Starting out- Go big or go home?

Starting out- Go big or go home?

Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes

Hi, we're going to be looking into investing in buy and hold SFR. Everythings approximated because I'm in the very first stages, as in deciding if we're really going to do this. But say we decide to bite the bullet. By the end of August we should have everything in order. About $50000 cash, decent credit and 25% DTI. Is it better to put the 20% down on one house (approx $180000), or 10% on two with the hopes of getting LPMI. Say we put 20% on one, leaving a 144000 loan at 4.25%, payment $708, tax and ins $200. Trash and water? 80ish. Rents for $1400, about $400 cash flow. Remember all estimates, numbers could be more or less. Now in theory say we do two at $180000 with 10% down on each, leaving 162000 on each at 4.5 (higher for LPMI). Payments would be 820 plus tax ins and utilities, bring it to $1100 each, rents for $1400. Leaving $300 cash flow each. So is two better than one? It it too much to start? More cash flow rules right? We aren't dependant on cash flow, I'm thinking college tuition or retirement, so setting ourselves up for at least 10 years in the future. Not opposed to selling when opportunity knocks or any other reason.

0Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
10y

Hi Michelle, 

I'm thinking that you should meet with a variety of investors and really start educating yourself on the ins and outs of real estate prior to going in on this investment. From a couple of comments in this thread, I question if you are as close to the reality of qualifying for conventional financing and ready to buy as you might think right now. For example, you mention you don't have a paying job right now. Do you have prior landlording experience? If not, you may find that you have trouble financing the properties, even with the sizable chunk of cash you have saved for the downpayment. Will you have a co-signer or income source that will help the lender out? I'd get on the phone with a few to make sure that you stand ready to purchase property right now. 

Regardless of whether you are presently qualified, I would begin absorbing lots of information on real estate investing. Books, the BP Podcast, etc. You need to be able to speak the language and understand the pros and cons of the different strategies, then make a choice about what works best in your personal situation. For example, my strategy of buying properties, managing them myself for several years, and once the cash flow grows to an acceptable level, outsourcing management may not work for you if you don't want to manage yourself. Or, you may want more or fewer units. You may find that you can't make those decisions reliably until you've soaked up many stories from many investors. 

I will punctuate by saying that if I could buy $200K in real estate in Pueblo, I'd be looking for as much cash flow as I could get. 

See this reply in the discussion

79 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kyle, TX · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Scott Trench I saw your comment about @Michelle Melchione not being able to qualify for a conventional loan without a paying job. What I also was wondering was would the purchase affect the debt to income ratio of 25%, that Michelle mentioned in her first post. If she purchased the sample property would that increase her DTI to above allowable limits for conventional lenders. Am I correct in assuming that debt payments can't exceed 1/3 of your monthly income for a lender to approve a loan. Does the lender consider the future rental income from the property when determining the DTI during the loan approval process? Scott you might know but I also think Maybe a RMLO can jump into the conversation and add their expertise and help guide Michelle onto the path of buying a rental.

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    My husband makes a little over six figures. I stay at home.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erin, NY · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 32 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by :

    Am I correct in assuming that debt payments can't exceed 1/3 of your monthly income for a lender to approve a loan. Does the lender consider the future rental income from the property when determining the DTI during the loan approval process?

    Some types of commercial loans can push you higher that 1/3. I bought a SFR in April that was financed through a local banks small business loan department. They took into account the amount of rent I was going to get to help offset the DTI. They did prefer I already have a lease signed, which I was able to do. When you get on the commercial side of a bank they hardly look at DTI. It's all about how good the deal itself is. They will run a debt coverage ratio on the property to see if it's a good deal on its own. They also would want to see past experience with being a Landlord. Maybe showing them that the Grandma will manage and she has a track record would be sufficient. Haven't tried that yet.

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Robert Herrera:

    Let's say you buy a 3/2 for $50,000 cash. It rents for $925/month. Minus taxes $40/month, minus insurance $60/month. That's $825/month profit. That's about 20%. Subtract what you need for a management company, etc, and you have your return.

    @michele milchione. Robert suggests you could end up with $825 profit but neglects actual expenses you will eventually encounter such as vacancy (factor a minimum of 5% and more if just a single SFR), repairs (another 7%), and capital expenses (another 7% for flooring, paint, roof, furnace, etc..). Management will typically be 10% (less as you acquire more units). These funds need to be set aside monthly for when they are eventually needed. That will account for about $300/mo additional costs leaving you about a $525/mo profit. Check county records for actual property taxes when your ready and contact an insurance agent to get real rates as well. Also check Craigslist, Padmapper, Zillow, Rentometer to verify what current rents are going for.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I like the go big or go home.  But getting back to multiple units.  Yes it is more work but if you are serious about being a landlord and screening tenets.  I think multiple is the way to go.  I personally think   less then 20% is a little risky for an investment property unless it is just a smoking deal and I don't think you can put these numbers in that category.  But I want to reiterate being a landlord is not rocket science you just have to be serious.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
    10y

    It seems the majority of investors on these forums buy for cash flow, but Colorado is great for appreciation which is where your net worth comes from. Your grandmother is worth what she is not because she has 2 million dollars in real estate debt with some cashflow, she is where she is at because she bought and paid off and has equity which is net worth.

    A SFH is a great investment in Colorado as it has the best appreciation rates. I say to buy one property first, get your feet wet, learn the ropes, go slowly. Conserve your capital, nobody went broke from being underleveraged with money in the bank. Get that first rental, have some cashflow and put every dollar back into paying off that mortgage. Be wary, think long-term, the market today may not be the same in a year, don't put yourself in a leverage position that could put you at jeopardy if the economy goes in the toilet. Your grandmother got where she is slowly, nothing wrong with that.

  • Investor · Bethel, AK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    10y
    Michelle Melchione Hey Michelle I have 2 duplexes and a SFR in pueblo/ Penrose. I can't really complain about pueblo but I think there are better areas to invest. Pm if you want to chat a bit. RR
  • Investor · Bethel, AK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    10y

    @Michelle Melchione

    see above post

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I have found that maximizing cash flow for long term rentals is very important.  I choose to take the options that make my monthly nut smaller.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 142 votes
    10y
    Hi Michelle, welcome! It sounds like you have gotten a lot of good feedback. We are just getting started too and have spent the last few months reading REI books, listening to podcasts, analyzing properties and putting in offers. Since investing is about the numbers I would say you should use the calculator app on BP or download a property evaluator app. Each day pick 3 properties off of the listing site you are looking at and punch in the numbers to get an idea of what kind of returns you would get. Make sure to account for all the expenses like @craig mentioned and that will help you get a feel for what is possible as you develop your strategy.
  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 142 votes
    10y
    Sorry, I meant Curtis Bidwell , not Craig!
  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Heres the details : We bought our house with no money down 2 years ago using a VA loan. As of today there's about $100,000 equity. We are in the process of doing a VA cash out refinance (no closing costs except appraisal, no funding fee because he gets VA disability). It's a .65% lower rate, so to get $65000 cash out, and still have $35000 equity, our payment barely changes. On top of that each month, we have about $2000 extra after bills. If we use some of the money to pay off one or both cars, or one and refi the other, we can have closer to $3000. Also he's got a job interview thats looking promosing, that also makes quite a bit more, but I'm not counting on that. I can wait til next year to invest and just keep saving, to give us more leverage, or jump in soon and then worry about rebuilding the cushion.

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    I'm not trying to jump in right this second, or get rich quick. Im just trying to understanding how to best start, whether its in a couple months or a year. How to best use that money for our benefit 10+ years from now.

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Should I cancel the refi and just leave the equity there? It just feels like we hit the lottery buying when we did and appreciating so much so quickly with none of our own money down. Or I am on the right track? Like @Mike F. said the market could change, the dollar could collapse, and then it could be much more difficult to get credit/financing.

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Another thing is after our vacation in a couple weeks, we'll not have a mortgage payment for 2 months because of the refi, so from end of July to end of September there's about another $10000 extra.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
    10y

    Yes Michelle, be very careful and take this slowly, you're leveraging here with your current plans of getting investment capital out of your equity. Would have been a great plan 3 years ago and you would look like a genius. Done 8 years ago you would look like an idiot. 

    Doing your cash out refinance and paying down debt with your extra free cashflow you gain every month is a win/win since you're getting ahead and gaining networth each month. Doing your cash out refinance and using every dollar to service new dept leveraged in investment real estate will put you at risk to the economic cycle.

    I would plan all your investments based on best and worst case scenario, using the great recession as your worst case, if your plans succeed through a worst case scenario then that's a sound investment (you won't get a high a return because you will be leveraging a lot less, but you will be safe from going BK, losing all your investments and your current home).

    There are plenty of ALL-IN type investors, nothing to lose mentality investors, they all look like geniuses during the up cycles but they grow very quiet and disappear and go bust in the down cycles. Getting rich in real estate with that mentality is like trying to get rich through a lottery ticket.  Real estate investors with true net worth typically get their slowly, making great money in the up cycles and still making money in the down cycles but most importantly they are preserving their wealth in the down cycles and are then able to safely leverage a small percentage of safe wealth as the down cycle turns to the up cycle again. 

    The long and the short of what I'm saying is go slowly and invest a portion of your capital, keeping reserves intact and always keeping a safe margin of networth to "good" debt ratio.

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @Mike F. Alright the original plan was to use about 30000 to pay off all cars and cc's. Putting us at about $1100 more a month without those payments. Theres 35000 left from refi and the additional 10000 by end of September. So $45000. And about $3000 per month after. What would you be doing with the 45000, and the 3000. Making extra payments on your primary residense? 

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Or not paying everything off at once? Its mostly car loans, the cc balances are only a coule thousand 

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Reserves, investing, and paying down debt can be done in mass amounts of variations, timelines, and methods. How do I even decide where to start? What percentage of capital is safe to start investing? How long should I continue to save and pay down debts before deciding to invest?

  • Pueblo, CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dave Garlick:

    I am very new at this myself. I am just getting ready to close on my first SFR. I think @Scott Trench is right as for your first steps. You may have already verified your ability to get a loan however.

    As for me, I listened to every podcast and read many postings on BiggerPockets. I would start looking for your first deal and figure out what you need to make it work. If you have enough left over for your second deal then you can figure out what to do then. Start out one at a time to work through the process and learn what you need to know.

     Off topic, my husbands in IT and I lived it Oak Lawn for a while too. Let me know how your deal goes! Good luck.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
    10y

    Michelle, there is no right or wrong answer there are only levels of comfort and risk which are directly connected to risk/reward, your tolerances to it all. There are people who believe any investment outside of a CD is too risky, there are people who will bet the farm, putting everything on red or black and if they bust they just take solace in the belief that some of the most successful  and wealthy people have said they went BK 3 times before they finally hit it big. My only opinion is what I would do or what I have done based on my goals and my levels of comfort. You have to start with yourselves and start outlining your levels of comfort and risk to get started in all of this, and then bouncing them off places like this forum to get feedback and continue evaluating your choices.

    On the surface your plan of taking on 'good' debt (equity of your home) to pay off bad debt (car debt, CC debt) appears to be a good one. I say that also based on if you would then apply the freed up cashflow toward positive things, such as paying off more debt or building equity or purchasing assets. If the freed cashflow goes to living a more lavish lifestyle, going on a vacation or taking on more bad debts then the whole plan is flawed.

  • Investor · Bethel, AK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    10y

    @Michelle Melchione I would recommend looking hard at those car loans before paying them off. Most car loans carry a pretty low interest rate. My car loan right now is 2%. Why would I pay that off and then turn around and borrow the money back that I just used to pay off the car against a rental property at 4-5% ?? Pay off credit cards boats snow machines etcetc. Build a cash reserve and then you are off to the races. As for rentals in pueblo I have been land lording there for 7 years. A 50k house therethat rents for 8-9 hundred a monthis damn rare unless it's on the east side. (War zone). Most rents in pueblo don't make the 1% rule (50k house rents for $400-$500 a mo not $850). Appreciation in pueblo is low compared to Collins,Denver,and other aresof CO. This is due to the steel mill running at a reduced capacity and a slightly depressed economy. MFR's typically appreciate less than SFR's but are a little less risky as has been stated on this thread already. Pueblo has the highest insurance premiums in the state due to the hail storms tearing up roofs. Typical duplex is around 8-9 hundred a year. A triplex in pueblo is considered commercial and the rate doubles. It's just as cheap to insure a 4 plex as it is a triplex. Hope this helps a bit. RR

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Michelle Melchione you need some more education. Generally speaking, your grandmother's way is a great conservative way to invest. Get rich slow. It is very plain Jane and does not yield the highest returns. It's fairly safe and fairly slow.

    @Robert Herrera has a much more sophisticated approach and IMO requires a more than average level of knowledge and understanding to pull off. While he is able to execute it, I don't think that more than 1 in 10 investors would be able or willing to take his approach and make it work. I'm not saying this to in any way discourage you from doing what he is doing. I just want you to have some perspective. Real estate is not just numbers. You have to find what fits you and what you are comfortable with. That takes some time.

    @Scott Trench alluded to this but when you invest and use conventional funding (mortgages from big banks) the rules change for investors. You will not find conventional funding with only 10% down for a home you do not live in (known as non-owner occupied). You will pay a higher interest rate on a loan for a property you do not live in. @Joseph Graeve also pointed this out.

    Your excitement is great and keep digging. My suggestion would be to leverage off your grandmother and lean on her for advise. It may turn out that she can do more for you than you originally thought. Real estate is not hard but can also be brutal if you don't know what you are doing.

    I tend to think that @Mike F. has some good advise. Slow and steady wins the race and there is no one right answer. 

    Another option not mentioned is to buy a new primary residence and use the old one as a rental. Not sure what the numbers are but that can be a very easy transition to learn on. If you want better returns after you learn the ropes in a couple of years. Sell it and invest the equity.

  • Investor · Bethel, AK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    10y

    @Michelle Melchione Another thing I forgot to mention is it's usually a lot easier and faster to do a HELOC than it is to refi. Plus many HELOC's allow interest only payments. It an avenue you could look at as opposed to a full blown refi. You get a 7-10 year window to draw money out and only pay on what you have used. Most allow interest only payments during the draw period. As with all money decisions you need to check it all out before you jump in. RR

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 267 votes
    10y
    Curtis Bidwell as you can see from that post, I put that you have to subtract those things to get your rate of return. Also if you look at my other post, you don't need to worry about ANY of those expenses with a lease option. As Bill S. Pointed out, this is s more sophisticated technique, that requires above average knowledge of real estate investing, but the returns can be Great!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.