Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Philip Bach
  • Tallahassee, FL
Votes |
New college grad here - RE or corporate life?

Philip Bach
  • Tallahassee, FL
Posted May 9 2014, 19:38

So I just graduated from Florida State University with a BS in economics. I've been interviewing for different jobs in sales and I think I've locked down a pretty good gig in Ft. Lauderdale, FL in sales and recruitment.

But I've been a disciple of Bigger Pockets for the last couple of months, listening to many of the podcasts, learning all that I can about RE and RE investing, and reading books like Rich Dad, Poor Dad and The Richest Man in Babylon. I've been sold on the dream of financial freedom and living your own lifestyle by means of passive income through investment.

So basically I'm looking at a job with a secure salary and great benefits, compared to an opportunity with a RE wholesaling company which is 100% commission-based, essentially starting out on my own compiling a buyers and sellers list with no benefits and really, no guarantee of success. But it can be my learning foundation in Real Estate and investing and I can really learn a lot from it.

I'm 22 years old and at a crossroads in my life. I'm torn between beginning a career in the corporate life where I can make some good money, or I can take a risk and begin chasing my dream of financial freedom and early retirement in Real Estate.

Any advice on the pros and cons of each? Is it smart to jump into Real Estate with not a whole lot of savings/capital? How did you guys get into RE? Any tips and advice would be helpful.

Loading replies...