

    There are a lot of good places to invest out of state. Each one has it's own strategy for success. Evaluate the numbers and your time energy lifestyle for managing rentals out of state and how those align with your why you're investing in RE.  It will take travel and many hours on the phone to find the right team in what ever area you decide to invest. For example The investors from CA that I work with like the Reno, NV area because of the close proximity to CA, tech investments, low property taxes, and landlord friendly. The capital to deploy higher than the Midwest but the margin dollars and compounding is higher.
    You will hit some grounders and homeruns and doing your due diligence will keep you from striking out.  

  • New to Real Estate · La Crosse, WI · Member since 2024 · 15 posts · 12 votes
    2y

    Welcome! From a fellow newbie.

    I work a 9-5 as well and plan on keeping my hospital job (Luckily, I am only part-time at this job but have the option to pick-up extra shifts or take extra call 📟). 

    There was a podcast episode that discussed having an income to fall back on in case things don’t work out (there will be some Ls along the way — all part of the journey.) 

    Been looking at deals and have an excel spreadsheet to analyze numbers (ROI, expenses, etc). I live in La Crosse, WI but have been eye-ing other Midwest states too.
     
    Good luck! This is a great place to learn, network and asks questions. 

  • Member since 2024 · 39 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Benjamin Miller:

    Hello! i am starting my real estate journey and I am interested in investing in real estate to create some passive income but more importantly to escape the 9-5 jobs and create generational wealth. I played professional baseball for 4 years and don't have any experience in the real estate world. But i know working a 9-5 for the next 25 years is not for me. I have been listening to a lot of real estate podcasts and youtube videos. (how i stumbled upon biggerpockets). I am eager to get my feet wet in the real estate world, just not exactly sure where to start. I do not have the capital at the moment to invest into any type of real estate but i am starting a new job in August and want to develop a plan, therefore i can jump in and execute when I have the available capital. 


     Evening Ben!!! I see you are new to wholesaling and ready to learn?!?!??! Is that right? 

  • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Juan Fernandez:
    Quote from @Benjamin Miller:

    Hello! i am starting my real estate journey and I am interested in investing in real estate to create some passive income but more importantly to escape the 9-5 jobs and create generational wealth. I played professional baseball for 4 years and don't have any experience in the real estate world. But i know working a 9-5 for the next 25 years is not for me. I have been listening to a lot of real estate podcasts and youtube videos. (how i stumbled upon biggerpockets). I am eager to get my feet wet in the real estate world, just not exactly sure where to start. I do not have the capital at the moment to invest into any type of real estate but i am starting a new job in August and want to develop a plan, therefore i can jump in and execute when I have the available capital. 


     Evening Ben!!! I see you are new to wholesaling and ready to learn?!?!??! Is that right? 

    Yes! Been looking into wholesaling as well
  • Member since 2024 · 39 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    That's awesome!!!! I have been doing it for 10 years FULL time this September. I have room 2! There is WAY to do this... a ... style... dance almost! If that makes sense. For example, MOST wholesalers, give offers.... right?!! WRONG! You have to be able to PRESENT offers!!!! There is a huge difference! Does that make sense?                                                                                                       

  • Member since 2024 · 225 posts · 86 votes
    1y

    hey @Benjamin Miller
    Welcome to the BP family. You’ve come to the right place to connect with some very smart investors

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.