Order a Second Home Inspection?

4 Replies

I had an inspection on a house done at the end of August. We have been negotiating repairs, lining up repair estimates, and have finally come to an agreement on repairs. Seller will cover all repairs and pay the vendors out of escrow after closing, at which time repairs will be scheduled. My question is, now that almost 2 months have passed, should I order a 2nd inspection since it has been a few weeks?

@Collin S.

It depends on how complicated is the original inspection report and your comfort zone. If it's an out of state property, it may be wise to use the original inspector to do a 2nd follow up inspection.

Who is  holding the escrow money? Assuming it's the title company or attorney, they would need proof from the vendors that the job is done, before the money is released to be paid to them. 

Sounds like the inspection contingency is over. What would be the point of another inspection other than to show what the first one missed?

Make sure someone reasonably competent checks that all the items have been completed appropriately before closing. Whether that's an inspector or yourself.

Otherwise, I don't see the need for a second inspection.

Around here, the day before or the day of closing there's a walk through to check if anything significant has changed. (Holes in the wall from move out, tree through the window, heat still works, water still runs, etc.)
Any issue can be dealt with prior to or at closing.

@Tom Gimer The thought was to see if anything else changed in the past two months. 

@Mike McCarthy The inspection repair items will not be fixed by closing. The repair funds will be held in escrow for me to schedule repairs after closing. 

It sounds like a walk through the day before closing will be sufficient. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here