Out-of-state landlord: best method to handle maintenance requests?

Out-of-state landlord: best method to handle maintenance requests?

Member since 2024 · 22 posts · 6 votes

I currently own a SFR in Houston which is managed by a property management company. But I recently purchased a triplex in Tucson, Arizona, which I plan to manage from out-of-state. I currently live in the Los Angeles metro area. I'm already using RentRedi to screen tenants, receive rent, deliver messages, but I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on either a software or virtual assistant type platform that helps them automate maintenance requests...

1Reply
76 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y

@Kelsey Vander Meulen, my advice is when you are small act like you are small and as you grow you can keep looking forward and evolve.

There are advantages to being small. I would try to understand and take advantage of those while you are small.

With 3 units being self managed its hardly worth automating something what may only happen ever couple months or so. 

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Kelsey Vander Meulen

    i am assuming this is not the answer you want but why not just hire a property manager?

  • Real Estate Agent · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2017 · 231 posts · 169 votes
    1y

    In my experience hiring a property manager is worth it for exactly this reason. I understand wanting to save money on the monthly fees, but when it comes to maintaining an investment that can very easily be devalued by deferred or poor maintenance it's worth it. 

  • Member since 2024 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    I figure if I want to scale my portfolio I should spend at least some time property managing. Also, I have a ton of family in Tucson, and I visit at least a few times a year. So it's really easy to delegate tasks to my family members or even perform tasks myself in-person. 

    I don't have any family in Houston unfortunately. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Hi @Kelsey Vander Meulen, I'm a local real estate agent in Houston and an investor myself. I'd be happy to see how I can help out!

    - Phil

  • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Kelsey Vander Meulen We use Buildium. Its a little more expensive but when our tenants put in maintenance requests we can simply forward those to our contractors. So as long as you take the time to add your handyman, plumber, electrician, HVAC company, etc into the software it should be as easy as the push of a button when the request comes in. 

    Usually, we have the contractor coordinate entry directly with the tenants. 

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Kelsey Vander Meulen, my advice is when you are small act like you are small and as you grow you can keep looking forward and evolve.

    There are advantages to being small. I would try to understand and take advantage of those while you are small.

    With 3 units being self managed its hardly worth automating something what may only happen ever couple months or so. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Kelsey Vander Meulen why not hire a PMC to manage two of the units and you DIY manage the 3rd?

    You can then compare what you're doing to the PMC and even use the PMC as an emergency backup as needed.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Kelsey Vander Meulen:

    RentRedi includes the ability for tenants to submit a maintenance request. You can monitor it throughout the process. There's not much to automate beyond that.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Kelsey Vander Meulen unless you have a great team lined up, especially someone who can address a burst pipe or damaged roof late night or on a Sunday, hire management. I self manage the one where my son still lives a mile away for emergencies and I’m 30 minutes out. For the ones out of state, I hired management. It’s more expensive but absolutely worth it, especially in late night/weekend emergency repair issues. Which is when they all seem to happen.

  • Member since 2024 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I guess it's such a small number of units that there likely isn't much to automate. 

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    You don't hire a PM for these small tasks-- as annoying as they are. You do for it the major tasks that appear and liability, these small tasks just are gravy for them to manage.

    Get a PM, you're saving pennies costing dollars.

  • Investor · Johns Island, SC · Member since 2014 · 120 posts · 41 votes
    1y

    Without a PM you can afford to pay top dollar for service professionals as needed.  Electrician, plumber, etc.  appliances are usually easier to replace.  Have contractors coordinate directly with tenant on repairs and do a few trips a year to catch all the loose ends.  

  • NJ · Member since 2024 · 207 posts · 91 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Phil Mai:

    Hi @Kelsey Vander Meulen, I'm a local real estate agent in Houston and an investor myself. I'd be happy to see how I can help out!

    - Phil

     Sent you a PM, Phil!

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Self-managing from out of state is not easy and you will need a really good team in place. Even though I have done it AND own a property management company I would hire a PM the next time I do it.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    You shouldn't have that many maintenance requests that you need an app or software.  Have a good group of people on the ground who you can call to fix things when something comes up.  Normally the only time you get a number of repairs is during turnover.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.