• Rental Property Investor
  • Perry Hall, MD
Votes |
Wrapping my head around 30 yr vs 15 yr loan

Jon K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Perry Hall, MD
Posted May 25 2017, 18:57

I was hoping folks could help me weigh the pros and cons of using one term over the other for a buy and hold investment. As I think long term about rehabs and refinances or even turnkeys when the numbers work I keep flip-flopping between the two. In my specific circumstance i do not "need" the cash flow. All profit after reserves for maintenance/cap ex/etc will rolled into new investments.

For the sake of the conversation let's say this was a fresh refinance on a BRRRR so we have 75% LTV. I know you have more cash in hand on a per month basis with a 30 year but with the lower interest rate of a 15 year your total profits would be higher. You'd still have access to the equity through a HELOC but then you're making interest payments via a variable rate to use your own money. At the same time with a 15 year your payments amortize faster which to me seems the equivalent of lowering expenses faster without effort.

I know this is all very dependent on individual goals and circumstances but what else may I be missing? I'm currently thinking that as long as I stiil have positive cash flow I'd be better off doing a 15 each time.

Loading replies...