Why would someone not buy a turnkey property?

Why would someone not buy a turnkey property?

Nam NguyenPro Member
Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 19 votes

Signed up less than a week ago, listened to several podcasts and have read enough to make my head hurt.  One thing that stands out to me are turnkey properties.  

I've listened to a podcast that had @Nathan Brooks as a guest, read blogs from @Engelo Rumora, and seen posts from people like @Ali Boone who seem to be on the positive end of the turnkey spectrum.  I've done more than that trying to educate myself, but those are the three I think stand out when it came to understanding turnkey properties.

I think I'm pretty risk-adverse.  I'm an enlisted active duty Air Force guy with no car payments (I drive a 2001 Toyota Sienna with 284,000 miles that was handed down to me), no school loans (I worked in college and only took the classes that I could pay off.  Finished getting a BA in Liberal Studies, but that hasn't netted me much).  The only real debt I have is the rental in Fort Walton Beach that is being rented out (and I'm trying to re-evaluate how well/bad it is doing in this thread) and my current residence in South Riding, VA.

Why would someone not want to invest in a turnkey property?  It seems to be a very hands-off investment, and smarter people than me are managing it.  It may not be the most profitable real estate venture, but isn't it better than doing nothing?  Would it be smart/dumb to buy one with cash, and refinance it after 6 months and use that cash on another turnkey property?  Those answers and negative experiences are just as valuable to me as the positive ones because I'm confused on why someone wouldn't want to do it.  

2Reply
161 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y
Nam Nguyen You'll get 100 "it's great!" responses with 100 "this turnkey company screwed me!" Then it will settle into "it really depends on the vendor". You'll get a smattering of "you'll slightly overpay" and "you'll make more if you buy and rehab yourself". It's all true. Using a turnkey company won't magically de-risk your investment. Using/picking a turnkey company doesn't guarantee property management. Using a turnkey company does guarantee a quality rehab. And you will probably pay a little premium for the property. The latter makes sense as they did the work to improve the property. The only caution I'd think through is a turnkey company talking about cap rates (rather than comps) to justify a purchase price. And most of these companies have a great track record (and many were started) after the crash. It's really easy to be successful with a rising tide. Not meant to encourage or discourage using turnkey. Just for general awareness.
See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nam NguyenPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 19 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Vivek Khoche:

    @Nam Nguyen - You say you are pretty risk adverse therefore considering TK. There is enough on the thread about TK pros and cons and layers of marketing companies leading you to heaven or hell. Most important for you is what are you buying? Run your numbers, evaluate you financial situation and ability to take risk. Once you know the answers to what , how ,who and where would be nobrainer. Please read every page of this thread for real REI education and connect to OP to get next level as there is a limit on how much could be posted on public forum.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/22...

    Good Luck Investing

    Vivek 

    Holy crap that as an interesting read...

  • Investor · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 568 posts · 966 votes
    9y

    @Nam Nguyen Not necessarily. In some markets 70-100k can be enough for purchase price + rehab. 

    Networking. Private lending is mostly relationship based. When I do lend, I look at the borrower first (would I trust them with my money? Do they have a good financial and business sense? Are they hobby flippers or do they run a profitable business?) and the property 2nd (Is the purchase price plus repair cost 75% or less of ARV?).

    Your safeguard is the property. Let's say ARV is 110k, and you lend 50k for the purchase price, and the flipper funds the 20k for repairs. If they stop paying, you take a property that could potentially be worth 80-110k. Best case you make a profit. Worst case you'd at least get your initial investment back.

  • Nam NguyenPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    @Tom Ott @Nathan Brooks @Engelo Rumora Your podcasts and articles have helped me quite a bit.  Wanted to say thanks.

    Engelo...Is it difficult to own rentals in Australia?  I lived in Alice Springs and (visited Coober Peedy) for 2 years and could never get a reliable answer.

  • Investor · Fort Walton Beach , FL · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    @Billie Miller it sounds as though the cash required for entry into the Denver market is quite high. Fortunately I live in a market where purchasing a property for around $50k isn't completely unheard of and there are plenty of properties under $100k that have investment potential. The great Young Jeezy said it best, "Scared money don't make no money". Maybe someday I'll be able to afford playing with the big dawgs like yourself :)

  • Investor · Fort Walton Beach , FL · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    @Nam Nguyen I literally just got back from visiting my friend stationed in Alice Springs 3 weeks ago...

    As far as investing in Australia goes all I know is that real estate is quite expensive compared to many markets in the US. I stayed Air Bnb with a guy in Sydney and he purchased his 2 bed/2 bath 1,000 square foot place for around $700,000. I can't see how it would be possible to make a return renting one bedroom out for $50 a night. Not to mention his place was in an apartment high rise with the HOA fees pushing $500 a month.

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nam Nguyen:

    @Tom Ott @Nathan Brooks @Engelo Rumora Your podcasts and articles have helped me quite a bit.  Wanted to say thanks.

    Engelo...Is it difficult to own rentals in Australia?  I lived in Alice Springs and (visited Coober Peedy) for 2 years and could never get a reliable answer.

    I wouldn't touch the Aussie market mate

    It's very expensive.

    I also haven't kept my finger on the pulse for a while but they have made it harder to buy and own property as foreigner.

    Thanks and much success

  • Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 151 posts · 101 votes
    9y
    Jared Cuyler lol your Young Jeezy quote. I can't afford the cash to entry here either!! Hence my search out of state!!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.