I'm panicking! Just bought my first property.

I'm panicking! Just bought my first property.

Brewster, NY · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 16 votes

Hi folks. I joined BP awhile back when my wife and I decided that we really wanted to get involved in real estate investing, namely flipping. I've tried to educate myself and have looked at a bunch of properties but never found the right one and didn't feel we were totally prepared anyway. I kind of laid off my search over the past few months.

Fast forward to last month when my agent sent me a listing for a foreclosure property about a mile from my home. It's a 2bd/1bth, detached single family, 1201sq ft, 1 car garage. Listing price was $125k. Property taxes are approx $4200/year, which is low for this area. Got a showing and the house seems very solid. Needs updating, but no signs of water damage anywhere, no mold that we could see, finished basement was totally dry, newer windows. Just needs a good cleaning, a kitchen and bath update and some cosmetic work. We may opt to put in new floorsThe house is a 4 minute walk to the train station and a 2 minute drive to 2 major highways, so an amazing commuter house. Great rental potential. My agent and I checked rental comps and it appears that $1600 - 1800/month is a solid number. We told my agent that we wanted to submit an offer. He got back to me the following day that the house was going to be auctioned off online.

To make a long story short, I signed up for the auction site. The opening bid was $52k and there was a reserve (plus this had to be an all cash sale). I wasn't super keen on buying this way as I had no experience, so I decided I would only go as high as $80k, figuring that I'd either get outbid or the reserve wouldn't be met. In the last minutes of the auction, there was some steady bidding action. When the price got to $77k, I submitted what was going to be my final bid of $79.5k. To my surprise, I won the auction but the reserve wasn't met. About 30 minutes later, I got notified that the seller decided to take my offer, even though it was less than the reserve price. That was 3 days ago and myself and the seller have already signed the contracts and earnest money has been sent to the title company.

So why am I panicking? I feel totally unprepared. I had to act so fast because of the auction and now I kind of don't know where to start. Even though I read so much months ago, I never really read anything about being a landlord. I also didn't know much about doing all cash purchases. I'm going to try to search for as much information as I can on my own, but if anyone has any advice or links to helpful posts or websites, I'd truly appreciate it!! Here are a few of my big concerns:

1. I'm laying out a lot of cash. I'm planning on getting an equity loan from my bank after 6 months to replace my bank account. Any advice on this?

2. Any good sites on what order to do rehab work in the house? Not sure where to start.

3. Where can I find the best info on being a landlord? I see there is a lot right here on BP that I'll read through, but anything else? Also, what about lease forms, etc.

4. How do I do background and credit checks for potential tenants? Am I better off listing with a real estate agent rather than placing ads?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'll be grateful for any advice. Thanks!!!!!

9Reply
213 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 289 posts · 374 votes
9y

@Jeff Bisgier Your panic is understandable but believe me, many of us have been in similar positions and for most people it works out. You say you have been reading and preparing yourself so trust yourself a little. First things first. Decide what work you plan to do. Set a budget for yourself and figure out if you will contract the work or do it yourself. A good cleaning and fresh coat of paint go a long way. Figure out a schedule to get work comleted on time. I assume you want to get it rented as soon as possible so don't over do any reno. Make it just nice enough that people will be attracted to it. As you Say Brewster has a good location for commuters, you'll find a renter. It sounds like you are most worried about the reno work. Reach out to me at any time if you like. I'm up in Dutchess county regularly and happy to relay some of my experience with my first reno/rental in Poughkeepsie. 

See this reply in the discussion

71 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 296 posts · 143 votes
    9y

    Congratz Jeff. hopefully after talking to everyone the shakes have worn off. A quick note on the fix and flip. If that is something that your still looking at make sure to factor in your capital gains taxes. BP is a great place to look for forms and stories to help with managing tenants. If your looking to buy cash refi and then repeat the process. I would find a good bank and let them know what your plans are. They can tell you what you need to have in place ahead of time so when the time comes there are no surprises. Also look at your protection plan (llc, corp, insurance). Dealing with tenants is a whole new bag of worms and you have to protect your personal assets. 

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    Jeff, you rock! Everything is on this site. I am sure you will know the answers to your questions. Good luck to you!
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    During the time you are renovating you need to concentrate on learning your state landlord tenant regulations. You have a ton of legal responsibilities to learn before you can begin to think about being a landlord. Do not even consider advertising for applicants till you know the law. 

    Next you need to study and learn every detail regarding how to screen applicants. That will be the most important job you will ever do as a new landlord. Screw it up and you will pay big time. That is some major pressure and you need to mitigate all risk, trust no applicant to ever tell the truth and have zero compassion for their sob stories. The most important advice is ...do not even think of them as people, they are only a collection of facts/information. Feelings and compassion are your worst enemies when screening. There is a long list of applicant types you should not even consider screening but you will need to learn them through your own research.

    Finally pull every cent you can of equity out of the property if you do not decide to flip. The rent should be more than enough to cover the mortgage and expenses. Leaving equity in the property is going to kill your cash flow on this property because you bought so low. Why would equity kill cash flow.......opportunity value of cash is worth 3X the prevailing interest rates. Money lying dead in a rental is a crime committed by those that do not understand investing..   

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jeff Bisgier   I agree completely with @Jay Hinrichs. Do your due diligence immediately. Verify you got very luck. Remember that more investigation might be needed on an auction transaction than on a simple MLS listing.

  • Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Congratulations Jeff, I can help with point 3 and 4.  

    I can share the cmls lease form with you or the lease forms can be purchased at Staples and book stores.  

    The steps I have been using as an agent for my landlord clients is...

    I advertise the rental property on the cmls, online, social media.  As soon as a person is interested I show them the property, get them to complete a information form. (I can provide the form if you would like to have it)  The information form provides the lessor info eg name, address, work information, previous landlord information etc, I  do 3credit checks,  get pay stubs and call their work to make sure that they working and confirm salary is correct.  If they meet the required credit, and compare his salary to the rent.  If it all checks then we complete the lease.  

    Other important points that I share with my landlords is -

    If you do accept a security deposit it has to be put in an escrow account (CT), cant take more then 2months of rental security and if the tenant is 65+ then one month security only.  Interest on the escrow needs to be paid to tenant at annual anniversary.

    Having insurance is very important, making sure the place is in living condition, disclose environment hazard with tenants is very important.

    I hope this helps, please feel free to contact me.

  • Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes
    9y

    First off don't worry. 

    Second off good for you man you pulled the trigger and you're a real REI.

    Sounds like if you follow the advice people already suggested you'll do fine.  If you grind and work you're *** off you'll not only learn a ton but you'll come out with some nice returns in a few years.

    I can't really ad anything else from what other people recommended... but I think you should be proud.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 351 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    @Jeff Bisgier Congratulations! I think you finally did what so many people don't (you put some skin in the game). Now with your savings invested, you are going to need to put what you learned to the test.

    First, I'd get in touch with a few contractors, talk with them and walk the property with them. Get an idea of rehab costs

    Second, a book that has helped me a lot with becoming my own landlord: The Landlord's Survival guide by Jeffrey Taylor (I'm not affiliated with the author)

    I'd also setup an account with a tenant screening company if you plan to manage the property yourself. If not, start interviewing property managers in your area

    Lastly, start talking to different banks regarding cashing your equity back out. Some have different seasoning periods (Length of time you own the home before you can tap the equity)

    Best of luck to you, and let us know how it goes!

  • Investor · Galway, Galway · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Great to see another Newbie getting started!  

    Best of luck with it Jeff.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    I panicked on my first deal. It's very intimidating as a first experience. What helped me was just connecting with other investors to find referrals on good contractors to get things updated and reading the Book on Managing Rental Properties by B Turner. Those two action items really got me going and made me feel comfortable. It's really not bad at all on the other side of being done with the first deal. I had a gentleman on here send me a link to Rental Owners Association website where they provide a list of preferred contractors and vendors in my area. You should Google that as a good start. Good luck. Feel free to reach out if you have questions.
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 240 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    @Jeff Bisgier - Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope you keep updating the adventure. I know I will be in your shoes soon. Can't wait to hear what the ARV is! I am wondering something though...my bank has told me that when I refinance sooner than a year's worth of "seasoning," they will only refinance on the amount that I purchased the property for, not on the ARV. Is this true with most banks? I have not checked with any others.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 20 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Betty Cruz:

    @Jeff Bisgier - Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope you keep updating the adventure. I know I will be in your shoes soon. Can't wait to hear what the ARV is! I am wondering something though...my bank has told me that when I refinance sooner than a year's worth of "seasoning," they will only refinance on the amount that I purchased the property for, not on the ARV. Is this true with most banks? I have not checked with any others.

     Check with others. 

  • Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 19 votes
    9y
    Woohoo, let the adventure begin!
  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    So view this as an opportunity and not something to shy away from.  The fear can be healthy in a way in getting you to laser focus on what needs done. It's a constant kick in the backside.  It should be channeling all of your energy towards answering those questions above by calling people, researching on the net and going to networking events to meet people.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 73 votes
    9y
    Ask the BP community for a contractor recommendation in your area. If you get a good one you should be able to ask them questions about what comes first - definitely good that you're thinking about that. If it really doesn't need much work the order shouldn't be toooo important - usually you can run into "order" issues if you're replacing plumbing, moving walls, etc.
  • Rental Property Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Hey @Jeff Bisgier, congratulations and welcome to being a property owner! There's a lot of good info in prior posts so I'll refrain from repeating. The one additional recommendation I would have is that if you can squeeze in one more bedroom and at least a half bath, then you can better market to families (vs maybe roommates). My experience has been that families then to be more long-term and stable tenants. 

  • Realtor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    Congrats on taking that leap! I was told if it doesn't scare you, it's not worth it. Stay the course & enjoy the ride!
  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, Florida Area · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    Go to Lowes or Home Depot at 6am and find a few good General Contractors, and schedule them to come out on the same day and time to give estimates so that there will be a sense of competition for the best quote.  Order "The Book On Rental Property Investing" by Brandon Turner.  That book has been very valuable for me!

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    congrats Jeff! I'm getting ready to close on my first deal and am going through the contractor bidding phase now. Let's stay in touch since we r at the same point. Although I'm in it for a flip so I'm looking at 60-75 days rehab max. 

  • Investor · Oxford, MI · Member since 2016 · 110 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Not sure if allowed to post this (noting another site)...?  but I find for actual landlord/tennant advice  if you go that way that the website landlord protection agency a great source (bigger pockets is excellent investment advice).  They have ready documents free & nominal costs for leases in your state and whatnot.  Picking tenant checklist/proccess is excelent.

    my 2 cents- I allways share be sure minor repairs including plugged toilets and drains are the tennants responsibilities ;-)  If allowed for your state it is in their lease agreements for your state.

  • Brighton, MA · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I can understand your "panick" and being overwhelmed...but I think that you would really need to screw up badly to not make money on this one OR to not get a rent of at least 1400/Month. Sounds like a good BRRR...I think you found a good one. Very well done pulling the trigger and making it happen. You make money on the buy, this was a good buy from what you are saying. Now just do the work! I am also curious, where is a good order of operations list when rehabbing a home? I just found this on BP, what else? https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/09/11/step-step-guide-rehabbing-rental/

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 193 posts · 98 votes
    9y

    Rental cash flow spreadsheet, you can download something like this from google if you don't already have one. Just a great way to organize your thoughts and possible profit potential so you're not panicking so much! Take a deep breath it sounds like you made a good deal!

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    spend money on preventative maintenance/rehab.  Replace plumbing valves and hoses, washer hook ups, pull and clear drain traps. Check subflooring under toilet. Led lighting.  Also make sure thermostat and appliances are easy to use.  New interior paint is good.  One of my properties I put in new tile and paint.  A real germ a phone loved it. After 3 years, it looks the same as the day he moved in.  If it looks super clean you have a chance to attract someone for whom that is important.  Likely, they will want to keep it that way.  Go cheap on blinds--i seem to replace those all of the time.  Also, remove storm doors--just another thing that will break and adds no value.  If fridge has a water line, disconnect it all the way to the copper.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 477 posts · 263 votes
    9y

    not sure if someone mentioned this already but here it goes: 

    Go to your realtor: ask him if he can help you lease it. He should have experience with it. If he doesn't, go to someone else. (Take the pressure and liability off your plate and on to a professional like him). 

    - you can also search for a rental managing agency - pay them to rented it out and maybe manage the rental for 6 months to a year: then put it on cruise control and do it yourself (once you learn the ins and outs from them). Also ask your or A realtor for references as to a good company.

    - a great idea would be: to clean it out spend 15k to 20k on it and sell it for your arv of 180k then get the profit and go buy another one and then rent it out: only this time your profit is making money not your out of pocket money. Less risk and you will feel a lot better having your 100k sitting in the bank.

    - ask realtors that focus on flipping properties to recommend their best contractors. (You really just need really good subs: if you are not doing major work)

    - go to your local Home Depot early between 5am and 6am: those contractors- in my experience- have been the best. They plan ahead- early hard workers - etc check their work and references 

    - if you didn't before- pay the 300$ and get an inspection - if you want to know everything about your home. 

    - demo first- roughs next- finishes last 

    Important people: electricians and plumbers 

    - * also do nothing to the property and sell it to a buy and hold investor for $150k 

    Great deal for them - great deal for you! 

    Let me know if you have any questions 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 120 posts · 98 votes
    9y
    Look into the brrr strategy. Buy , rehab, rent refinance it. (If the numbers work) once it's rented out , find a local credit union or bank to do a cash out refinance , get your cash back and potentially do it all over again.
  • Investor · Menifee, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Super exciting! The hardest part is getting the guts to get into that first project and you did it! My first rehab was a nightmare, leaky roof, termite damage, full gut in kitchen and both baths, rats in the attic with urine soaked insulation, new hvac, 4 - 40' tall trees to remove, a burst in the main line, not to mention roaches running up my arm. Looking back it's the best thing I ever did!! No matter what you encounter you will deal with it and thank yourself later! Love that quote about fear and excitement! 

    You mentioned something about doing the inspection when you get the keys...can you do that before the close? With your contractor? That's the most important piece of the whole puzzle. The sooner you have that figured the better. 

    If your calculations and estimations of value are all correct I would agree with your strategy to rehab and hold it (BRRR method). If it doesn't end up being a major overhaul, calculating $25/sf would be a $30K rehab. Add an overage budget, holding costs, etc. In six months cash out refi for $135K (75% of your $180K value). You get every dime back and maybe then some. On top of that if you hold the property, with your figures on rents and taxes (I added in property management because you'll be too busy looking for your next project to manage this one) you'd have a cash flow of $4K per year ($336 per month).

    I strongly agree with the poster who said to look into adding a bedroom or bath. 

    You're on your way! Great job!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.