Has anyone ever shadowed or apprenticed with a mentor before starting? (Denver, CO)

Has anyone ever shadowed or apprenticed with a mentor before starting? (Denver, CO)

Englewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 0 votes

I am a student who just started up my own REI enterprise and have so many questions. Since this is such a new experience for me I am wondering if its appropriate to shadow or assist a more experienced investor before starting out on my own. Please let me know if this is a normal arrangement or... if you are in Denver and looking for an assistant please let me know.

0Reply
27 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Braden Silverman A lot of this will depend on your knowledge, skills, and experiences.  Do you have any experience with any of the following/

    owning a house

    building or remodeling a house

    "trades" classes in HS or voe-tech school

    business management

    project management

    accounting

    sales

    marketing

    engineering

    real estate

    general people skills

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    12y

    Its somewhat common, if you find the right person.  Most people pay for this type of arrangement, but if you find the right person you can 'apprentice' under them.  I did this when starting out, and it was a huge benefit for sure, got free education doing crappy jobs for investors.

    If you are in town 7/28 and want to catch the local networking meetup in Denver for BP, I'll be posting the thread today for where/when/etc.

    Anson

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    12y

    Just posted it, actually:  http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521-events-and-happenings/topics/136307-denver-july-28th-meetup

  • Englewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bryan L.:

    @Braden Silverman A lot of this will depend on your knowledge, skills, and experiences.  Do you have any experience with any of the following/

    owning a house

    building or remodeling a house

    "trades" classes in HS or voe-tech school

    business management

    project management

    accounting

    sales

    marketing

    engineering

    real estate

    general people skills


    I am currently a senior pursuing my bachelors in finance so I have a decent grasp on the numbers and business end. I do not know the remodeling/construction side of it and would love to learn.

    @Anson Thank you very much. I will definitely be there!

  • Englewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Obviously I don't know how to quote, but thank you for the info.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Braden Silverman - Some of the best experience that you will ever get is to buy a house for yourself.  I'm talking about to live in - not an investment.  Buy one that needs a little work and get a good deal on it.  And fix it up.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · York, UK · Member since 2013 · 895 posts · 453 votes
    12y

    @Braden Silverman you'll find lots of advice about mentorship throughout the BP site. I had good luck finding a fellow broker/investor who was willing to walk me through a deal and we're now finding other ways to work together. come to the meetup and put yourself out there and you'll find the right match.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.