Multifamily cashflow property

Multifamily cashflow property

Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 25 votes

Southern California newbie looking for cashflow, specifically in multifamily deals in the Midwest (I've been browsing Ohio, Missouri, Indiana, and Kansas).

Although new, I feel drawn to multifamilies >5 units. 

I have >$200k to invest as a downpayment but I'm currently hesitant and not sure if I'm being too ambitious.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks BP!

1Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by @Tim W.:

Bob Bowling I appreciate your devil's advocate point of view. No one is selling me on the Midwest. I've listened to the podcasts and read through the blogs but no one is selling me on the Midwest. Perusing through realtor.com MLS listings is where I've been able to see the numbers work. Imagine what a great deal looks like in the Midwest.

I don't have a specific answer as to why someone would invest their money in lower return investments. Perhaps there's a perception of "safer" investment when something is nearby. Perhaps one will pay more when they feel the asset has more room for growth. Perhaps they don't know there's better opportunities elsewhere. The reasons are endless.

As a seasoned investor, can you share some experiences with investing out of state? I'm new to this and maybe I'm over simplifying the whole out of state investing. Your profile says your in Hawaii, I'm sure you can understand my reasoning for thinking out of state for investing.

Tim, here is my response to a recent thread on investing in the Midwest vs Hawaii. 

As a Hawaii investor going back to the 70's I can assure you that prices have been going up like crazy for decades. As far as buying high I can see using some caution in todays market but would ask you if you think Kansas City or any where in the Midwest is also not at the possible top of their market or are you just confusing comparatively cheap prices with market bottom?

As far as making money in Hawaii if you'd bought last years median price condo at $338,000 with $67,600 down and them sold this year at the median price of $413,000 then you would have more than doubled your money in a year. Puts that few hundred dollars of cash flow into perspective.

I am not against the Midwest or turnkey investments as long as you are educated but if your education is coming from podcasts and blogs on BP you should know that they are not vetted and probably more than 80% of the information is incorrect and the authors are either ignorant of basic real estate knowledge or counting on your ignorance.  It's like the blind leading the blind or worse the crooks stealing from the blind. 

I was a Kentucky REALTOR in the 70's.  I still have friends and family back there.  A $35,000 property there in the 70's may be worth $60,000 to $100,000 now.  My 1978 $35,000 Honolulu is worth over $500,000 and has generated over $500,000 in cash flow.  Plus I can assure you that the expenses on that typical 1800sf Midwest property were considerably more than my 600sf Honolulu property.  I also had zero vacancy which would be impossible to get in the Midwest.

I did invest in Vegas in the early 90's before their boom and bust.  20 years later and rents are barely more!  My rents increase a minimum of 6% a year.  Stucco and tile roofs keeps expenses down but HVAC replacement is expensive and since you get more sf per $ the turnovers get pretty expensive for paint and carpet. 

Relying on 'numbers" from MLS or uninformed "providers" is not a very good investment strategy. Question everything you are told.

Good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 25 votes
    10y
    Jerry Padilla Thanks for the website link. I didn't think I'd get so many useful tools and advice just from one post. Thanks BP community!
  • Real Estate Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 45 votes
    10y
    Tim Wong First off, welcome to BP! This place is really great and it will give you the push you need to get that first deal. That said, the first is always the hardest. With 200k you have a lot of potential here in Southern California. If you would like some advice on financing, I would be happy to give you some pointers (financing is my 9-5 job). Just shoot me a PM. Currently, I invest in small SFRs and have a buy and hold strategy. As a fellow Southern Californian, I can tell you that the hardest thing is to not get over zealous with purchase in high cost areas. Go to areas on the outskirts (not too far though!). These areas cash flow better and don't cost as much which means you can buy more and diversify. With that $200k you can buy one property in the city or 3/4 in certain other areas (generally the areas I invest). Hope this helps! Cheers -David
  • Real Estate Agent · Corona, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Tim Wong  I am in same position.  I have around 200k to work with and I like the idea of multifamily investing.  I am looking into areas as well and I am open to partnering up if deals make sense.  

  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 25 votes
    10y
    David Dye Do you do commercial loans as well? I like the idea of staying in state even though it's in the outskirts, but doesn't that mean I'm not in "my market" anymore? Wouldn't that be similar to investing out of state? And if that's the case, wouldn't it be wiser to invest in the cheaper market since it presents the same risk? As a newbie, that's my thinking but maybe some of the more experienced investors can provide a brighter point of view.
  • Real Estate Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    @Tim W.

    Let's connect.  I'll share with you some details on my strategy.  

    The way I think of it, I want to be able to drive to my properties in a couple hours max.  Currently, my property is about 1.5 hours away from my house.  This means that I can drive out there to meet someone and the only thing it costs me is a half tank of gas and the three/four hours of time.  I have handymen I have vetted in the area that can handle little stuff but being able to drive there to handle big stuff is a great asset.

    -David

  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    @Art Nava

    Let me know if you want to partner up on any deals. I'm open to any opportunities  have.

  • Redding, CA · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 143 votes
    10y

    I have investing for a long time.  Let me give you some thoughts to make sure you are looking at real estate investing as a BUSINESS and not a HOBBY.

    Every investor should know prices in his investment area whether they buy and sell or hold for rentals (I do not suggest you go out of state especially if you are a newbie.....you lose control). 

    Tons of information about investment properties is handed out to potential buyers by selling agents and brokers, which don’t mean “diddlysquat” about bottom line results. In the business of profit making, you must focus on two important numbers. First… What will your customers pay for your product? Second… Can you afford to pay (purchase price) to provide your product and still make a profit for yourself? You should not move forward (in my opinion) without the answers.

    In the rental business, you need to know what the majority of renters can afford to pay in your area. For example, in my town I rent many 2 bedroom, single bath, houses to young couples with a small child or two and also to seniors. Both these customers cannot afford rents over $750 per month. Knowing what my customers can afford helps dictate how I buy properties. Smart investors will study the marketplace in order to deliver the right product (affordable houses) to their customers. It’s important to remember – if my tenants can’t afford to pay for my houses – I can’t either! It would be very unwise to own a stable of houses renting for $900 per month if you lived in a town full of $750 renters. If the majority of renters in your area can easily afford your houses, it’s much easier to keep them occupied and profitable.

    One way you can learn rent values is to pretend you’re a renter in search of housing. Call telephone numbers in the classified ads or Craigslist for different locations within your investment area. Drive out to see what $700 per month will buy you in a two-bedroom house or apartment. Do the same for a $500 rental, etc. Once you become familiar with different parts of your town, you’ll be able to read the prices online and the newspaper ads and then have a pretty good idea about what the properties look like and how well they’re maintained.

    Take care.

    Fixer Jay DeCima

  • Rental Property Investor · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 113 votes
    10y
    Tim Wong Hey Tim! I'm located in Mission Viejo, just a little north of you in Carlsbad. I have investments in Atlanta, Memphis and Indiana -- SFRs and multis. Maybe we could meet half way and chat. I'd be happy to share what info I can to help you. Just PM me if you're interested in meeting for coffee sometime. Thanks, Bill
  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 25 votes
    10y
    Jay DeCima Can you elaborate more on "losing control" by going out of state with investing? I spoke with a broker and they mentioned the same term but wasn't sure what that exactly entailed.
  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 25 votes
    10y
    Bill Manassero I will definitely like to meet up. I'll PM you.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.