I am a new investor that came across Thach Nguyen's Springboardtowealth program. I follow Thach on social, and he seems to offer some good tips & regularly markets his program. It is a very expensive program, so I wanted to post on here and see if anyone has gone through his program and would recommend it? I am looking to take initiative and hoping to learn some actionable steps that will help me make my initial investment & plan out my long-term strategy. Any input on his program from those that have any experience with it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if the consensus is that I stay away from his program, I am wondering what tools you all would recommend besides books/YouTube to get real exposure & learn actionable steps to get into real estate.
Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6mo
It seems to me that the core competency of gurus is promotion and marketing. You have no idea if they are a skilled operator. They seem to be best at selling courses and raising money. Someone starting really needs to talk to an investor that owns 1-5 properties rather than a guru.
I have nothing to sell and would be happy to help if you want to reach out. My background is in live-in flips, long term, short term, and mid term rentals.
I am a new investor that came across Thach Nguyen's Springboardtowealth program. I follow Thach on social, and he seems to offer some good tips & regularly markets his program. It is a very expensive program, so I wanted to post on here and see if anyone has gone through his program and would recommend it? I am looking to take initiative and hoping to learn some actionable steps that will help me make my initial investment & plan out my long-term strategy. Any input on his program from those that have any experience with it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if the consensus is that I stay away from his program, I am wondering what tools you all would recommend besides books/YouTube to get real exposure & learn actionable steps to get into real estate.
Thank you all in advance!
He is cool but I would be weary before joining a 'guru'. Most things you can learn here on biggerpockets. The only thing i would ever pay for is a mastermind. I know 2 that are very good that I am planning on joining myself. I think they are over $10k but show you how to grow as a multi-family millionaire.
I own 28 rental units and have sold over 225+ investment properties. I feel pretty seasoned but there is never an end to learning. I think the next way to grow is by going into the commercial space (warehouse space, strip plaza) just simply larger multi-family.
Full time investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 405 posts · 312 votes
6mo
Gentlemen, I would consider other asset classes. MF is very saturated and deals are not penciling out because there is always someone willing to over pay for deals. Smaller niche MF could work if you have a competitive advantage (localized knowledge, broker relations etc)
I would recommend retial, office and light industrial (not flex). Been doing this for almost 20 years.
Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6mo
It seems to me that the core competency of gurus is promotion and marketing. You have no idea if they are a skilled operator. They seem to be best at selling courses and raising money. Someone starting really needs to talk to an investor that owns 1-5 properties rather than a guru.
I have nothing to sell and would be happy to help if you want to reach out. My background is in live-in flips, long term, short term, and mid term rentals.
Full time investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 405 posts · 312 votes
6mo
I have interviewed hundereds of sindicators over the last several years. I have also had the opportunity to hang out with a **** ton of gurus and capital raisers. Here is what I see:
Most capital raisers are full of it! I have literally shared the stage and had my jaw drop when these social media superstars claim they own $50-100m worth of apartments, hotels and build to rents. In reality I know their net worth is under $1m and they don't have any direct ownership of the properties in which they claim. They build an online persona with vacations and nonsense to build an audience.
Don't get me started on gurus! Most of the TOP gurus have the same story! They learned in the heyday of RE that people are willing to pay for education. They built a massive coaching machine and they are no longer on the streets doing deals. Quite honestly, if someone has a sales and marketing team for their coaching program, I would run. What is also nonsense is when one of their students has an epic loss, they distance themselves from that individual, instead of helping them.
I have ran into tons of "students" who started with a weekend or week long bootcamp, then signed up for the $30k mastermind. When they came out on the other end ill equipped to do deals, they were told they have to go to level two for another $30-50k. When they emerge with some confidence but are still unable to do deals, they are told they need to enroll in the private coaching program for $75k. The killer is this is with a paid coach and not the actual guru.
Human nature wants us to believe that if we pay for something and are asked about it, we justify it. I have spent money on $1000/hour coaches and I caught myself doing the same thing. No one wants to admit they got duped.
Now someone will call me out because I have a coaching program but I do not advertise it. It is pretty much invitation or referral only. It is also less than 3% of what I do. We are still out on the streets doing deals everyday. We have also never had a single student lost money on a commercial (non-residential) deal. I have been in this industry for almost 20 years and once rates went up, the party was over and many who had an epic rise were exposed.
Last piece of advise, ask for several references before joining. Ask for a list of 10-30 people and you pick and choose who to call before joining a program. Interview people who are new and people who have been through other masterminds. Find folks who have been in for a while and have not done a deal and find out why. Find people who have had deals go South and find out if there was a lack of support and oversight.