What are deals and what aren't

What are deals and what aren't

Member since 2008 · 92 posts · 2 votes

I hope everyone is well. I wanted to take some time tonight and send out a post that I hope many will find useful and will help the quality of leads many of us are seeing on the site. Maybe with some clarification, everybody's productivity can increase.

I would like to make a distinction between "investor types" because I have been getting too many calls and emails to mention from newbies who seem to be attempting to jump into this and can get themselves into a lot of trouble without realizing it. I've spoken to three people I have met through this site that have been "back-doored" by some people and one of the newbies I met from here, caused me to be cut out of my own deal because of inexperience, lack of knowledge, and their inability to say so. Thanks to them, I now have to sue someone to try and get paid, and guess what? It's not the investor who backdoored everyone, it's the guy who sent out the information on my deal after signing an agreement saying he wouldn't. It's the bird dog.

Let's begin with a definition. Now much of this is subjective in the terminology, but there are some things that I do not consider interchangable. The first and most important.

There is a difference between a bird dog and a wholesaler. It is important that people understand what role they are playing in these deals. Especially those that come from this site, are networking here and are new. I define a bird dog as someone who has knowledge of a deal but has no real risk. For example, you see a deal on this site that someone else has posted. You then take that information to a possible buyer, or group of buyers. Your position in that deal is as a bird dog, NOT a wholesaler. The wholesaler is the person who actively has the property under contract, owns it, etc. In other words they are either the seller or as close to the seller as they can get. The wholesaler has put themselves into the deal legally. They have contracted the property in their own name, they have earnest money in the deal if required, they have paid for the appraisal, THEY are in direct contact with the seller if not the seller themselves. The wholesaler is the one with the risk. If the wholesaler cannot find a buyer, it's the wholesaler's *** on the line if the contract falls through and faces breach of contract, loss of earnest money, etc. The wholesaler and the end buyer are the two people with the risk. If you did not go out and contract or buy these properties, you are not the wholesaler. You are a bird dog. Many wholesalers, myself included, put ourselves into the bird dog position when contacted by other wholesalers looking to move their deals. That's fine and dandy, and it's not a demotion, it's just your part in that deal.

It's important to me that this distinction is made because I have run into instances where people contact me trying to move deals, misleading me into thinking they are moving their own deals, when in fact, they are not. Many people on this site are trying to move other deals that belong to other people while passing them off as their own. Let me explain how this hurts everyone involved. Most of the people on this site are in contact via email or phone only. Many of us correspond daily. WITH EACH OTHER!!! The new people I don't think realize this, they hop on the site and begin emailing us telling us of these great deals and you have to gently explain to them that you have already seen it, or better yet, it's your own deal. :oops: I truly believe 99% of the time, this is not done maliciously, it is due to inexperience and lack of knowledge. Everybody wants a foot in the door to get rich quick with no money, no credit, and virtually no work. While real estate is great and is probably the closest thing you can do to come to actually achieving that goal, EVERYTHING takes time, some money and some risk.

I want to clarify that I love bird dogs. I use them all of the time and I consider them to be an invaluable part of this business. I am not slamming them. As I said, I often put myself into a bird dog situation, but the bird dog needs to understand some things. The bird dog needs to be able to identify a deal, valuate a property and get at least the basics of a deal before actually submitting it to buyers. Recently, I've been getting forwarded a lot of bad deals. Inflated appraisals are 90% of what I see. Again I don't think it's done intentionally, I think it's because many people see an appraisal as just a number on the bottom of page 2. They think because that number is what they told their appraiser they wanted it to be, that makes the deal. That is very wrong, but that is a whole other topic. I simply would like to suggest, that you do a little research before presenting to your buyers. The theory of "if you throw enough crap at the wall, something will stick" does not always apply in this business and it most certainly doesn't apply to me. I get emails from people everyday that I don't even bother to read anymore. They get deleted because I cannot take those people seriously. Many of the others on this site know that when you send me a deal up front, I will always look at the apprasial or do some due diligence before sending it out to my buyers. I cannot afford to piss my buyers off and alienate them. I cannot afford to have my buyers not trust my deals because once that happens, there goes my bread and butter. Please, please, please, try to get a basic understanding of the deal, the value, etc. before putting it out there. You are only hurting yourself, because without realizing it, you become a joke. While there is a lot of business out there, remember networking is key. If you think you have only screwed over one person, you're wrong. That person knows someone who knows someone who knows someone, and do it enough times.... and NOBODY will work with you. It's not rocket science.

Now let's talk about fees. As stated above, my definition of a wholesaler is somebody who has their rump in the pudding. They have risk in that deal. Those that have the most risk are those that should reap the most profit. Again, this is where inexperience and greed come into the picture and where many newbies shoot themselves in the foot and kill their careers before ever getting started. I'm going to use a recent deal I had with a new bird dog that contacted me. I had a good deal that he said he had a buyer for. The deal was at 65% LTV and had an $80,000 spread which included my fee already. As the bird dog, he has no way to get himself in the deal without a fee agreement so I ask him what he's going to charge. Brace yourselves.....this moron says $50,000. Now I wouldn't care but his greed cost him and his buyer the deal because HE sucked all the profit out of it to the end buyer. The end buyer is left with a $30,000 spread and an exorbitantly high risk at around 90% LTV. Again, greed and inexperience. Before you can really start working as a bird dog or as a wholesaler, you have to be able to identify a deal. When you get greedy, you kill your deals. Every time.

Most of us, meaning buyers and wholesalers as I do both, don't care how much the middle people are making so long as our end profit is in line with what we are looking for. As a bird dog, with no risk, while you can and should profit, be reasonable. I have one right now that I acted as a bird dog on. I entered into a fee agreement with the wholesaler for $5,000 on a $450,000 spread. Why such a small amount? Because I know my buyers bottom line, and I respect the wholesaler who has the property and the risk. She'll make $100,000 and she should. I could have charged a lot more, but to many of us that see this as a career and not just a way to pay the bills for a few months, I see building a relationship with her as more important than gouging as much as I can out of the deal, because the next deal there'll be more room and I can charge more. I would rather do a bunch of good deals and get the volume going all the while making new contacts, getting more deals, etc. than one deal knowing she'll never come to me again because I was unreasonable the first time. Remember every dollar you ask for is coming out of someone's pocket. Keep the fee within reason based on your level of risk and the amount of work you're doing. The only thing I did for that $5,000 was make one phone call and email some specifics. It took me all of an hour and the deal is under contract and going to close. Nothing. I'm basically making $5,000 an hour on that deal and that's fine with me. I also have a very good investor who does a ton of business who will send me deal after deal after deal because she sees that I am honest and reasonable. On those big deals, collect your fee, make your money, but as a bird dog, please realize that you are at the bottom of the pecking order in that deal. Again, I'm not saying that to be condescending. I was at the bottom of that pecking order in that deal. I'm not insulted by that, it's simply a fact.

Now let's talk about how bird dogs can make sure they get paid, and make sure they don't give away their deals. As I stated before, I had three calls and emails this week by newbies crying who put their deals out there and, low and behold, they didn't get paid. As a bird dog in the transaction, you have no real legal place there unless you make one. THERE IS NO TRUST IN THIS BUSINESS. I say that broadly because, I'm sure we all have people we trust, my partner I do implicitly. I'm talking to those of you who are getting screwed because someone says they'll pay you a fee and then closes a deal and you see nothing. People will tell you whatever they can to get the deal done. Let's face it. There's alot of money in this business. With money comes greed, backstabbing, etc. This is not a business for the faint hearted or the weak unless you're a masochist and get off on it.

Everyone on this site that has dealt with me in the past knows that before I even give you an address to a property your're siging a non compete and non disclosure. This is a form that basically says, this deal is mine. If you back door me, you're paying me anyway. If you show it to someone else without getting them to sign and they back door me, YOU'RE PAYING ME ANYWAY, etc. This form is the catch all and fully protects me to see that I get paid. To put it bluntly, you contact a buyer and give them the appraisal, address, property information, rent rolls, etc. You have just given all leverage you ever had. As a bird dog, you don't have that property under contract. You don't own that property. So now that you've given the buyer all of the information he needs to do the deal, what value are you? NONE. You're an expense that's easily eradicated because now the buyer can go directly to the seller and do the deal. Many bird dogs are new and blindly trust. They get excited and when that closing date comes they sit and click refresh on their bank's website just waiting to see the wire that's never going to appear. Because you have the least amount invested, the only way to make sure you get paid, is to enter into a Master Fee agreement and make sure you get paid.

I, personally would never do what I just described above because I think it's bad form and what goes around comes around. If you screw enough people, it'll come back and bite you eventually. I have always made sure my bird dogs are paid whether there is an agreement or not. 90% of the other investors out there will not. Money is money and I cannot tell you how many times, my buyers try and convince me to cut me people out of the deal because they see that as money out of their pocket. PROTECT YOURSELF. While you have the least risk, you are the most vulnerable when it comes to collecting on anything. Seriously, are you going to stand in front of a judge and say, " but I sent him an email!" As you're laughed out of the courtroom, that legally binding Master Fee Agreement is what will make sure you are paid what you are earned.

The calls I got were because people did just what I described. They found a great deal that another wholesaler had, or that they heard about but did nothing about securing it themselves. They sent the buyer al the information he needed to make a decision (which is what you should do but not until after the agreement is signed) and the buyer, not needing them anymore did jump on those great deals, and the bird dog got nothing.

One of these bird dogs asked for a list of my available properties which I sent him AFTER emailing and having him sign the Non disclosure non compete. He didn't read the agreement apparently, just signed it and then turned around and proceeded to email the appraisal and all other specifics to several potential buyers trying to find one. He found one alright. The guy loved the deal so much, he contacted my seller and did the deal directly with him cutting everyone else out of the deal. The guy even had the audacity to call MY APPRAISER and ask him to change the borrower name on the appraisal I PAID FOR into his name. At least my appraiser was loyal, told the guy to take a hike and then promptly called me to see if I knew what was going on. Of course I didn't, so my appraiser gives me the guy's name and number. I talk to him and find out where he got the specifics of the deal. He got them from the bird dog who had signed the NDA with me but that never had the buyer sign the NDA. The buyer was a complete jerk and told me there is nothing I could do to him. And he's right. I didn't have any agreement with him, it was with the bird dog who stands to lose a lot of money. Granted, the guy has no money, but I lost over $200,000 on that deal. It's beyond personal so I may just make sure that he doesn't have any money for quite a long time with a judgement and any garnishments I can get. I don't think the guy did it on purpose, but you need to read what you are signing, and use some common sense. When you take $200,000 out of my pocket, I tend to get a little cranky. :D

I'm sorry for the novel, but I really felt this needed to be said. I love this site. I love the people I have met and will meet in the future, I'm sure. Everybody can succeed and make money and we can do it being up front and straight with each other. I promise, if you simply tell me you don't know how to do something, or you don't understand something, I'm not going to hang up on you, or write you off, and I hope when I say and have said those things to others, they don't write me off either. Not everyone knows everything. I learn something new everyday. Rather, I leanr about a million new things everyday. In this business, knowledge is power, so if you don't find it, get it. Ask. Cover yourself and realize that you could be hurting people other than yourself as well as the above example proves.

1Reply
299 views

66 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    20y

    Very well put Christy. I agree 100%, every time I run an ad I get more and more calls from "investors" who want to point out to me where I'm leaving money on the table. The numbers really spike after (no names mentioned) boot camps and seminars. Really girls and boys, some of us have been doing this for 25+ years, we generally know what we're doing!

    Please everyone, read Christy's post and take it to heart.

    all cash

  • Member since 2008 · 46 posts · 0 votes
    20y

    Christy, wanna play hard ball with the bird dog. CAll him and let him know that you are going to submit a 1099 on him with the IRS for the amount he abscounded from you. Guess what, now he has to deal with the IRS. I have a friend that does that with anyone that screws him whether it is a deal like this or a renter that skipped out on him. Creates a taxable issue for the guy for the amount he took out of your pocket. He might agree to some terms in the interim. Next thing I would do would be to start posting his name and his actions on the forums so that other wholesalers avoid him like the plague. Your in Houston right? the investment community is pretty small in this big town. Word would get around and really hurt his pocket book.

    Also, let me know if you have any deals going. I might be interested if you are in Houston.

  • Member since 2008 · 92 posts · 2 votes
    20y

    Thanks gate!!!! I do have deals going, but nothing in Houston at the moment. I'll forward you a spreadsheet via email.

  • Real Estate Coach · Boise, ID · Member since 2008 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    20y

    Hello Christie,

    First, I would like to thank you for a great post. It was very educational from the standpoint of what to watch out for in this business. I am a Realtor and rookie RE investor in Idaho, and recently have been introduced to a continuous supply of deals from a veteran investor group. At this point my biggest challenge is finding an investor with flexibility who can move quickly. These deals all have varying degrees of equity (flip, lease purchase opportunities), and are already under contract with assignment rights (little competition to those who can act quick) when they are introduced to me. My philosophy is not to hit a grand slam on each deal, but build inventory and create cash flow opportunities on volume. In other words, win-win deals for everyone involved. Institutional lending is far too restrictive and time consuming, thus my need for an investment partner(s).

    Here is a description of my immediate need:
    Area: Aurora, Illinois
    Sales price: $125,000
    After repair value: $160-175,000 (CMA's from local agents)
    Repairs 90-95% completed by seller
    Close: Tuesday, August 15 (one week from today)

    I have been working with an institutional lender on this but am running into "chain of title issues" because it was bought as a foreclosure by the current seller recently.

    If you know of anyone looking to fund deals for a nice return I would appreciate a heads up. I understand you probably hear about people with "limitless deals" all the time, but the deals I am being offered have already been scrutinized by the buyer's and sellers who have been very willing to share their information. And of course, I do my own due diligence (so far my source has been honest and accurate). They get paid by flipping the contracts for nominal assignment fees while spending very little time on the deals. Utilizing this strategy together with a huge network of bird-dogs, they are able to put together a large amount of deals in a short period of time. I know I have already lost out on some excellent opportunities because of a lack of investors.

    Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks, and have a great day!

    Kyle

  • Member since 2008 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    20y

    :D Greetings Christy,

    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. My sixth grade graduation teacher actually wrote those very words in my year book!

    I'm a real newbie in New Jersey starting out as a Bird Dog; eventually becoming an investor myself. I've been studying books, listening to tapes and doing extensive surfing trying to learn and understand the best way to proceed. Your post was enlightening to say the least. I'm clear on how difficult it is to find trustworthy people whether investors or others.

    I would truly welcome an opportunity to speak with you. I live in New Jersey and spend a lot of time in Atlanta, Georgia, so I would love to identify ethical investors I can work with/for who are interested in good deals in those areas.

    The REI Club meets tonight in my area and I'll be attending for the first time.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Have a Great Day!

  • Member since 2008 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    20y

    Christy...
    Thanks for the "mini-education"...it's obvious I have a lot to learn!
    I'm also a "newbie" at this...and I could use any help, guidance etc. anyone would care to offer.
    I live in So. California and although the real estate market is still going well, its a little "pricey" for a public high school teacher's salary (me!)...therefore I'm looking to go out-of-state and would welcome any hints as to how to do this...specifically, I'm looking toward the Carolinas (South, especiallY)...
    Ok...HELP!
    Thanks...Bill

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    20y

    Great Post Christy. I'm going to re-post it in our investing Blog. Thank you for taking the time to spell everything out for everyone.

    Thanks for your contribution!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Crete, IL · Member since 2008 · 85 posts · 1 vote
    20y

    Simply put Christy, that was a very relevant and insightful post and it addresses a huge problem in our business. This is a lesson that everyone needs to learn. Greed kills as much as speed and its critical that people understand this. Thank you.

  • Member since 2008 · 92 posts · 2 votes
    20y

    Thanks so much for your responses and taking the post as it was meant. I was really afraid I would offend some. I apologize my time here has been so erratic, but I have been SWAMPED to say the least. I apologize if it takes a while to get back with you, but I answer all emails! Take care all and thanks again for the feedback.

  • Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    20y

    I was very excited as I read this post. I am new and am willing to learn. I love to hear about the "bad" things that happen to people so that I can learn what to avoid and how to avoid it. Thank you very much for providing us with this information.

  • Member since 2008 · 1 post · 0 votes
    20y

    I'm sorry, I may have missed something in the post. But I'm confused about how the buyers can buy the property from the seller themselves if you have the property under contract with the seller?

    Don't the buyers have to make their offer to you?

    Thank you, ChrisX

  • Greenwood, IN · Member since 2008 · 35 posts · 2 votes
    20y

    Great post, Christy. I hope this sparks similar posts in the future. Great read :D

  • Member since 2008 · 32 posts · 0 votes
    20y

    this was probly the best post i read on here thank for your insite :woohoo:

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    20y

    Agreed. Probably the best post ive read anywhere concerning real estate. Please go write a book on investing, so I can buy it. :D

  • Real Estate Coach · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 80 posts · 5 votes
    19y

    Good stuff. Remember, in this business it's not the docs that matter, it's your reputation. I have been in the business for over 10 years and have bought and sold over 700 properties. There's no way i could have done that if i was in the business of messing people up. The reality is that no matter where you live it's always a small investment community, and once you mess someone up you will very quickly be found out. So the thing i learned is when dealing with someone i have never dealt with before i give them the "small community" speech...and since starting to do that many years ago, i have never been screwed by anyone.

  • Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Great information and as a new investor, I appreciate the difference. :idea: I am involved in wholesaling and was confused when introduced to the "bird dogging" term. Thanks a bunch.

  • Member since 2008 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    19y

    Christi your post is one of the most informative on what to look out for when birdogging, and wholesaling.. I didn't quite know the difference between the 2.. now I am totally clear on it..

    question for you.. as a wholesaler who has signed the purchase contract, what are the best escape clauses to use in the event the end buyer's financing does not come thru or other title issues may come up?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 223 posts · 1 vote
    19y

    Christy, excellent Post. you just solved my problem. I come across propertie's that have very large spreads after the repairs have been done.
    I didnt have anyway to tie these properties down until now. I never bougthered to keep track of the "BAD" buyers because there were too many. I just tried to hit and miss to hopfully find one or two investors who I could trust. I am also a realtor. So I have lots of resources availible to me when it comes to finding property. Most sellers wont let me list their property so I cant tie it down with the usual Employment contract. Your form would be excellent. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to
    e-mail me your forms. And if you were to ever need anything in Georgia. Just e-mail me and I will jump. Again excellent post.

    Thanks!! :mrgreen:

  • Real Estate Investor · TX · Member since 2008 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Thank you for the great post...I learned alot and as a newbie, I really appreciate that.

    I wanted to copy your post but am having problems. Is there something I can do to get the entire article to print. I really would like to save it.

    Robert

  • Bellwood, IL · Member since 2008 · 26 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Hello Christy,
    I just joined this group a little over a week ago and coming across your post is already worth the price of admission. :lol:

    If there's a "hall of fame" of posts, this belongs there. It carefully touched on everything.

    One thing I wish you had dealt with a little more deeply is the question of "reasonable compensation" for a bird-dog. The two instances you gave seemed to be extreme on both ends: the dweeb that wanted $50,000 on an $800,000 spread with NONE OF HIS CAPITAL on the line should stop smoking illegal stuff and your fee of $5000 on a $100,000 spread seems a bit on the low side. Either way, you want everyone's motivation to stay optimal. What should be a good middle-of-the-road % rate of compensation for a bird-dog in an average deal?

    Chris

  • Developer · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    19y

    Christy, your real world experience and common-sense business ethics come through in your post. I am an investor/developer working on new/rehab housing in Chicago, partnering with investors on deals and consulting with investors on deal structures and organizational development (setting up LLCs and corporations).

    I learned a great deal from your post and am already putting your suggestions and insights to use.

    I would like to correspond with you to learn more from you about your deal philosophies and experiences. I am also interested in doing deals and if you are interested in partnering with someone in Chicago send me an e-mail and we can start corresponding. I have some deals I am working on right now with multi-unit buildings, two-to-four flat buildings, single family homes and new construction opportunities.

    Again, thanks for your very insightful post. You helped many people with your words of wisdom.

  • Member since 2008 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    I would like to personally thank you for this information. It will be very useful to me in my business.
    Thank you again, Ed

  • Member since 2008 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    great post Christy. It was long... but 100% true and worth the read. I am a wholesaler in Atlanta, Ga, and run into this quite a bit.

  • Member since 2008 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Thank you so much for taking the time to inspire us all with your knowledge and wisdom. I learnt a great deal from this thread and most importantly, I am learning so much since joining this forum.

    Thanks to you all.

  • Member since 2008 · 452 posts · 18 votes
    19y

    A deal is where you make money in the end.

    What isn't a deal is when you break even or lose money.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.