Do I really need my real estate license?

Do I really need my real estate license?

Investor · Fuquay Varina, NC · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes
Hello :) I am an entrepreneur in the Raleigh area and I am new to the REI world. I am learning a lot and I love it. I feel like I should get my RE license just to know that side of the business but I have no desire to sell homes, it would just be to learn the laws and have access to the MLS listings. I know I don't need it to be an investor but do you think it really helps to have it? My main business takes up most of my time so I don't want to take on this new license unless it's really necessary and worth my time. What do you think?
1Reply
160 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Livingston, MT · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 16 votes
9y

No. Not worth it, not necessary .  Find an established ,  reputable agent who understands the business that you want to pursue  and make them a part of your team just the same as an accountant  or attorney .  You should  be focused on analyzing and funding  deals, not worrying about contracting  and scheduling.  Best,
Brian 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2014 · 120 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs EPA is still up and coming :) I sold my PDX house and it's more than tripled since (ouch)

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    9y

    Hello and I am glad you have a question like that!  Only licensed people have a yes answer.  I was a broker for about 30 years.  It did help me but having to be honest about it is hard for honest people.  It depends on how good the school is and if you have the time.  It can be a good network place and a good learning space but I probably paid over 20K to keep it.  It also depends on your state and what it requires as laws and rules go.  In Texas, I had to renew my license every two years.  Every 2years I had to take a class and pay $500 to renew my license.  The reason I originally got a license was that college degree created a way to get a license back in 1980 I did not have to take any extra classes.  Having two take 2 full days of class to renew my license could be a pain.  It all depends on what you think about your time and your necessity.  Do not listen to real estate brokers or salespeople who offer their opinion.

    Write me if you have any other questions.  I have been studying real estate investment for about 18 months for about 8 to 10 hours a day while I medically recover.  I have gotten a bunch of crap from other people who are mainly interested in sales.  I am a little more opinionated since I turned 60 and I see more as sales than I used to.  Reading Robert Kyosaki did not hurt that much but it woke me up to a bunch more scrutiny that are sales place.

    Good luck to you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.