Options for first time investing

Options for first time investing

Hilo, HI · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 12 votes

Hello BP. 

I am a "newbie" and have been a fan and listening to as many podcasts as possible. I will have funding available within the next 6 months (approx $150K) that I want to invest. I am looking to buy and hold SFH in the outskirts of the Denver metro area. I am from Englewood/Greenwood Village (college n Greeley), but have been living on The Big Island in Hi for the past 20+ years. I believe the rental market is more profitable in Colo than where I currently reside. Having this funding available, my question is: Should I invest in several properties taking out multiple loans, or just purchase 1 property with a larger down payment to reduce monthly loan payments? Then refinance that to purchase another? My goal is to buy a property each year for the next 4 years (at that point I am looking at moving back to Colo), then possibly purchasing multi-family units during the following 10 years. I am currently 47 and would like to have passive cash flow to be able to retire in the next 10 years. I am looking to meet other members and network for advice as well as meet new faces. Your advice?

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
9y

@Steve Kirsch Welcome to BP!

I am also new to the REI game so just my opinion without a lot of experience backing it up, but if you buy one at a time, and then take time to evaluate what you liked/didn't like about each deal, you can continue to learn and shape each deal in a way that better suits what you're trying to accomplish, as well as really learn the market well and network with people as you work through your deals. Feel free to reach out anytime, it might be beneficial for both of us to bounce ideas off one another.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bernard ReiszPro Member
    CPA delivering RE Tax Tools: 1031 Exchange, SDIRA, 401(k), Cost Seg · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 581 posts · 563 votes
    9y

    @Steve Kirsch

    Welcome to BP and best of luck in your real estate investing!

    A great place to start is https://www.biggerpockets.com/meet which you can use to find like-minded people in your area or your target area.

    You'll find some helpful tips at https://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere.

    See you on future threads!

  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    9y

    Welcome to BP @Steve Kirsch

    With little help, you can hit your goal easily. Definitely, dig deep, ask help, look for information.

    Good Luck

  • Chris LopezPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 858 votes
    9y

    @Steve Kirsch - Welcome to BP. You should really connect with @Charles Roberts. He's a realtor who has done hundreds of deals with clients in the Denver area. I know he's helped quite a few long distance investors buy property.

    Full disclaimer: He's my mentor now. There's a reason I seemed him out. He knows his stuff. 

  • Investor · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Thanks Chris.

    Steve, nice to meet you. Feel free to touch base if you want to talk about real estate investing in metro Denver, it's what we do!

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 404 posts · 227 votes
    9y

    @Steve Kirsch First of all, welcome to Bigger Pockets. 

    Like many things involving investing, REI has trade-offs of risk vs reward. In relation to your question, higher leverage generally equates to better returns but more risk. Conventional financing is only going to allow a certain level of risk for the lender by controlling your LTV (Purchase 85% max for single family and 75% max for multifamily). Using leverage allows you to spread your dollars across more investments and minimize your capital input, maximizing your return on investment. There's also value in not putting all your eggs in one basket with a single property unless of course you're looking at something with a substantial number of units where that risk can be reduced.

    Ultimately it comes down to your personality. If you're seeking cash flow on SFHs in the Denver area, you'll want to work on sourcing below market deals that you can do some light rehab on to improve your cash flow. You'll probably have some better luck with cash flow on multifamily if you can find them.

    Good luck getting started. Let us know how we can help you.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Steve Kirsch Welcome to BP!

    I am also new to the REI game so just my opinion without a lot of experience backing it up, but if you buy one at a time, and then take time to evaluate what you liked/didn't like about each deal, you can continue to learn and shape each deal in a way that better suits what you're trying to accomplish, as well as really learn the market well and network with people as you work through your deals. Feel free to reach out anytime, it might be beneficial for both of us to bounce ideas off one another.

  • Hilo, HI · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    hey guys: @Bernard Reisz @Jared Bouzek @Charles Roberts @Ozzy Sirimsi 

    @Account Closed.

    Thanks for your input and support. I'm doing a lot of research currently. AND became a Pro Member today. I'll continue to reach out and contact you guys with questions. Definitely looking forward to building relationships benefitting all of us.

    Thanks again,

    Steve

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Steve Kirsch I would say your goals are a bit optimistic. I think it would be hard to generate cash flow from properties with only $150K in cash in the metro area that would fund retirement in 10 years. I think you will need to get creative and aggressive or live very frugally in retirement.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.