New licensee

5 Replies

Hey everyone! My name is Nick and I am 21 years old and am from Sherman, TX (about an hour north of Dallas). I am about to take my exam for my salesmen license and am excited to jump feet first into real estate investment. I plan on using the MLS and other sources for basic residential deals until I have enough capital to begin investing in cash flow properties. Any advice for a newbie? Any and all is welcome! Thanks BP. Nick Salafia

Hi @Nick Salafia

Welcome to BiggerPockets. I know this site will be beneficial for your real estate quests. Best of wishes on your exams.

Welcome @Nick Salafia . My one piece of advice is that even though you're planning on getting your license, you may still want to use a Realtor during your first investment property purchase. Not only is there no additional commission on the buyer's side, but it will be a great way to start off, meeting the right people and having assistance with the entire purchase process along the way.

You might also want to check out the Real Estate Agent forum.

Hi @Nick Salafia

Yes getting your real estate license is a good choice as it can help you find properties and give you access to the MLS.

I've been a agent/broker/ and I have flipped for 7 years. Getting your license is an awesome move especially where you live. The mls will help you a lot but the real deals are not found on mls often. Marketing to bankruptcy lawyers and estate lawyers will help a lot even pre foreclosure list. Good luck it's an awesome business!

Oh wow!  You're the only other person from Sherman I've ever seen on here.  Welcome to BP!  I'd love to talk to you more about the Sherman area some time.  Sending you a request.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here