FHA Loan Theoretical (Garage as extra living-space!)

FHA Loan Theoretical (Garage as extra living-space!)

Union City, CA · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 1 vote

Interested in trying the FHA loan route to acquire first investment property. I understand that the property must be occupied for 1-year, and mixed reviews as to whether rooms can be rented out during that time period.

  The following is probably a dumb question, but I'm very interested in hearing expert advice or opinions on the subject! So here goes...

  Assuming that you can rent out other rooms while occupying one room in a multi-family property (i.e. duplex), would it be possible to live in the garage (not sure about the legal process of converting garage into actual living space) and still qualify the 1-year owner occupancy requirement for FHA? 

  I'm thinking about parking my camper in the garage, and if I could live in it while maxing out the other rooms, I could really maximize the house hack. I'm already thinking that the vehicle creates an issue, since it's technically not part of the house...willing to convert garage to living space in that case! 

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Glenn Gillen you can....as long as nobody finds out about it...odds of being discovered are slim, but it sounds like you are utilizing the federal government to insure your mortgage for a house you will not be living in. This may be different if you were not charging rent.

    Get settled and re-finance...find a lender that won't require a long seasoning period in your area (local banks or credit unions) After you refinance, you no longer have the 1-yr owner occupant deed restriction.

    Good luck! 

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Union City, CA · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks @Brandon Sturgill! Very helpful, will keep your advice in mind! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.