Opening an LLC in one state and buying property in another.

2 Replies

I'm new to real estate and bigger pockets I have a question regarding LLC's. If for example I live in Atlanta, GA and hold my LLC there but I buy property in lets say OH; can I then hold the OH property in the Atlanta GA LLC?

yes you can.  And you'll be liable for taxes in both states!  I am not a financial advisor or attorney but I pay them to help me.  They have advised me to title properties in the state they are held to avoid double tax.  Disclaimer:  consult your local professionals to answer state specific questions.

Mark Updegraff, Real Estate Agent in NY (#10491205428)

Hi Anthony,

Yes, you absolutely can buy property with your home state LLC in another state. You will need to have a registered agent in every state that you want to conduct business. The reason for this is in the event of any kind of registered mail or legal notice that needs to be served to your company, there needs to e a physical address and person to sign for and receive these notifications. You can Google registered agents and you will find many services available to choose from for this. I pay about $100 per year per state for my registered agent service.

Have a Great Day

Derek Dombeck

Derek Dombeck

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.