Starting out- Go big or go home?

Starting out- Go big or go home?

Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes

Hi, we're going to be looking into investing in buy and hold SFR. Everythings approximated because I'm in the very first stages, as in deciding if we're really going to do this. But say we decide to bite the bullet. By the end of August we should have everything in order. About $50000 cash, decent credit and 25% DTI. Is it better to put the 20% down on one house (approx $180000), or 10% on two with the hopes of getting LPMI. Say we put 20% on one, leaving a 144000 loan at 4.25%, payment $708, tax and ins $200. Trash and water? 80ish. Rents for $1400, about $400 cash flow. Remember all estimates, numbers could be more or less. Now in theory say we do two at $180000 with 10% down on each, leaving 162000 on each at 4.5 (higher for LPMI). Payments would be 820 plus tax ins and utilities, bring it to $1100 each, rents for $1400. Leaving $300 cash flow each. So is two better than one? It it too much to start? More cash flow rules right? We aren't dependant on cash flow, I'm thinking college tuition or retirement, so setting ourselves up for at least 10 years in the future. Not opposed to selling when opportunity knocks or any other reason.

0Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
10y

Hi Michelle, 

I'm thinking that you should meet with a variety of investors and really start educating yourself on the ins and outs of real estate prior to going in on this investment. From a couple of comments in this thread, I question if you are as close to the reality of qualifying for conventional financing and ready to buy as you might think right now. For example, you mention you don't have a paying job right now. Do you have prior landlording experience? If not, you may find that you have trouble financing the properties, even with the sizable chunk of cash you have saved for the downpayment. Will you have a co-signer or income source that will help the lender out? I'd get on the phone with a few to make sure that you stand ready to purchase property right now. 

Regardless of whether you are presently qualified, I would begin absorbing lots of information on real estate investing. Books, the BP Podcast, etc. You need to be able to speak the language and understand the pros and cons of the different strategies, then make a choice about what works best in your personal situation. For example, my strategy of buying properties, managing them myself for several years, and once the cash flow grows to an acceptable level, outsourcing management may not work for you if you don't want to manage yourself. Or, you may want more or fewer units. You may find that you can't make those decisions reliably until you've soaked up many stories from many investors. 

I will punctuate by saying that if I could buy $200K in real estate in Pueblo, I'd be looking for as much cash flow as I could get. 

See this reply in the discussion

79 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @Michelle Melchione

    Alas, 15% down is the bare minimum for SFR investment property purchases that you are likely to find. Interest rate pricing isn't particularly attractive.

    $50k.... any reason you don't have your eyes on an entry level multi-unit? 

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Well, having more tenants seems like more work and vacancies. Also a family who can afford a SFR in theory is less likely to flight by night, be late on rent, destoy things. Also my grandma has mostly SFRs and she's always been the most successful person I know, not that I know many. Although I don't really know all the ins and outs of what she owns and why, I've never thought to ask, because I've never thought I'd have money to invest. It's all very sudden, so I'm not set on anything, yesterday I thought duplexes or 4 plexes are the way to go, but the last article I read made it sound like SFR is the way to go. But it does also seem like 90% of people say Multi is the way to go. So I'm on opinion overload right now. Also my grandma may have a house she'd sell me (we didn't discuss details), and she said she could manage a property for me. I could probably manage myself as I don't have a paying job, but I'm 2 hours away in Denver and she already offered, so why not?

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @Chris M. Have you had both?

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    I don't think my tag worked.

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Also if I dont pay of my cars and cc's we still have 19/32 DTI, and an additional $25000. So if we had to theres that option.

  • Investor · Claremont, CA · Member since 2014 · 150 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Hey @Michelle Melchione Yeah I think @Chris Mason is right. it kind of limits your choices that 15% down is the minimum so it kind of makes your choice for you.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 267 votes
    10y
    Michelle Melchione spread is good, but you could be doing better. My investors are seeing around 18% a year. On $50,000, that make about $9,000/year. That's $750/month completely hands off. SFH are great and are what me mostly go after, especially in your area. If you analyze some deals, you could get better returns. Just type @ and start putting the name. Their full name and pick will POP up. Click on it and it will put them in it.
  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @Robert Herrera 1. Yeah tagging still not working 2. 18% sounds too good to be true, what risks are involved? Thats through REIT right? I would need to do research. I'm not looking to just throw my money at something, I can sit on it for a while if need be. How does it work? How do you protect your original investment? Can you take it out if you want?

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Okay say I go after 2 SFR (or two duplexes, which can be found in Pueblo)at 150000 each with 15 down, is that too much? If you were me what would you do? Obviously it depends on the actual deals, but should I start with one since I've never invested in anything? Or try to get two for more cash flow? The goal is making as much as I can with what I have to start. Is that biting off more than I can probably chew? Theoretically two is better than one right?

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 267 votes
    10y
    Michelle Melchione Cashflow is best. That money an go toward more properties of you don't want to pay your bills with it. What makes these properties your looking at worth that much? Contact an agent and see what else is out there. You can find good deals in Pueblo that will cashflow a lot better. My partners and I buy SFH in the area. We rent them out and get good returns.
  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Nothing, that just what Im seeing them priced at on realtor..com. Which are probably market value which wouldn't make them a good deal. I'm just talking theoretically. Maybe I find some deals half that price, I haven't looked for any actual properties for analysis since I dont have my game plan in stone.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 267 votes
    10y
    Let's say you buy a 3/2 for $50,000 cash. It rents for $925/month. Minus taxes $40/month, minus insurance $60/month. That's $825/month profit. That's about 20%. Subtract what you need for a management company, etc, and you have your return.
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 267 votes
    10y
    That's just a base deal. We leverage mortgages for more cashflow dollars. Not to say you can always find that low of a cost property, there are still great deals out there.
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Michelle Melchione,

    Something to consider about SFR vs MFR/MFC rentals:

    With SFR, 1 vacancy = 100% vacancy

    With MFR/MFC, x vacancies = x / number-of-units % vacancy.

    My $0.02...

    David J Dachtera

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 267 votes
    10y
    David Dachtera yes, but none of that matters if you use lease options. You will actually make a bigger rate of return when they move out.
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Robert Herrera,

    Not sure how useful lease option would be for a multi-family property...

    Even with a SFR, you still have expenses when the property is vacant.

    David J Dachtera

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Hey @David Dachtera (I'm usually not computer illiterate but I can't figure out tagging without being colleagues), makes sense, but my grandma's owned and developed houses there for 20+ years and assures me the kinds of houses she gets rent out within a day of placing her ad, and she gets at least 10+ applications. I have no other model to look to, so I trust my grandma, but I didn't grow up around her that much so I've never probed her for her business information, which I will do soon to have a clearer picture of how she built and maintained her business. BTW I lived in Joliet for a year for 7th grade. I went to Hufford but got hit by a car trying to cross the street walking home at the end of the year. I jacked up my leg pretty bad, but I still got honor roll not even going to school or doing any work the last month. Off topic sorry, but I got carted off the Canada a couple months later. But Joliet was the one good place and one good year (besides the leg) I have from adolescence.

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    What are these lease options you speak of?

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Michelle Melchione,

    Type "@" and the first three letters or so of the name. A selection should pop up after a moment or two. Select from the list using your mouse if there's more than one or select THE choice if there's only one.

    I'm not actually from here. My ex and I had this house built starting fall of '03. She left in '10 and quit-claimed the house to me after the divorce was final. I'm preparing to move this fall as you read this.

    I'm from Northlake originally. Northlake's two claims to fame were the 76 lane bowling alley where Sam's Club is now and the day the mayor's boys killed two cops when they knocked over the Northlake Bank (used to be a Mafia town; I was in 7th grade just up the street at the Catholic grade school - sounded like kids with cap guns).

    David J Dachtera

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 267 votes
    10y

    @David DachteraYes, but you get about $3k-$5k upfront from the first tenant. Then you get the same from the next Tenant. All of which is NON-Refundable. Also, 90% of Lease Options Do Not actually get Filled. Meaning the buyer doesn't BUY or Execute the OPTION. I always give my Tenants Walking MONEY so they don't destroy the house before they move. Like @Michelle MelchioneSaid, i get tons of interest the day i put up an ad on Craigs List, or any other Advertising Used. 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 267 votes
    10y

    Also, they let me know buy giving me a 30 day notice in order to get the Walking Money. That way i can move someone in the next day after they move out, so never had hold over time. 

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    It could be because I'm on my cellular phone, I'll try from my desktop later. What are lease options and how do they work?

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Robert Herrera:

    Let's say you buy a 3/2 for $50,000 cash. It rents for $925/month. Minus taxes $40/month, minus insurance $60/month. That's $825/month profit. That's about 20%. Subtract what you need for a management company, etc, and you have your return.

     Okay, now wouldnt putting 20% down on 4 different ones be the way to go, $625 x 4 =$2500. Or just 2 for that matter $1250

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    Hi Michelle, 

    I'm thinking that you should meet with a variety of investors and really start educating yourself on the ins and outs of real estate prior to going in on this investment. From a couple of comments in this thread, I question if you are as close to the reality of qualifying for conventional financing and ready to buy as you might think right now. For example, you mention you don't have a paying job right now. Do you have prior landlording experience? If not, you may find that you have trouble financing the properties, even with the sizable chunk of cash you have saved for the downpayment. Will you have a co-signer or income source that will help the lender out? I'd get on the phone with a few to make sure that you stand ready to purchase property right now. 

    Regardless of whether you are presently qualified, I would begin absorbing lots of information on real estate investing. Books, the BP Podcast, etc. You need to be able to speak the language and understand the pros and cons of the different strategies, then make a choice about what works best in your personal situation. For example, my strategy of buying properties, managing them myself for several years, and once the cash flow grows to an acceptable level, outsourcing management may not work for you if you don't want to manage yourself. Or, you may want more or fewer units. You may find that you can't make those decisions reliably until you've soaked up many stories from many investors. 

    I will punctuate by saying that if I could buy $200K in real estate in Pueblo, I'd be looking for as much cash flow as I could get. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Oak Lawn, IL · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    I am very new at this myself. I am just getting ready to close on my first SFR. I think @Scott Trench is right as for your first steps. You may have already verified your ability to get a loan however.

    As for me, I listened to every podcast and read many postings on BiggerPockets. I would start looking for your first deal and figure out what you need to make it work. If you have enough left over for your second deal then you can figure out what to do then. Start out one at a time to work through the process and learn what you need to know.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.