New member from Jersey city, NJ & NYC

New member from Jersey city, NJ & NYC

Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 4 votes

Dear fellow BP members,

I am a newbie in NJ/NYC area just starting out in REI(buy & hold). I am a software engineer in my day job. My field, contrary to popular belief, drains out the life out of people, so I am seeking opportunities to get passive income from other sources and after reading a few general & RE specific books and listening to BP podcasts, I landed here. Have to say, Great content and community here so far.

Hatsoff to @Brandon Turner and @Joshua D. - Great job guys ! Totally appreciate your efforts and down-to-earth attitude.

I am currently looking to invest in my first buy & hold rental property. Unfortunately, my area being near NYC is too expensive for the math to work out favorably so I'm looking for properties within driving range(NJ/NY/PA/MD/VA/CT). To keep maintenance low, I am thinking of buying a well kept property using a property manager for my 1st rental and want to get into rehabbing & other avenues once I have some experience. Ideally, a 2-3BR SFR or a small multi family (2-4 units) in a safe area in above states in good condition and not too old (built after 1960s) with good cashflow and appreciation chances is what I am looking for, hopefully with occupied tenants.

Location wise, an alternate thought is to find properties in developing cities in other states such as NC (Charlotte, Raliegh), TX(Dallas/Austin), AZ(Phoenix) etc where I can fly out if needed but the thought of remote investing out of state is frightening me after reading the property manager horror stories.

Unlike a lot of people who come in excited and slide off after their 1st post, I am generally persistent about my ambitions and goals in life.

Hence, I am looking for a good team to form my network, especially for long term strategy and execution. If you are an experienced investor, realtor, property manager, turn-key rental provider or serve in any other capacity, contact me as I would like to bounce some ideas and work together. If you are nearby my area, we can meet in person.

Lastly, I have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer :

(1) Is my location/criteria above too narrow or too broad ?

(2) What are some ideal places/zipcodes in the above cities/states that are worth diving into ?

- I have a few for each city that I found interesting, should I create a new post for each city for further discussion?

(3) What do I need to know before my 1st deal so I won't screw up ?

- I know this is vague and I've read the rules of thumb (2%, 50% etc) and general red flags, but hoping you can mention some mistakes to avoid / link some posts so that others can avoid those mistakes.

Feel free to let me know if I missed anything obvious or ask any question so I can clarify more.

Also, there are a few ways I can contribute to the community here, but if someone has any thoughts, let me know so I can do something useful.

Looking forward to great things,

Sunny

1Reply
76 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Ridgewood, NJ · Member since 2015 · 114 posts · 43 votes
10y

@Sunny K. welcome to BP, you certainly found an excellent source for guys just starting out(myself included)!  To answer your questions to my current knowledge: 

(1) Is my location/criteria above too narrow or too broad ?

-I'd say there's nothing wrong with digging deeper and research each of those areas but definitely you'll want to narrow in on a certain county(s) for your first few(my opinon).  Think about how much travel you'd like(i.e. a water heater breaks in Texas rental and you need to be on site for an eviction in NC the same time).  Maybe once you have a few in one area then snatch up another and start over so you have groupings in some hot areas?  

(2) What are some ideal places/zipcodes in the above cities/states that are worth diving into ?

- I have a few for each city that I found interesting, should I create a new post for each city for further discussion?

-I'd really narrow down the criteria you're looking for with cash flow you'd like, budget, vacancy you can afford, repairs your willing to do yourself etc...Personally, I know theres a few areas that are hot now from Montclair NJ to Bloomfield NJ.   

(3) What do I need to know before my 1st deal so I won't screw up 

-I havent done one yet so I cant speak to loudly about this but I'd just say to know the numbers until you're blue in the face.  Make sure you have done your homework on that house and know every piece of information you can in the area and have a good network of people local to bounce things off of.  (Feel free to PM if you're interested in meetups in NJ)

        I wish you the best of luck and congrats again on taking your first step by posting and taking action.  Everyone is very helpful here and dont hesitate to reach out.

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Hey @Sunny K. thanks for introducing yourself! It's great to have you here! Great questions and you might want to jump in the forums as well as check the #AskBP podcasts: http://biggerpockets.com/askbp

    Some of the questions have been answered there. Subscribe to our Youtube Account too, I'm posting videos regularly now: https://www.youtube.com/user/BiggerPockets

    Be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts- especially for "Jersey City" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

    Thanks again for introducing yourself!

  • Wholesaler · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 269 posts · 66 votes
    10y
    Sunny K. I'm here in Charlotte but also do business in the raleigh/durham area feel free to reach out if I can be of any help...
  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Hey Sunny!

    Your story sounds a lot like mine was. I was an aerospace engineer (god bless my software engineer friends who were constantly pulling me out of computer pickles) and I live in LA so same price/returns problem here has in NY. I ended up buying all out-of-state.

    In terms of your questions, I'll answer some generically more than specifically. 

    The biggest thing you want to understand above all other things, or at least understand first, is the numbers. Some of the markets you mention aren't going to give you cash flow right now (Phoenix being the big one....it used to be huge for cash flow and now it's pretty much zero). So for numbers, check out-

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/01/1...

    I'd say the next big thing after that, although the markets you mention don't go against this, is market fundamentals. Making sure you are buying in a growth market. So you're good there, just remember it if you drift markets any.

    There are other things to know, for sure, but those are the biggest I think. Then for out-of-state you really just want to make sure the team you have working on your property(ies) is absolutely awesome. Otherwise you can get in trouble.

    Hope that helps!

    Ali

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Thanks folks !  @Audrey Truesdale - Will hit you up. Whats the best way to reach you ? 

    @Ali Boone - Thanks for the detailed reply Ali, Appreciate it. Whats the best way to reach you ?

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Sunny K.

    Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    To find out about an area go to IREM.org search for ARM certified property managers. Call 5 ask them what they see expenses running per category per unit. What do they see them selling for per unit, what is the market occupancy rate. What are the market rents? Ask them if they know anything coming up for sale. Great way to pick up some good info and possibly a deal.

    You can also search NARPM.org for the RMP (Residential Management Professional) and MPM (Master Property Manager) certified.Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Paul Timmins@Paul Timminsfor taking the time to reply, great tips, I have checked out the first 2 links and the podcasts, will checkout the rest.

  • Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes
    10y

    @Sunny K. welcome to BP! Best/first thing to do is get educated. Read read read! Read books on investing in real estate, listen to the podcasts, attend webinars and stay active on the forums while connecting with other investors in your area and pick a niche. Best of luck

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    10y
  • Gastonia, NC · Member since 2016 · 124 posts · 45 votes
    10y
    Welcome Sunny K. Audrey Truesdale is o good contact here in Charlotte. Also look up Curtis Waters as a turn key investor here as well.
  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the tip @Tomas Chao, will connect with them. Love BP with the helpful members !

  • West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Sunny K. , wish you the best of luck! I am originally from Jersey City, Lived there all my life. Now I currently live in West Palm Beach Florida were I plan on beginning to invest in real estate here, maybe we can connect at some point down the line if you ever decide to reach out this far, I definitely have plans on investing in Jersey City at some point! =)
  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2016 · 145 posts · 67 votes
    10y

    Palm Beach County is really hot and interesting for investors. many areas are improving and south Florida has a good outlook for future appreciation.

    Good luck!

  • West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Jorge Zea , That's one of the reasons why I moved down !! Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Andrew Martinez, would love to connect. Whats the best way to reach you? @Jorge Zea : Good to know, since I like florida and would love to invest there too. Any specific locations/zips to dive into ? Thx for the tip, would contact you shortly :) 

  • Royal Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 127 posts · 44 votes
    10y

    Palm Beach County is on fire! Check this out, sold for $32k over asking and they closed in 30 days. This is who were competing with here in West Palm Beach.

  • Real Estate Agent · Ridgewood, NJ · Member since 2015 · 114 posts · 43 votes
    10y

    @Sunny K. welcome to BP, you certainly found an excellent source for guys just starting out(myself included)!  To answer your questions to my current knowledge: 

    (1) Is my location/criteria above too narrow or too broad ?

    -I'd say there's nothing wrong with digging deeper and research each of those areas but definitely you'll want to narrow in on a certain county(s) for your first few(my opinon).  Think about how much travel you'd like(i.e. a water heater breaks in Texas rental and you need to be on site for an eviction in NC the same time).  Maybe once you have a few in one area then snatch up another and start over so you have groupings in some hot areas?  

    (2) What are some ideal places/zipcodes in the above cities/states that are worth diving into ?

    - I have a few for each city that I found interesting, should I create a new post for each city for further discussion?

    -I'd really narrow down the criteria you're looking for with cash flow you'd like, budget, vacancy you can afford, repairs your willing to do yourself etc...Personally, I know theres a few areas that are hot now from Montclair NJ to Bloomfield NJ.   

    (3) What do I need to know before my 1st deal so I won't screw up 

    -I havent done one yet so I cant speak to loudly about this but I'd just say to know the numbers until you're blue in the face.  Make sure you have done your homework on that house and know every piece of information you can in the area and have a good network of people local to bounce things off of.  (Feel free to PM if you're interested in meetups in NJ)

            I wish you the best of luck and congrats again on taking your first step by posting and taking action.  Everyone is very helpful here and dont hesitate to reach out.

  • Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    @Sunny K. Best way to start investing in real estate is to house hack - live in 1/2 and rent out the other. Do you own your own home? After this step, you can look into an investment property, with some savings for down payment. Obviously, look for below market deals that you can bring value to. 

    I would suggest to start in your local market right here in Hudson County - Jersey City, Bayonne, Newark, Harrison, Kearny, Union City etc. As a new investor, you'll find that investing out of state in a new market is a huge risk. Although lots of savvy investors do this very well. G luck!

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    If you are in the market to fix and flip let me know, have some invetory.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    You can either PM me on here or email me directly anytime. Happy to chat!

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Renae Hottle : Thanks, but too new to fix and flip. Currently, want to get my feet wet using Buy and hold. May be a few months down the road :)

    @Ali Boone - Thanks, will do !

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Sounds good, good luck and if you need any help just let me know :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.