Would you recommend working at an established firm or jumping in?

Would you recommend working at an established firm or jumping in?

Rockville Centre, NY · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 3 votes

Hi guys,

I've spent the last year educating myself - I took a Real Estate Principles course at Harvard Extension School, and I'm currently completing my Real Estate Salespersons course.

I would like to invest in commercial real estate - not sure yet what subset, but I'm thinking multifamily might be a good place to start.

Is it better to get a job in the field for a few years? Or is it possible to just attend meet ups and network to eventually immerse yourself in a deal.

I've found that there's only so much you can learn from books - real life practical experience goes a long way.

Thanks,

-Shon

0Reply
12 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 940 posts · 695 votes
    9y

    @Shon Butani - Are you currently looking for work and wanting to be in RE full-time?  That should be your first question I think.    I always recommend working for someone if that fits with your career goals.  You can only learn so much in a course.  Most of it is hands-on - regardless of industry.

    I'm sure there are more commercially focused folks on BP who can advise better, but that would be my first question.

    Best of luck!  Keep us posted! :)

  • Real Estate Consultant · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I suggest you go to different REI events as well as dig through these forums with a specific purpose. That purpose would be to find out who is doing what you want to do. Once you narrow that down to a few people, maybe someone local to you, have a conversation with them. See how well you get along and their willingness to answer question of a newbie. Then find out how you can help this person out. Ask them how you can help them in their business. By virtue of helping them out you will have a key in the door to ask questions and get involved in their business. As you learn the business from the inside, you will become more knowledgeable and confident.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mineola, NY · Member since 2014 · 838 posts · 212 votes
    9y

    @Shon Butani always start with the education part. Multifamily is great, thats our focus and we love it. Welcome to BP!

  • Rockville Centre, NY · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the replies guys, makes a lot of sense!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.