I have a Partner with Capital, how can I bring Value to the Table

I have a Partner with Capital, how can I bring Value to the Table

Greeley, CO · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes

Good Evening from Denver,

Today I was talking with one of my old bosses , shooting the bull about nothing. But then I asked him what he wanted to do after he was done welding, and if he had given it any thought. So I brought up Real Estate, and the BP website and tried to describe to him what I've learned so far. I did my best to explain the House Hacking Concept, BRRRR, etc.

Apparently, I must have done a pretty good job, because he said, "Sold! I like it" 

I told him, "I'm not selling anything, I'm just telling you what I've learned so far"

Well he didn't seem to care, and told me he wants to get involved and we should become 50/50 partners in this. "But I don't have much capital to put down Boss, and if you put down most of the capital, you would get the lion's share," I said. He agreed, but still seemed unchanged, he wants me to look for deals for us to do them together. 

I should shed light to our personal relationship between him and I. We worked together in the past, and he was my main mentor in the field of welding. The guy has done so much for me, and I consider him a fatherly figure away from home. For my current job, and title; I owe him my success. 

How can I bring value to the table?

Better yet, how can I not let the guy down? 

It would encourage me to hear positive responses from the community on the best course of action in this situation. 

Regards,

Jacob Resendez

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 8 votes
9y

Hey @Jacob Resendez!

Welcome to the community and RE investing!  It can be a very rewarding experience and you'll get out of it what you put into it.

To start out with I'd recommend talking about your shared goals and what you are both looking to achieve. Are you looking for passive cash flow and appreciation potential available in buy and hold rentals? Do you want a quick return on your cash and more management responsibilities that can be found through more active investments like flipping or wholesaling? Are you just looking for a place to park cash and achieve a decent return like via a REIT or RE investment fund?

Once you determine what your goals are and what path you want to go down  the best way to get started is just to constantly evaluate deals.  Make or find spreadsheets to model what you think potential investments would look like and use & update them constantly.  Get familiar with the numbers and your strategy so that when you see deals you know right away if it has potential for you or not.  Really get to know your chosen niche and market area.  For me this was a 6 month process of plugging numbers into a buy and hold spreadsheet I made.  Once you know deals and what you can expect you'll know when a good one comes along. Along the way you'll also have seen a few other deals happen and you've read a bunch more on BP and other resources about best practices for your investment method.

Take that good deal down and constantly be evaluating what you could have done and what you can do better.  Eventually after you do a few you won't have to rely on your spreadsheets as much because you'll know the numbers off the top of your head.  At this point you'll have massive value to people like your boss.  All the knowledge and research you put in finding & evaluating deals initially is the value that you can provide right now.  As you and your knowledge become more value you can change the splits and returns because your experience and track record is more valuable so your expertise is worth more.

Keep going and keep us updated!  Share your wins and losses so others can learn from your experience just like you have done.  

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Hey @Jacob Resendez!

    Welcome to the community and RE investing!  It can be a very rewarding experience and you'll get out of it what you put into it.

    To start out with I'd recommend talking about your shared goals and what you are both looking to achieve. Are you looking for passive cash flow and appreciation potential available in buy and hold rentals? Do you want a quick return on your cash and more management responsibilities that can be found through more active investments like flipping or wholesaling? Are you just looking for a place to park cash and achieve a decent return like via a REIT or RE investment fund?

    Once you determine what your goals are and what path you want to go down  the best way to get started is just to constantly evaluate deals.  Make or find spreadsheets to model what you think potential investments would look like and use & update them constantly.  Get familiar with the numbers and your strategy so that when you see deals you know right away if it has potential for you or not.  Really get to know your chosen niche and market area.  For me this was a 6 month process of plugging numbers into a buy and hold spreadsheet I made.  Once you know deals and what you can expect you'll know when a good one comes along. Along the way you'll also have seen a few other deals happen and you've read a bunch more on BP and other resources about best practices for your investment method.

    Take that good deal down and constantly be evaluating what you could have done and what you can do better.  Eventually after you do a few you won't have to rely on your spreadsheets as much because you'll know the numbers off the top of your head.  At this point you'll have massive value to people like your boss.  All the knowledge and research you put in finding & evaluating deals initially is the value that you can provide right now.  As you and your knowledge become more value you can change the splits and returns because your experience and track record is more valuable so your expertise is worth more.

    Keep going and keep us updated!  Share your wins and losses so others can learn from your experience just like you have done.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    Jacob, you have something most people are desperately looking for in this business, A mentor with cash! Just keep educating yourself and attending your local REIA. Bring someone more experienced into the deal if you have to and you will still get a piece of the pie as the facilitator.

    Just make sure you are learning everything from this experienced person so that you can duplicate it in the future. Definitely stay away from gurus and boot camps! You have the cash, DO A DEAL.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greeley, CO · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 99 votes
    9y

    @Jacob Resendez your boss already sees value in you otherwise he would not have asked you to be partners.  A quote from Richard Branson comes to mind: "If someone gives you an opportunity and you don't know how to do it say yes and then go figure out how to do it."  Keep educating yourself and networking and that will be value you bring.

    That being said, I understand you don't want to jeopardize your relationship with him.  Start with a small deal and structure it in a way to protect his capital.  i.e. if it is a flip he receives 100% of his initial investment back after expenses and then any money left over is split equally.  You can do something similar with rentals.

  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Jacob Resendez Finding, structuring, and managing the deal would potentially warrant 50%. Even without bringing money to the deal.
    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.