Beginner Looking for Guidance in This Space (Affordable Markets, Midwest & South)

Beginner Looking for Guidance in This Space (Affordable Markets, Midwest & South)

Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 7 votes

Hi everyone,

I’m a beginner real estate investor looking for guidance as I work toward purchasing my first rental property. I’ve done a lot of research, but now I’m taking action and need advice from experienced investors.

My Background & Current Progress:

• I’m working full-time while attending college, looking to start investing early to build wealth.

• I’m currently in Atlanta, GA, but I’m open to both in-state and out-of-state investing.

• I’ve started looking at affordable markets in the Midwest and South and have recently focused on Northwestern Pennsylvania after speaking with an agent there.

• I’m also in contact with a property manager in PA to ensure I have the right team in place.

• I’ve spoken with Sophia from BiggerPockets as a starting point and have watched a lot of YouTube videos, but I need guidance on taking the next steps.

Investment Criteria:

• Budget: Looking for a turnkey or move-in-ready property between $30K–$100K in the Midwest or South (PA & GA are my current focus).

• Down Payment: Planning to put down 15%–20% to keep my monthly payment low.

• Cash Flow: My goal is to keep total expenses at $600/month or less (including mortgage, taxes, insurance, and property management).

• Minimizing Debt: I want to avoid overleveraging and maximize cash flow from the start.

• Property Management: Since I’m investing out of state, I’ll be hiring a property manager to handle day-to-day operations.

Where I Need Guidance:

1. Best Markets in the Midwest & South – Are there better affordable areas I should be considering within my price range?

2. Finding Deals – What’s the best way to find turnkey or low-maintenance properties in this price range?

3. Financing Strategies – I’d like to put 15%–20% down—what’s the best way to secure a loan with manageable terms?

4. Avoiding Beginner Mistakes – What are the biggest pitfalls for a first-time investor, and how can I avoid them?

5. Working with Property Managers – What should I look for in a good property manager to ensure smooth operations?

I’m excited to get started and really appreciate any advice or insights from those who have been through this process. Thanks in advance!

Best,

Jardin

4Reply
86 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

@Jardin Gwin, this is probably not what you want to hear, but you're not ready to invest in real estate yet. The property will be in an absolute war zone at a price point of $30k—$100k. Feel free to take or leave my advice, but I think others will agree that, for now, you should focus on maximizing your savings rate, building your credit, paying off any owed debt, and house hack your first deal—just my two cents. In the meantime, start with REITs if you're gung-ho on investing. 

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jardin Gwin:

    Hi everyone,

    I’m a beginner real estate investor looking for guidance as I work toward purchasing my first rental property. I’ve done a lot of research, but now I’m taking action and need advice from experienced investors.

    My Background & Current Progress:

    • I’m working full-time while attending college, looking to start investing early to build wealth.

    • I’m currently in Atlanta, GA, but I’m open to both in-state and out-of-state investing.

    • I’ve started looking at affordable markets in the Midwest and South and have recently focused on Northwestern Pennsylvania after speaking with an agent there.

    • I’m also in contact with a property manager in PA to ensure I have the right team in place.

    • I’ve spoken with Sophia from BiggerPockets as a starting point and have watched a lot of YouTube videos, but I need guidance on taking the next steps.

    Investment Criteria:

    • Budget: Looking for a turnkey or move-in-ready property between $30K–$100K in the Midwest or South (PA & GA are my current focus).

    • Down Payment: Planning to put down 15%–20% to keep my monthly payment low.

    • Cash Flow: My goal is to keep total expenses at $600/month or less (including mortgage, taxes, insurance, and property management).

    • Minimizing Debt: I want to avoid overleveraging and maximize cash flow from the start.

    • Property Management: Since I’m investing out of state, I’ll be hiring a property manager to handle day-to-day operations.

    Where I Need Guidance:

    1. Best Markets in the Midwest & South – Are there better affordable areas I should be considering within my price range?

    2. Finding Deals – What’s the best way to find turnkey or low-maintenance properties in this price range?

    3. Financing Strategies – I’d like to put 15%–20% down—what’s the best way to secure a loan with manageable terms?

    4. Avoiding Beginner Mistakes – What are the biggest pitfalls for a first-time investor, and how can I avoid them?

    5. Working with Property Managers – What should I look for in a good property manager to ensure smooth operations?

    I’m excited to get started and really appreciate any advice or insights from those who have been through this process. Thanks in advance!

    Best,

    Jardin

     Hey @Jardin Gwin, welcome to the BP Forum! I hate to break it to you, but Pennsylvania is not in the Midwest. And using ATL as a sample market, something in your price range will probably need to be a condo or townhouse in order to be turnkey. Otherwise, any SFR will probably need a fair amount of rehab and/or be located in C/D neighborhoods.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Jardin Gwin, this is probably not what you want to hear, but you're not ready to invest in real estate yet. The property will be in an absolute war zone at a price point of $30k—$100k. Feel free to take or leave my advice, but I think others will agree that, for now, you should focus on maximizing your savings rate, building your credit, paying off any owed debt, and house hack your first deal—just my two cents. In the meantime, start with REITs if you're gung-ho on investing. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
    1y

    Hey Jardin,

    1. Being a bit biased here, but you might want to check out Ohio. Cities like Cleveland offer affordable properties, strong rental demand, and solid cash flow potential. Turnkey properties typically range from $100K–$300K, and the landlord laws are much more investor-friendly compared to other markets.

    2. Once you've chosen a market, focus on building your team. Start with an investor friendly agent who understands cash flow and appreciation trends. They can help you find discounted deals, which is key because off market properties often provide better cash flow than those listed.

    3. When it comes to financing, shop around and compare rates with investor friendly lenders. Since you're putting 15%-20% down, a conventional investment loan will likely be your best option. Be sure to ask about prepayment penalties, closing costs, and interest rate adjustments to secure the best long-term deal.

    4. Make sure you're factoring in all expenses when running numbers. Have realistic expectations and create a buffer for unexpected costs. Even if it slightly reduces cash flow, a good property manager is worth the investment. I’ve seen clients choose a cheaper PM despite warnings, only to deal with poor communication and headaches. A reliable PM can make or break your investment.

    5. When vetting property managers, prioritize referrals from agents or investor networks. If you’re sourcing one on your own, ask about their marketing strategy, tenant screening process, eviction procedures, and communication style. Also, find out their vacancy rates, local market info, and how they help out of state investors. 

    Overall, you're on the right track, asking the right questions as you figure out your strategy as you start. Best of luck in your journey. 

  • Ben FernandezBusiness Member
    Realtor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2025 · 169 posts · 97 votes
    1y

    You're going to have to locate markets that have a decent price to rent ratio. Cleveland and Pittsburg come to mind. 

    However, deferred maintenance is a key concern you need to keep front and center. Even if a property does cash flow well, an unplanned repair can remove years of cash flow. So, you either need to plan the repairs into your operating expenses so when it's time to repair/replace something you're prepared or you need to repair/upgrade at your entrance in order to put much less away per month for CapEx.

    If you need a CapEx calculator or a cash flow analysis calculator check InvestingTE. The rental property/cash flow calculator is free but the CapEx one isn't.

    The free rental property calculator also helps you identify the ideal purchase price range for any potential rental property using what the median income is for any zip code - that is pulled using city-data's website.

    Hope this helps! Feel free to connect anytime.

  • Real Estate Agent · Waxahachie, TX · Member since 2022 · 40 posts · 32 votes
    1y

    Jardin, with that price point you're aiming for and cash on hand, I would definitely recommend staying in your state and even the town you're in. I think spending some time and resources on learning the House-hack or Flip strategies would be a game changer. One of the best ways to enter into Real Estate with little cash is buying a duplex and living in one of the units! Plus you learn how to be landlord at the same time. I'm sure you could connect with students on campus who need a place to stay, lowering your chances for vacancy with the duplex you own. Just an idea!

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jardin Gwin:

    Hi everyone,

    I’m a beginner real estate investor looking for guidance as I work toward purchasing my first rental property. I’ve done a lot of research, but now I’m taking action and need advice from experienced investors.

    My Background & Current Progress:

    • I’m working full-time while attending college, looking to start investing early to build wealth.

    • I’m currently in Atlanta, GA, but I’m open to both in-state and out-of-state investing.

    • I’ve started looking at affordable markets in the Midwest and South and have recently focused on Northwestern Pennsylvania after speaking with an agent there.

    • I’m also in contact with a property manager in PA to ensure I have the right team in place.

    • I’ve spoken with Sophia from BiggerPockets as a starting point and have watched a lot of YouTube videos, but I need guidance on taking the next steps.

    Investment Criteria:

    • Budget: Looking for a turnkey or move-in-ready property between $30K–$100K in the Midwest or South (PA & GA are my current focus).

    • Down Payment: Planning to put down 15%–20% to keep my monthly payment low.

    • Cash Flow: My goal is to keep total expenses at $600/month or less (including mortgage, taxes, insurance, and property management).

    • Minimizing Debt: I want to avoid overleveraging and maximize cash flow from the start.

    • Property Management: Since I’m investing out of state, I’ll be hiring a property manager to handle day-to-day operations.

    Where I Need Guidance:

    1. Best Markets in the Midwest & South – Are there better affordable areas I should be considering within my price range?

    2. Finding Deals – What’s the best way to find turnkey or low-maintenance properties in this price range?

    3. Financing Strategies – I’d like to put 15%–20% down—what’s the best way to secure a loan with manageable terms?

    4. Avoiding Beginner Mistakes – What are the biggest pitfalls for a first-time investor, and how can I avoid them?

    5. Working with Property Managers – What should I look for in a good property manager to ensure smooth operations?

    I’m excited to get started and really appreciate any advice or insights from those who have been through this process. Thanks in advance!

    Best,

    Jardin



    1. Dayton and Cleveland meet your criteria.

    2. On the MLS or from off market deals from realtors/wholesalers.

    3. I have a good 10-15% down lender on rentals. 

    4. Underestimating rehab costs - get a contractor bid.

    5. Make sure they fit your communication style and prelease the units.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Jardin Gwin

    start with a house hack first.  this is the best of both worlds.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Jardin Gwin

    You're on the right track by researching and building a team before making your first investment! Since you're focusing on affordable markets in the Midwest and South, it's important to verify rental demand, property taxes, and local landlord laws. To find good deals, consider networking with agents and local investors, as well as using MLS, off-market listings, and auctions. For financing, shop around with local banks, credit unions, and mortgage brokers to secure favorable terms. Avoid common mistakes like underestimating expenses or overleveraging, and vet property managers carefully by checking reviews, references, and their management style.

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    Thank you for your feedback 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jardin Gwin:

    Hi everyone,

    I’m a beginner real estate investor looking for guidance as I work toward purchasing my first rental property. I’ve done a lot of research, but now I’m taking action and need advice from experienced investors.

    My Background & Current Progress:

    • I’m working full-time while attending college, looking to start investing early to build wealth.

    • I’m currently in Atlanta, GA, but I’m open to both in-state and out-of-state investing.

    • I’ve started looking at affordable markets in the Midwest and South and have recently focused on Northwestern Pennsylvania after speaking with an agent there.

    • I’m also in contact with a property manager in PA to ensure I have the right team in place.

    • I’ve spoken with Sophia from BiggerPockets as a starting point and have watched a lot of YouTube videos, but I need guidance on taking the next steps.

    Investment Criteria:

    • Budget: Looking for a turnkey or move-in-ready property between $30K–$100K in the Midwest or South (PA & GA are my current focus).

    • Down Payment: Planning to put down 15%–20% to keep my monthly payment low.

    • Cash Flow: My goal is to keep total expenses at $600/month or less (including mortgage, taxes, insurance, and property management).

    • Minimizing Debt: I want to avoid overleveraging and maximize cash flow from the start.

    • Property Management: Since I’m investing out of state, I’ll be hiring a property manager to handle day-to-day operations.

    Where I Need Guidance:

    1. Best Markets in the Midwest & South – Are there better affordable areas I should be considering within my price range?

    2. Finding Deals – What’s the best way to find turnkey or low-maintenance properties in this price range?

    3. Financing Strategies – I’d like to put 15%–20% down—what’s the best way to secure a loan with manageable terms?

    4. Avoiding Beginner Mistakes – What are the biggest pitfalls for a first-time investor, and how can I avoid them?

    5. Working with Property Managers – What should I look for in a good property manager to ensure smooth operations?

    I’m excited to get started and really appreciate any advice or insights from those who have been through this process. Thanks in advance!

    Best,

    Jardin

    Definitely recommend Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo, and Akron! Great markets that fit your budget

  • Yvette HardmonPro Member
    Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hi

    I would recommend Atlanta metro area doing a house hack. 

    Also look at the numbers for short term rentals.

    Note Atlanta has many events happening in the next couple of years. People will be looking for places to stay.

  • Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 146 posts · 72 votes
    1y

    You're on the right track! As an STR/MTR host & co-host in Metro Atlanta, I’d recommend house hacking a duplex to start. For affordable markets, Cleveland, Dayton, and South GA can cash flow well, but watch for maintenance issues.

    For financing, check local banks/credit unions for better investor terms, and vet property managers carefully—they can make or break your deal. Happy to chat if you need insights!

  • Elyse SarneckyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Detroit, MI · Member since 2024 · 47 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    @Jardin Gwin, great to see you're taking action early! You’re asking the right questions, and while some people will tell you to wait, I’d argue that getting started with a well-planned approach is the best way to learn.

    A few insights to help guide you:

    ✅ Best Markets in the Midwest & South:
    You’re on the right track looking at PA and GA, but I’d expand your search to include Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Indianapolis, and Birmingham. These markets have better price-to-rent ratios and strong rental demand.

    ✅ Finding Deals:
    For your price range, MLS, investor-friendly agents, and local wholesalers will be your best bet. Also, check land bank programs in Ohio or local auctions—just be sure to factor in any deferred maintenance costs.

    ✅ Financing Strategies:
    With 15-20% down, your best option is a conventional investment loan through a local lender or credit union. Many investors also use portfolio lenders or DSCR loans for better terms. If you’re struggling with financing, look into FHA house hacking for a multi-family property.

    ✅ Avoiding Beginner Mistakes:
    Biggest pitfalls? Underestimating repair costs, ignoring property taxes & insurance, and trusting bad property managers. Always verify numbers, have a CapEx reserve, and hire a reliable PM (not the cheapest one).

    ✅ Working with Property Managers:
    Make sure they pre-screen tenants properly, have a clear eviction process, and communicate well. Ask for references and check online reviews.

    Final Thoughts

    You’re ahead of the game by researching and networking early. Keep running the numbers conservatively, focus on cash flow first, and don’t rush into a deal just to get started.

    Happy to answer any follow-up questions!

  • Lancaster, NY · Member since 2021 · 92 posts · 53 votes
    1y

    One of the biggest beginner mistakes? Not screening tenants properly. A bad tenant can cost you thousands in lost rent, property damage, and legal fees. Since you’re planning to invest out of state and hire a property manager, don’t assume they will handle screening thoroughly—you should set the standard yourself.

    Here’s what a strong tenant screening process should include:

    🔹 ID Verification – Confirms the applicant is who they claim to be, reducing fraud risk.

    🔹 Judgments & Liens Search – These no longer appear on credit reports, but they can reveal unpaid debts, past landlord disputes, or court-ordered judgments.

    🔹 Eviction & Rental History – Past evictions are the strongest predictor of future rental issues. Ensure this search covers nationwide records.

    🔹 Criminal Background Check – A comprehensive, nationwide search helps flag potential safety concerns.

    🔹 Income Verification – Pay stubs and bank statements can be faked. Use a system that verifies actual bank deposits over the last 12 months to confirm financial stability.

    🔹 Credit Check – Useful, but not the full picture. A high score doesn’t guarantee timely rent payments, and a low score doesn’t always mean an unqualified tenant.

    Out-of-state investing requires extra diligence. Your best protection is ensuring whoever you or your property manager places in your property is properly vetted. Don’t cut corners on screening—it’s the best insurance for your investment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.