It seems, when I am looking at duplexes to buy, the one that are rented are below market. Why does someone do that?
I found a property in my hometown that I will manage from another state. I have support in my hometown and can get maintenance issues handled fast. I am looking at a duplex with below market renter in one side and vacant in the other. The area is at the cusp of gentrification. I firmly believe in next 5 years this area will be " Highly desirable" for young professionals that like walking into downtown (Wilmington) having there social life near by.
I know what I need to rent out at to make cash flow . Where do I find data to find out the rent? My agent is a go getter. She is local. She said the area is still a little "sketch" but is improving.
It seems, when I am looking at duplexes to buy, the one that are rented are below market. Why does someone do that?
I found a property in my hometown that I will manage from another state. I have support in my hometown and can get maintenance issues handled fast. I am looking at a duplex with below market renter in one side and vacant in the other. The area is at the cusp of gentrification. I firmly believe in next 5 years this area will be " Highly desirable" for young professionals that like walking into downtown (Wilmington) having there social life near by.
I know what I need to rent out at to make cash flow . Where do I find data to find out the rent? My agent is a go getter. She is local. She said the area is still a little "sketch" but is improving.
let me hear your thoughts
thanks
Hi @Charlotte Goodman! Are you talking about a duplex like this one: 304 Marstellar St, Wilmington, NC 28401?
Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
9mo
You’re asking the right questions, Charlotte—below‑market rents on tenant‑occupied duplexes are common because owners avoid turnover or haven’t kept up with market. Two quick tips: verify rent with on‑the‑ground data (PM rent comps, recent leases, and active listings nearby) and check lease terms plus local rules so you know how and when you can raise to market.
What rent range are you seeing for renovated units on that block, and what are the current lease terms on the occupied side?
Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9mo
Your agent should be able to pull rents, but be weary, most agents are boobs. You can check Zillow, Rent o Meter, and a few others will give you a ballpark number. You can call PM's to get their opinion. I can normally get an owner with in a $200 range within 5 minutes of researching the property.
Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 562 posts · 377 votes
9mo
It's actually really common to see duplexes (and small multis in general) rented below market when they hit the MLS. Most small landlords don't operate like investors — they avoid turnover, they don't raise rents annually, and they're often happy just having a "good, quiet tenant" instead of maximizing NOI. By the time they sell, rents can be years behind the market.
That’s not necessarily a red flag — in a lot of cases, it’s actually an opportunity if you understand the area and have a plan for turning the property over.
You’re already thinking in the right direction with the gentrification piece. When a neighborhood sits on the edge of redevelopment, walkability improves, retail follows, and the tenant base shifts. That “sketchy but improving” description is exactly how many great investment neighborhoods start.
As for figuring out true market rent, here are a few reliable places to pull data:
• Zillow, Zumper, and Apartments.com — filter specifically for units similar to yours (bed/bath, square footage, amenities).
• Facebook Marketplace and local rental groups — this often gives you the real on-the-ground pricing.
• Rentometer — a quick high-level check, but don’t use it alone.
• Your local property managers — they usually know the exact rent ceiling for that block.
• Walk the comps — literally look at anything for rent within a half-mile radius and see condition vs. price.
What you want is a cluster of similar units renting for the number you need — not one random outlier.
The fact that one side is vacant is a bonus. You can bring that unit up to full market rent immediately without touching the below-market tenant. Then, whenever that tenant eventually turns over, you bring the second side up as well.
Wilmington, NC · Member since 2024 · 13 posts · 3 votes
9mo
Generally a great realtor will have very accurate input on rents off the top of their head or with some research. Other tools and sites like rentometer can be helpful as well. But your local MLS usually answers the question.