Super Ready To Invest...Wife Not Ready at all

Super Ready To Invest...Wife Not Ready at all

Dalton, MA · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 15 votes

Hey all, 

So I've been putting together deals for about...3-4 years now. By Making deals I mean I'll get all the way to the table, and my wife will make me not go through with it because she's afraid. (These aren't crazy deals...usually 30 year fixed on a multi family. The only "crazy deal" I almost did was an Owner will carry over 10 years on a portfolio of 3 multi-family homes that all had HUD rentals in them and cash flowed incredibly well)

I have realized that I need to get some sit down and hash this out style help... I think from a real estate investing consultant. 

SO: I'm near both Boston, Mass AND Albany, NY (essentially right in between the two) so If any of you locals know of someone, or you yourself are a successful real estate investor and could talk to my wife and I together about Real Estate investing I would love to do so. I'd be happy to buy lunch, bird dog for you..let's chat! 

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
21 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Charles Manuel,

    This probably won't help, but I saw this on a poster in a job recruiter's office once:

    Consider the tortoise who makes no progress until he sticks his neck out.

    Worth a try, maybe ...

    Also, fear is typically born of ignorance. Perhaps some REI education would be in order.

    My $0.02...

  • Quincy, MA · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 26 votes
    10y
    Charles, Welcome to the club! If you figure out how to crack that nut, please share. I've been chipping away for 4 years with no luck. And I own 4 cash flowing properties. With each one her frustration with me grows. Even when I've shown the benefits and minimal risk in my properties she doesn't budge.
  • Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 319 posts · 80 votes
    10y

    @Charles Manuel

    Do you listen to the podcasts? I know this issue has been talked about a couple times. I don't recall exactly what some of the guests mentioned as solutions for this issue, but might be something worth looking into.

    Actually, maybe you could reach out to some of the guests that came on as husband and wife and ask how they were able to get on the same page from the beginning.

    Hope either suggestion can help somewhat.

  • Dalton, MA · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    So update: 

    I got my wife to listen to my audible copy of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and now she won't stop sending me possible properties to buy. She still gets a little worried from time to time, but then i remind her that we don't have to buy it if it doesn't make sense so us. Thanks for the insight everyone, I used a little bit of everybody's ideas to get her here. I'm hoping to have the two of us run out to an Albany REIA meet (the closest one to us) sometime in the near future so we can start networking in the REI world out here a little more.

    Will update as the first deal gets near!

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    If she likes to read, you might also give her a copy of Rich Dad Poor Dad as well we other quality books that explain the power of investing. My wife goes along with everything I want to do investing. She is also good with spending the income:)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.